collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 27 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 10:20:54 pm]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 03:37:43 am]


Re: Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by SunflowerP
[November 25, 2020, 06:51:33 pm]


Re: Crazy thought by Sefiru
[November 25, 2020, 06:18:59 pm]


Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by Delphinium
[November 25, 2020, 04:55:01 pm]

Author Topic: Lord of illusion.  (Read 2666 times)

perdurabofan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 39
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 07:23:58 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43291
*shakes head in disbelief*  I'm leaving this convo in a state of utter confusion...

 "For want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For want of a horse the rider was lost,
For want of a rider, the battle was lost,
For want of a battle the kingdom was
lost."

The loss of a simple horse shoe nail
in an unstable enviroment (battlefield)
causes the kingdom to be lost.
Private Caje: "Coward dies a thousand times, brave, only once."
Private Kirby: "That\'s about all it takes ain\'t it?"

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 07:34:08 pm »
Quote from: perdurabofan;43378
"For want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For want of a horse the rider was lost,
For want of a rider, the battle was lost,
For want of a battle the kingdom was
lost."

The loss of a simple horse shoe nail
in an unstable enviroment (battlefield)
causes the kingdom to be lost.

 
Yeah, butterfly.  That I understand.  But who is Ben Bernanke?  And why would he stumble into a toxic land fill?  That's where you lost me, hon.  And what has it got to do with your original post?  I am so confused.

perdurabofan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 39
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:01 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43381
Yeah, butterfly.  That I understand.  But who is Ben Bernanke?  And why would he stumble into a toxic land fill?  That's where you lost me, hon.  And what has it got to do with your original post?  I am so confused.

Ben Bernanke is Chief of the Federal
Reserve here. I was making fun of him
without realizing that this is an International
forum. The butterfly effect started when
Randall pointed out that thoughts have
energy and engery eqaual mass. So I
was thinking butterfly effect in the vein that
maybe a few extra nerons in someone might
give them an advantage in a contest between
someone casting a spell and someone
defending against it.
Private Caje: "Coward dies a thousand times, brave, only once."
Private Kirby: "That\'s about all it takes ain\'t it?"

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »
Quote from: perdurabofan;43385
Ben Bernanke is Chief of the Federal
Reserve here. I was making fun of him
without realizing that this is an International
forum. The butterfly effect started when
Randall pointed out that thoughts have
energy and engery eqaual mass. So I
was thinking butterfly effect in the vein that
maybe a few extra nerons in someone might
give them an advantage in a contest between
someone casting a spell and someone
defending against it.


Okay, the mist of confusion is lifting, and now I comprehend the question.  Assuming both parties are aware of this contest, surely the suggestion of a spell by the caster is enough to implant doubt and uncertainty in the castee, and the castee's own imagination would then go into overdrive, thereby negating the necessity of a spell at all?

perdurabofan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 39
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 10:21:11 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43394
Okay, the mist of confusion is lifting, and now I comprehend the question.  Assuming both parties are aware of this contest, surely the suggestion of a spell by the caster is enough to implant doubt and uncertainty in the castee, and the castee's own imagination would then go into overdrive, thereby negating the necessity of a spell at all?

 
Yes! IMO, bluff and bluster play the greatest
role in conflick.  So a few extra neons may not
mean much on their own but what if they
represent just a bit more alignment with
someone's True Will and so just a bit more
alignment with the universe or as above
as below than the other person? Maybe
just that little butterfly's worth would
be enough to get the favor of the
universe and prevail. This is of
course just wondering conjecture.
Private Caje: "Coward dies a thousand times, brave, only once."
Private Kirby: "That\'s about all it takes ain\'t it?"

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 05:04:57 am »
Quote from: perdurabofan;43399
Yes! IMO, bluff and bluster play the greatest
role in conflick.  So a few extra neons may not
mean much on their own but what if they
represent just a bit more alignment with
someone's True Will and so just a bit more
alignment with the universe or as above
as below than the other person? Maybe
just that little butterfly's worth would
be enough to get the favor of the
universe and prevail. This is of
course just wondering conjecture.

 
I've heard of Free Will, but not True Will. As for attaining more alignment with the universe, surely the more in harmony you are, the less likely the need to prevail over anything or anyone.

perdurabofan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 39
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 07:12:24 am »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43405
I've heard of Free Will, but not True Will. As for attaining more alignment with the universe, surely the more in harmony you are, the less likely the need to prevail over anything or anyone.

 I agree. Especially if an attacker is far
from  alignment and penciled in for
an Adjustment.  
"So with thy all; thou hast no right
but to do thy will.
Do that and no other shall
say nay."
Book of the Law chapter l
Private Caje: "Coward dies a thousand times, brave, only once."
Private Kirby: "That\'s about all it takes ain\'t it?"

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »
Quote from: perdurabofan;43416
I agree. Especially if an attacker is far
from  alignment and penciled in for
an Adjustment.  
"So with thy all; thou hast no right
but to do thy will.
Do that and no other shall
say nay."
Book of the Law chapter l

 
But, I like bending laws....

perdurabofan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 39
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 09:57:54 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43481
But, I like bending laws....

Then you would  be bending them
while at the same time not bending
them because it is thy Will. This
would invoke a visit from the
Quantum Entanglement Czar who
will be pissed that he can't fine
you because : "no other shall say
nay."
Private Caje: "Coward dies a thousand times, brave, only once."
Private Kirby: "That\'s about all it takes ain\'t it?"

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 06:57:50 am »
Quote from: perdurabofan;43484
Then you would  be bending them
while at the same time not bending
them because it is thy Will. This
would invoke a visit from the
Quantum Entanglement Czar who
will be pissed that he can't fine
you because : "no other shall say
nay."

 
Oh, goody. I do like visitors.  (note to self - bake cake)

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43501
Oh, goody. I do like visitors.  (note to self - bake cake)

 
hahaha!

feeling very Alice in wonderland here at the mo...
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;43524
hahaha!

feeling very Alice in wonderland here at the mo...

 
Oh, that started a couple of pages back...

Smokebender

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 93
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:46 am »
Quote from: perdurabofan;43399
Yes! IMO, bluff and bluster play the greatest
role in conflick.  So a few extra neons may not
mean much on their own but what if they
represent just a bit more alignment with
someone's True Will and so just a bit more
alignment with the universe or as above
as below than the other person? Maybe
just that little butterfly's worth would
be enough to get the favor of the
universe and prevail. This is of
course just wondering conjecture.


Ooo kkkk. There were to many posts to try and pick which to answer soooo.
The theory is on the butterfly effect is, a butterfly can flap it's wings in say Brazil and thus contribute to a hurricane in Jamaica.  A domino effect if you will.

To try and answer your original question with my own thoughts, I agree with Randall on the energy comment he made. There however may be variables that are overlooked. It's possible the sender exerted more energy than the receiver and overcame a shield. It's also possible the receiver didn't foresee something and had a flaw in his/her shield. It's possible the receiver didn't believe strongly and made a half hearted shield or simply constructed a shield for another purpose and didn't even have a shield up.

A sender that cannot penetrate a shield could also be looking at the same variables plus one. I know all to well about a lovers quarrel. Pfft, I'm 57 and divorced so go figure. I know the feeling of wanting to choke another to their knee's while giggling maniacally,,,,, but deep down I really didn't want to cause any harm.  It's the deep down subconscious part that may be the problem with the power. The heart deep down really isn't in it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:22:39 am by Smokebender »
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

Toriach

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 4
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 04:19:06 am »
Quote from: perdurabofan;42995
I never understood why the toughts
of one person should be stronger than
another's.  As far I know thoughts
have no weight, mass or muscle. So
is it the caster who causes effect with
negative magick against someone, or
do the various defenses by the castee
really cast doubt on their own strength
and open the door?

 
I would suggest that you think of Magick more the way you would a radio signal. I find that "strength* is more along the lines of signal strength, or signal to noise ratio. The more clear one's focus and intention is the more likely it is to be manifest.

As regards bounce back from casting an offensive spell against someone, there can be a whole host of reasons for it. Ranging from the target being shielded (either deliberately or naturally) to the caster not having a pure as focus as needed. However I believe that the caster is ultimately to blame for any ill effects because it means that they did not properly engineer the spell. I generally tend to view a spell like a computer program admittedly, but it seems to me that there is no reason why an order to dissipate if deflected or reflected cannot and should not be built into any spell cast, especially one of an offensive nature.

perdurabofan

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 39
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of illusion.
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:44 am »
Quote from: Toriach;44220
I would suggest that you think of Magick more the way you would a radio signal. I find that "strength* is more along the lines of signal strength, or signal to noise ratio. The more clear one's focus and intention is the more likely it is to be manifest.

As regards bounce back from casting an offensive spell against someone, there can be a whole host of reasons for it. Ranging from the target being shielded (either deliberately or naturally) to the caster not having a pure as focus as needed. However I believe that the caster is ultimately to blame for any ill effects because it means that they did not properly engineer the spell. I generally tend to view a spell like a computer program admittedly, but it seems to me that there is no reason why an order to dissipate if deflected or reflected cannot and should not be built into any spell cast, especially one of an offensive nature.

 Yes, I'd think there could be thousands of methpors
that could be used based on job experence or hobbies
etc. what if a castee anticipates the HAM radio
hobbyist using a radio signal methphor? couldn't
he visualize himself as being made of jamming
Chaff? What if the castor anticipates that the castee
will anticipe the castor using a radio methphor and
instead uses a wind methphor thus scattering the
Chaff man in an ambush.  I'm just having some
fun. But it does seem like there's a lot of rabbit
holes when it comes to spell casting. ;)
Private Caje: "Coward dies a thousand times, brave, only once."
Private Kirby: "That\'s about all it takes ain\'t it?"

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
946 Views
Last post August 30, 2011, 11:26:44 am
by Talvikki Wyntersong
6 Replies
1806 Views
Last post November 25, 2011, 11:27:32 am
by Rowanfox
4 Replies
1538 Views
Last post March 14, 2013, 02:00:09 am
by Morag
3 Replies
634 Views
Last post August 31, 2012, 05:52:57 pm
by RandallS
17 Replies
2349 Views
Last post June 24, 2018, 04:48:53 pm
by Owl

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal