collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Finding Magical Properties  (Read 5510 times)

Annie Roonie

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 915
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Finding Magical Properties
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:34:22 am »
There are many well known magical properties of plants, rocks, animals etc.. They have their foundations in various traditions and customs frequently. And there are magical properties that some people come to acknowledge and use from personal experience.

I am interested in how others go about finding these properties from personal experience and/or how they have been recognized. Also of interest is how these properties have been used.

Have you ever come across something you believe has an energy that can be used for magic in some way?  If you care or are able to share what it is and how you came to this knowledge, it might be beneficial to others and for certain would be interesting to me.

Thank you if you can add something and if you can't thanks for reading anyway!

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:19:34 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;61294
There are many well known magical properties of plants, rocks, animals etc.. They have their foundations in various traditions and customs frequently. And there are magical properties that some people come to acknowledge and use from personal experience.

I am interested in how others go about finding these properties from personal experience and/or how they have been recognized. Also of interest is how these properties have been used.

Have you ever come across something you believe has an energy that can be used for magic in some way?  If you care or are able to share what it is and how you came to this knowledge, it might be beneficial to others and for certain would be interesting to me.

Thank you if you can add something and if you can't thanks for reading anyway!

 
I have yet to use them,but I keep being compelled to pick up and bring home peices of red etc. tail light plastic I find at car accident locations. my intentions every time are this strong voice(my own?) in my head saying: these would be really good for a protection spell,to cast to keep one safe from similar calamity. I've often thought if I would use it like a stone or crystal or what.
don't know If this is exactly what you were looking for,but it's all I've got. lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Annie Roonie

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 915
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:21:59 am »
Quote from: spoOk;61295
I have yet to use them,but I keep being compelled to pick up and bring home peices of red etc. tail light plastic I find at car accident locations. my intentions every time are this strong voice(my own?) in my head saying: these would be really good for a protection spell,to cast to keep one safe from similar calamity. I've often thought if I would use it like a stone or crystal or what.
don't know If this is exactly what you were looking for,but it's all I've got. lol


That's fascinating. The story of the piece being so strong a symbol.

There are very many spells that have one leaving things in the road, it does make sense that something could also be gleaned from there as well.

It is what I'm looking for. Thank you! Personal identification of magical properties. I suppose it can be a kind of UPG.

Catherine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 990
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:26:12 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;61294

Have you ever come across something you believe has an energy that can be used for magic in some way?  If you care or are able to share what it is and how you came to this knowledge, it might be beneficial to others and for certain would be interesting to me.

Thank you if you can add something and if you can't thanks for reading anyway!


Flash paper. My oldest son brought some home one day, I guess it was about 10 years ago. Anyway, he was twisting it up into the shape of little people (don't ask, he was in a mood that day) and lighting it on fire. I liked the way it burned up completely and didn't even leave any ash or smoke behind. I've been using it for quick spells and prayers ever since.

I write my intention on it, focus a bit of energy into it, and light it up. Poof, it's gone.

It's also great to use for burning small amounts of herbs if you don't want to light a whole charcoal. You can wrap the herbs in a sheet of it, or lay them on top of one.

You do have to be careful, though. I was helping a friend with a banishing once, and she set my alter cloth on fire :eek:.

earth_dragon

Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 12:11:23 am »
Quote from: Catherine;61335
Flash paper. My oldest son brought some home one day, I guess it was about 10 years ago. Anyway, he was twisting it up into the shape of little people (don't ask, he was in a mood that day) and lighting it on fire. I liked the way it burned up completely and didn't even leave any ash or smoke behind. I've been using it for quick spells and prayers ever since.

I write my intention on it, focus a bit of energy into it, and light it up. Poof, it's gone.

It's also great to use for burning small amounts of herbs if you don't want to light a whole charcoal. You can wrap the herbs in a sheet of it, or lay them on top of one.

You do have to be careful, though. I was helping a friend with a banishing once, and she set my alter cloth on fire :eek:.

 

I've never heard of Flash Paper before. Where can you get it? It sounds like something I'd like to try.

And EEK! Sorry about your alter cloth!

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 7816
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 142
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:55:50 am »
Quote from: Catherine;61335
Flash paper. My oldest son brought some home one day, I guess it was about 10 years ago.


I haven't had much occasion to use it in the past few years as a solitary (and my living circumstances are non-ideal for keeping it around), but I'm a huge fan of flash paper for group work - it's a great example of how ritual theatre can be effective in a practical way.  I can't remember who in my former coven first came up with the idea (probably me or ex-hubby, but not necessarily), but IIRC we used it in the very first ritual after I moved in with him which was Brigidfeast '03, so coincidentally pretty close to the same time frame as you.

Quote
It's also great to use for burning small amounts of herbs if you don't want to light a whole charcoal. You can wrap the herbs in a sheet of it, or lay them on top of one.


Ooh, nifty!  I hadn't thought of trying that; I'll have to keep it in mind.  I hope there's a not-too-inconvenient place to get it (Earth Dragon:  anywhere that stage-magic props are sold - if you don't have a specialty magicians' supply store anywhere near, try joke shops, the kind of places that sell whoopee cushions and fright wigs and such) in Buffalo, or alternately wherever JFP finds a law-library job, since I don't much relish the thought of moving cross-country and over an international border with something that flammable.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aster Breo

Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:29:58 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;61367
anywhere that stage-magic props are sold

A lot of theatrical supply companies carry it, too.  Shouldn't be hard to find via google.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible
[/B]

Catherine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 990
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:05:37 am »
Quote from: earth_dragon;61361
I've never heard of Flash Paper before. Where can you get it? It sounds like something I'd like to try.

And EEK! Sorry about your alter cloth!

 
I have a stage magician's supply place close to me, but you can also find it on Amazon. I use the small 2x3 sheets. They're much easier to store.

Catherine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 990
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 08:31:59 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;61367
I haven't had much occasion to use it in the past few years as a solitary (and my living circumstances are non-ideal for keeping it around),

 
I don't buy the large sheets because I don't have anywhere to store them (storage for all of my stuff is an issue here), but the small sheets fit nicely in an old metal cigarette case. Safe and dry.

MoonCrone

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2012
  • Posts: 93
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;61294
There are many well known magical properties of plants, rocks, animals etc.. They have their foundations in various traditions and customs frequently. And there are magical properties that some people come to acknowledge and use from personal experience.

I am interested in how others go about finding these properties from personal experience and/or how they have been recognized. Also of interest is how these properties have been used.

Have you ever come across something you believe has an energy that can be used for magic in some way?  If you care or are able to share what it is and how you came to this knowledge, it might be beneficial to others and for certain would be interesting to me.

Thank you if you can add something and if you can't thanks for reading anyway!


I love the beach and whenever I visit, I have compulsions to pick up rocks, shells, seaweed, drift wood, bits of old fishing net, gull feathers and just about any old flotsom and jetsome I happen to come across as I walk across the foreshore...  I sense it's kind-of imbued with the energy of the ocean...  but then I would, water is my favourite element.  :)
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

Annie Roonie

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 915
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;61335
Flash paper. My oldest son brought some home one day, I guess it was about 10 years ago. Anyway, he was twisting it up into the shape of little people (don't ask, he was in a mood that day) and lighting it on fire. I liked the way it burned up completely and didn't even leave any ash or smoke behind. I've been using it for quick spells and prayers ever since.

I write my intention on it, focus a bit of energy into it, and light it up. Poof, it's gone.

It's also great to use for burning small amounts of herbs if you don't want to light a whole charcoal. You can wrap the herbs in a sheet of it, or lay them on top of one.

You do have to be careful, though. I was helping a friend with a banishing once, and she set my alter cloth on fire :eek:.


WANT!

Thanks for the tip on this. I am going to keep my eye out for some when I make my novelty shop rounds this year. They always have magician supplies.

Annie Roonie

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 915
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »
Quote from: MoonCrone;61401
I love the beach and whenever I visit, I have compulsions to pick up rocks, shells, seaweed, drift wood, bits of old fishing net, gull feathers and just about any old flotsom and jetsome I happen to come across as I walk across the foreshore...  I sense it's kind-of imbued with the energy of the ocean...  but then I would, water is my favourite element.  :)


I am totally with you there. I only have a smallish shallowish freshwater lake, but it has become a part of me.

I found one nearly perfect equilateral triangle of sandrock and brought it home. It's perfect to ground.

Usually I do not take rocks. I do take lucky stones, but they aren't actually stones but otoliths. Fish bones from a fish named Sheepshead (freshwater drum).

[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

This is one item that has been said to be magical, but as yet I have not seen that be accurate. At least not in the way the legend has it. There is an L or a J inlaid on each one (they come from different sides of the fish behind the eyes and ears). And they are supposed to stand for love and joy. The legend is that you should give them away and love and joy will come back to you. I have been combing and collecting these things for 38 years and giving them away. I've sent them all over the flipping world. But darned if I am mateless more often than not. I have to find another kind of lucky stone I think.:D:

Marilyn/Absentminded

Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;61463
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

This is one item that has been said to be magical, but as yet I have not seen that be accurate. At least not in the way the legend has it. There is an L or a J inlaid on each one (they come from different sides of the fish behind the eyes and ears). And they are supposed to stand for love and joy. The legend is that you should give them away and love and joy will come back to you. I have been combing and collecting these things for 38 years and giving them away. I've sent them all over the flipping world. But darned if I am mateless more often than not. I have to find another kind of lucky stone I think.:D:

I've never heard that about fish stones.  The locals who fish around here, including my dad and many of my aunts and uncles, keep them in their tackle boxes for luck, but specifically for luck in fishing.  I had a pair when I used to spend a fair amount of time at the river.  My old tackle box is probably still around in somebody's barn or garage, and I would bet it still has the stones in it.  I haven't thought about those in ages. :)

Absent
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:33:36 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

   In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Annie Roonie

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 915
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 10:34:02 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;61474
I've never heard that about fish stones.  The locals who fish around here, including my dad and many of my aunts and uncles, keep them in their tackle boxes for luck, but specifically for luck in fishing.  I had a pair when I used to spend a fair amount of time at the river.  My old tackle box is probably still around in somebody's barn or garage, and I would bet it still has the stones in it.  I haven't thought about those in ages. :)

Absent

That matches one of the magical properties I was told about them growing up. I don't have any source to back it as I got it from older beach combers. They used to say that the Native Americans who used lived on the lake used them to tie in little bundles to the ends of their nets to weight them down, but this was more to assure a good catch.

Come to think of it, when I've been able to fish, I almost always come away with an eater.

I suppose I am still immature and hope that the love and joy one will still prove true too.

Hey, if you ever want any and don't have time to get to your lake, let me know and I'll send you some!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:34:53 pm by Annie Roonie »

Fier

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Michigan
  • Posts: 820
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Finding Magical Properties
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:04:28 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;61474
The locals who fish around here, including my dad and many of my aunts and uncles, keep them in their tackle boxes for luck, but specifically for luck in fishing.  

 
I've not seen nor heard of these before. They have them in Huron, Absent?

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
33 Replies
8498 Views
Last post September 29, 2012, 06:11:59 pm
by Sharysa
11 Replies
5948 Views
Last post December 11, 2012, 11:54:15 pm
by Fagan_the_Pagan
2 Replies
1472 Views
Last post May 26, 2013, 10:54:08 am
by yewberry
17 Replies
4772 Views
Last post November 23, 2014, 10:43:26 am
by WizardryWisdom
5 Replies
1297 Views
Last post March 22, 2017, 07:58:10 am
by Sarah

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru, Tana

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling, Bob, Catja, Fausta, Sperran, Steve

Cauldron Council:
Emma-Eldritch, Everfool, Jubes, Kelly, Koi, Melamphoros, Ocelot, Phouka, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall