"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Amulets  (Read 1926 times)

candlemagic

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://zaprudering.wordpress.com/
Amulets
« on: December 20, 2017, 07:28:07 pm »
When creating an amulet it says to use something that you are close to but that is natural. The only thing I've had for any length of time (because I often give stuff away) is my very first D20. It's plastic and I was wondering if that would work.

Thank you.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Amulets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 08:38:46 pm »
When creating an amulet it says to use something that you are close to but that is natural. The only thing I've had for any length of time (because I often give stuff away) is my very first D20. It's plastic and I was wondering if that would work.

That depends a lot on what you want to be using it for.

Natural materials generally hold/store energy very different from manmade materials (and there's also variation within natural materials: silk is often seen as an insulator, for example.) So if you're wanting to create a magical item that will store particular energy or intentions, starting with something that's plastic or otherwise entirely artificial may make it a lot harder to work with.

There are some possible alternatives - such as wrapping a plastic item in something natural (like creating a way to hang it using wire or yarn or thread), adding small stone beads, placing it in a pouch with herbs or other small natural objects, etc. But that's going to depend a lot on both what you want to do, and how you want to use it, since obviously some of those options work great for something you want to wear, and others work better for something that might sit on an altar or shrine.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »

Thank you.

Please excuse, as my knowledge of magical technique is something less than zero. But is it important that you be close to the original physical object, or would another object with the same "spirit", for lack of a better term, serve as well?

What I'm saying is that you feel a connection with your plastic d20. Would it honor that connection if you had another d20 made, possibly hand-carved from stone, specifically to serve as the basis or focus of an amulet? Just looking at it as an outsider, it seems as that would honor the intent all the way around.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

candlemagic

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:41:26 pm »
That depends a lot on what you want to be using it for.

Natural materials generally hold/store energy very different from manmade materials (and there's also variation within natural materials: silk is often seen as an insulator, for example.) So if you're wanting to create a magical item that will store particular energy or intentions, starting with something that's plastic or otherwise entirely artificial may make it a lot harder to work with.

There are some possible alternatives - such as wrapping a plastic item in something natural (like creating a way to hang it using wire or yarn or thread), adding small stone beads, placing it in a pouch with herbs or other small natural objects, etc. But that's going to depend a lot on both what you want to do, and how you want to use it, since obviously some of those options work great for something you want to wear, and others work better for something that might sit on an altar or shrine.
I'm looking to store calming energy in it to have on hand since my anxiety is reaching an all time high. I am still going to see my Doc but this might help out while I'm at work and just need an extra boost to get me through my shift.

candlemagic

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:43:31 pm »
Please excuse, as my knowledge of magical technique is something less than zero. But is it important that you be close to the original physical object, or would another object with the same "spirit", for lack of a better term, serve as well?

What I'm saying is that you feel a connection with your plastic d20. Would it honor that connection if you had another d20 made, possibly hand-carved from stone, specifically to serve as the basis or focus of an amulet? Just looking at it as an outsider, it seems as that would honor the intent all the way around.
It might but that price is a bit out of my range right now. I have been Google-Fuing for hand made ones and I might see if I can get one made from wood since that would be more cost effective. But thanks for the link, they are all so pretty!

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 11:41:39 pm »
It might but that price is a bit out of my range right now. I have been Google-Fuing for hand made ones and I might see if I can get one made from wood since that would be more cost effective. But thanks for the link, they are all so pretty!

Idk if you necessarily need to have something with a personal connection. I use a piece of jasper that I found on the street as a calming amulet and that's been working alright for me. I think it's more about intent and what you've charged it with, at least from what I've read.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 09:52:55 pm »

Thank you.

Hmm... In case that doesn't work... I tend to use jewelry, like rings, to help calm me down. Specifically, I had a ring that I would spin around my thumb whenever I was anxious or nervous... or had too much energy. Helped immensely - though now it's in the bowels of the subway system... Another thing I have used is any image of water falls or a river - my mind associates that with calming energy.

Point is: you can use whatever you want that aligns to your goal for the amulet. If you find that a piece of rock or wood or something helps calm you, make an amulet out of it.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 164
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal