Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Graveyard dirt question  (Read 8071 times)

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
Graveyard dirt question
« on: August 03, 2020, 05:52:02 pm »
Ya'll are probably wondering why I'm asking this. Well, it's just curiosity. I have a friend who practices hoodoo who gets graveyard dirt and I've heard about it being used in voodoo and hoodoo. I guess my question is that where do you get the dirt from? I know from a graveyard, that is a given, but you wouldn't go to some random person's grave and dig there. I wouldn't think at least. Do people just use dirt that is not near buried people? It's a stupid question, but I was wondering if anyone knew.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
Re: Graveyard dirt question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 06:02:11 pm »
Ya'll are probably wondering why I'm asking this. Well, it's just curiosity. I have a friend who practices hoodoo who gets graveyard dirt and I've heard about it being used in voodoo and hoodoo. I guess my question is that where do you get the dirt from? I know from a graveyard, that is a given, but you wouldn't go to some random person's grave and dig there. I wouldn't think at least. Do people just use dirt that is not near buried people? It's a stupid question, but I was wondering if anyone knew.

I'm not an expert, but I have read a little about it.  My understanding is, you pick a grave ( and there are some guidelines that make certain types of people more desirable for this), and make an offering to that person's spirit ( traditionally a small silver coin, I think) in return for using the dirt from their grave.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:38:43 pm »

It's not a stupid question at all!

I can't speak to everyone's practice, but what I was taught by a hoodoo practitioner is that you select a grave based on your magical needs.  For example, if you're working to boost your creativity, select the grave of an artist, author, or someone equally creative.  Keep in mind that you tend to get the whole package of the deceased's personality - so the grave of the posthumously famous writer who died a penniless, alcoholic suicide might not be the right energy if you're looking to give a magical boost to your attempts to become an NYT best-selling author with a long and prosperous career.   

After selecting the grave, ask permission of the deceased and only proceed if you get an affirmative answer.  Take only the smallest amount needed - a good way is to pull up a small bit of grass, shake the dirt from the roots and then replant the grass.  Leave an offering of thanks for the deceased, such as a coin, and an offering to the land, such as a bit of water for that replanted grass.   

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 01:32:02 am »
It's not a stupid question at all!

I can't speak to everyone's practice, but what I was taught by a hoodoo practitioner is that you select a grave based on your magical needs.  For example, if you're working to boost your creativity, select the grave of an artist, author, or someone equally creative.  Keep in mind that you tend to get the whole package of the deceased's personality - so the grave of the posthumously famous writer who died a penniless, alcoholic suicide might not be the right energy if you're looking to give a magical boost to your attempts to become an NYT best-selling author with a long and prosperous career.   

After selecting the grave, ask permission of the deceased and only proceed if you get an affirmative answer.  Take only the smallest amount needed - a good way is to pull up a small bit of grass, shake the dirt from the roots and then replant the grass.  Leave an offering of thanks for the deceased, such as a coin, and an offering to the land, such as a bit of water for that replanted grass.   

Thanks. I was hoping that it wasn't stupid. It makes sense now. I appreciate both of you for answering my question.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Tags: