collapse
2017 Donation Drive -- Please Help Keep TC Online

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise just over $850 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 13 November: Only $124 more (after Paypal fees) needed to reach our goal! Please donate if you can.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: A sign?  (Read 161 times)

EnderDragonFire

• Journeyman
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hindu-Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: him/he or her/she
A sign?
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:24:34 pm »
This morning, I had an encounter with an unusually friendly snake on my front porch.

My neighborhood, which is in the suburbs of a small Kentucky town, has a lot of stray cats. Sometimes I put out food or water for them, especially when the weather is cold, as it has been lately. This morning, three of them were on the porch, and when I stepped out, I saw that they had cornered an adult Eastern garter snake and were harassing it.

Normally, garters are skittish and avoid humans, even more so if they feel threatened. So, I was surprised when the snake allowed me to walk right over and pick it up off the porch. It did not seem injured, and in fact was quite active. I brought it into the house and checked it for injuries and let it warm up a bit, and then put it back outside under the bushes.

I think this is a sign. I have dealt with Kentucky snakes for decades, and have never A) Found one on my porch or B) Met one that was so tolerant of human contact. I suspect this might be a sign from Manasa, as she is the only snake related deity that I work with, and the symbolism seems obvious. However, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with snakes, and what other possible explanations (supernatural or mundane) you might have.

It could have been a pet snake, but that seems unlikely. People don't normally keep garters as pets, and KY is their native range, and they are very common in the area. It did not look any different from the hundreds of other garters I have seen over the years.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." - Sri Krishna

Ashmire

• Sr. Apprentice
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
Re: A sign?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:20:03 pm »
This morning, I had an encounter with an unusually friendly snake on my front porch.

My neighborhood, which is in the suburbs of a small Kentucky town, has a lot of stray cats. Sometimes I put out food or water for them, especially when the weather is cold, as it has been lately. This morning, three of them were on the porch, and when I stepped out, I saw that they had cornered an adult Eastern garter snake and were harassing it.

Normally, garters are skittish and avoid humans, even more so if they feel threatened. So, I was surprised when the snake allowed me to walk right over and pick it up off the porch. It did not seem injured, and in fact was quite active. I brought it into the house and checked it for injuries and let it warm up a bit, and then put it back outside under the bushes.

I think this is a sign. I have dealt with Kentucky snakes for decades, and have never A) Found one on my porch or B) Met one that was so tolerant of human contact. I suspect this might be a sign from Manasa, as she is the only snake related deity that I work with, and the symbolism seems obvious. However, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with snakes, and what other possible explanations (supernatural or mundane) you might have.

It could have been a pet snake, but that seems unlikely. People don't normally keep garters as pets, and KY is their native range, and they are very common in the area. It did not look any different from the hundreds of other garters I have seen over the years.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind, you mentioned that it has been cold.  That might be enough, especially if there was a certain amount of shock from being roughed around by cats, to make the snake feel just too sluggish to resist as much as usual.  They do normally hibernate in winter in most climates.

OTOH, if it feels significant, maybe it is.  Kudos on your kind behavior, in any case.

Bluerose31

• Sr. Apprentice
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: N/A
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »

It could have been a sign from Manasa. It sounds like it was a beautiful interaction between you and the snake. You cared for the snake in its time of need and it was receptive to you. I am glad the snake did not snap at you or try to hurt you. Perhaps you could pray to Manasa and see if she has anything to share with you.

EnderDragonFire

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »
It could have been a sign from Manasa. It sounds like it was a beautiful interaction between you and the snake. You cared for the snake in its time of need and it was receptive to you. I am glad the snake did not snap at you or try to hurt you. Perhaps you could pray to Manasa and see if she has anything to share with you.

Yeah. That was the odd bit, it was quite active, not very lethargic, but it was not aggressive toward me.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." - Sri Krishna

Bluerose31

• Sr. Apprentice
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: N/A
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:20:45 pm »
Yeah. That was the odd bit, it was quite active, not very lethargic, but it was not aggressive toward me.

I think it is awesome that the snake was tame toward you.

ehbowen

• Sr. Master Member
    Attack Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 06:01:22 pm »
I think it is awesome that the snake was tame toward you.

I've had a couple of similar experiences albeit with dogs, not snakes. Dogs are generally a lot friendlier than snakes, so I may be reading too much into this. But what makes these encounters stick out in my mind is:
  • These animals were not neglected or ungroomed, nor did they seem abandoned at all. Yet they were not wearing collars or tags of any kind.
  • They came up to me and were very tame and friendly, yet did not try to hang around or come back when their "time was up"...even though in one case I fed them.

I've taken in strays before and even have one living in my home now. But Rusty hung around for weeks, begging food, before I finally decided my two choices were to either call animal control or else buy him a collar and a bowl. (He remained in the family for the next fifteen years.) Rascal came to my church during a garage sale, friendly enough but hair matted and overgrown. (She's nicely bathed and groomed now.) These other canine encounters were...different.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Jainarayan

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hinduism
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:10 am »
Perhaps you could pray to Manasa and see if she has anything to share with you.

This might also earn the blessings of Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. Both of them have snakes as companions: Lord Shiva wears Vasuki around his neck, Lord Vishnu rests on the coils of Ananta-Shesha. :)

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ
Vishnu's appearance is Shiva; Shiva's appearance is Vishnu
Vishnu is the heart of Shiva; Shiva is the heart of Vishnu - Skandopanishad

EnderDragonFire

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:58 pm »
This might also earn the blessings of Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. Both of them have snakes as companions: Lord Shiva wears Vasuki around his neck, Lord Vishnu rests on the coils of Ananta-Shesha. :)

Hmm. Yes, I didn't even think about Shesha or Vasuki. I will pray on this possibility.

Tags: