collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:52:03 pm]


Re: Foods of the gods by arete
[Yesterday at 06:00:22 pm]


Re: Foods of the gods by Yei
[Yesterday at 05:47:58 pm]


Re: Recently Blogged by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 05:19:24 pm]


Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 05:13:39 pm]

Author Topic: New to herbs and spices magical meanings  (Read 1498 times)

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:54 pm »
I couldn't spell the stupid word correspondence. Did I spell that right? Anyway, I just got a book on Kindle called Pagan Portals: Kitchen Witchery or Witchcraft, and she has this herb and spices list and what they are good for. I'm totally confused and a total newbie to Kitchen Witchery even though I've been practicing for six months. This is the first book that I've gotten on the subject, since I've mainly been using intent in my food when I do spellwork and not worry so much on herbs.

I have a number of herbs in my kitchen like chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and a number of others. Help would be so needed and has anyone read the book?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:48:26 pm by FollowerofOdin »

Jack

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Location: Cascadia
  • Posts: 3181
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 98
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:02:28 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;107250
I couldn't spell the stupid word correspondence. Did I spell that right? Anyway, I just got a book on Kindle called Pagan Portals: Kitchen Witchery or Witchcraft, and she has this herb and spices list and what they are good for. I'm totally confused and a total newbie to Kitchen Witchery even though I've been practicing for six months. This is the first book that I've gotten on the subject, since I've mainly been using intent in my food when I do spellwork and not worry so much on herbs.

I have a number of herbs in my kitchen like chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and a number of others. Help would be so needed and has anyone read the book?

 
What exactly would you like to do? That would make it easier to give you advice.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »
Quote from: Jack;107259
What exactly would you like to do? That would make it easier to give you advice.

 
Protection, healing, and banishing. I live in a city where there's plenty of work so I don't need to do a spell for a job or money, as money will come with having a job. The list of herbs and spices was small so that's why I was asking. I do plan to buy a book that shows the magical properties of herbs and spices, but that will have to wait until later.

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 68
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:29:45 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;107250
I couldn't spell the stupid word correspondence. Did I spell that right? Anyway, I just got a book on Kindle called Pagan Portals: Kitchen Witchery or Witchcraft, and she has this herb and spices list and what they are good for. I'm totally confused and a total newbie to Kitchen Witchery even though I've been practicing for six months. This is the first book that I've gotten on the subject, since I've mainly been using intent in my food when I do spellwork and not worry so much on herbs.

I have a number of herbs in my kitchen like chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and a number of others. Help would be so needed and has anyone read the book?

 
Give yourself a break, dude - six months is like, not all that long and nobody could possibly expect you to have learned everything about herbs. It's a HUGE topic.

Garlic is good to have. Chilli powder and black pepper are good for making stuff to drive people away - although that's not really in food so much as it is making a sort of powder.

I haven't read the book in question, I'm afraid. Are you looking for purely magical correspondences, or more of a holistic kind of deal?

Enid

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 104
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:30:03 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;107295
Protection, healing, and banishing. I live in a city where there's plenty of work so I don't need to do a spell for a job or money, as money will come with having a job. The list of herbs and spices was small so that's why I was asking. I do plan to buy a book that shows the magical properties of herbs and spices, but that will have to wait until later.

 
So, keep in mind I am not a practitioner of "kitchen witchery" but I do some low magic and I have come to realize that herbs and spices on a magical level don't have the same meanings across every culture. It's more about imbuing your own will into something and part of why it works is YOU believe that it works.

Let's look at protection for an example:

What smells do you associate with feeling safe? For me, the smell of cinnamon makes me feel safe, because the safest place I can think of is my great grandmother's house where she made me cinnamon apple cider. Think about it and write down what comes to mind.

What are some things you can think of that would repel something? Diamactus Earth is something I have used, because it microscopically can cut the skin. Cayenne Pepper is really hot. Think about it, and write down what comes to mind.

Third is to create a barrier. Again, it's up to you what you feel would create a barrier.

Indexes of herbal meanings are great, but I've found the best ones come from your heart and your own experiences.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:58:48 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;107701
Give yourself a break, dude - six months is like, not all that long and nobody could possibly expect you to have learned everything about herbs. It's a HUGE topic.

Garlic is good to have. Chilli powder and black pepper are good for making stuff to drive people away - although that's not really in food so much as it is making a sort of powder.

I haven't read the book in question, I'm afraid. Are you looking for purely magical correspondences, or more of a holistic kind of deal?

 
I've used garlic before, to clean cuts out. I agree that six months is not long at all. I finished reading Pagan Portals and it had a lot of good info, which I'm going to be adding to my BOS. Thanks for your comments and I'm a woman. Though I'm not upset that you thought I was a Dude.

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 68
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:56:09 pm »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;107903
I've used garlic before, to clean cuts out. I agree that six months is not long at all. I finished reading Pagan Portals and it had a lot of good info, which I'm going to be adding to my BOS. Thanks for your comments and I'm a woman. Though I'm not upset that you thought I was a Dude.

 
Oh, I call everyone dude - I'm from the west coast. Men, women, trans people, dogs, cats...

I enjoyed 'The Wild & Weedy Apothecary' by Doreen Shababy - if you're not seeking purely magical uses, it's a good book. It contains instructions for tinctures and salves, as well as recipes for food. It didn't seem to have any glaring 'OH MY GOD IT WILL KILL YOU' mistakes, but I'm no expert. Anyway, I thought it was a good starting point.

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:37:17 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;107917
Oh, I call everyone dude - I'm from the west coast. Men, women, trans people, dogs, cats...

I enjoyed 'The Wild & Weedy Apothecary' by Doreen Shababy - if you're not seeking purely magical uses, it's a good book. It contains instructions for tinctures and salves, as well as recipes for food. It didn't seem to have any glaring 'OH MY GOD IT WILL KILL YOU' mistakes, but I'm no expert. Anyway, I thought it was a good starting point.

 
I'll check it out, thanks for the book info. I would love to fill my small bookcase with good books, not bad ones. But that, alone, is trial and error.

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 68
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: New to herbs and spices magical meanings
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:37:58 am »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;107935
I'll check it out, thanks for the book info. I would love to fill my small bookcase with good books, not bad ones. But that, alone, is trial and error.

 
It is indeed, but knowing that is half the battle! And even shitty books sometimes serve a purpose! ...even if that's only propping up a coffee table.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
3128 Views
Last post July 29, 2011, 06:03:48 am
by Chatelaine
24 Replies
16195 Views
Last post February 02, 2012, 08:26:24 pm
by Finn
13 Replies
2287 Views
Last post September 02, 2012, 04:01:45 am
by SunflowerP
7 Replies
1396 Views
Last post February 12, 2013, 11:21:26 am
by dionysiandame
4 Replies
676 Views
Last post June 10, 2013, 06:24:23 pm
by Leanan Sidhe

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 53
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal