Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: The Power of Language  (Read 4928 times)

Violet Skies

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Power of Language
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:47 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;104396
Watashi mo! Demo subete wasureteiru. Seriously, I can remember grammatical rules but my vocab has gone straight to hell. Lack of practice. Ten years ago I was pretty good, although still technically illiterate due to my lack of kanji knowledge. XD

Futari wa nihongo de shaberareru?  Hontouni? Sugoina. :)

二人は日本語でしゃべられる?本当に?すごいな。:)

Sorry, it just looks wrong in romaji so I had to do both to appease the voices of my language teachers in my head. >.< lol

Slantse

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 12:26:33 am »
Quote from: Violet Skies;103608
So, I`m a language nerd (linguistics major for a reason :p ) and I`m wondering, in ritual/spellwork/anything magical, how much power do you all think is in the actual words you speak?  I know that in most books intention is the big thing, as is raising energy.  People tend to not really emphasize language much, but I personally feel like language is extremely powerful.  It is incredibly influential in how we think about the world.  Also, the way that languages form, change, and morph, is rather "magical" in and of itself.

Anyway, what is your personal belief on the power of the words you speak?

A few of the popular religious traditions deem that the language is holy. For example Old Bulgarian (Old Church Slavonic) is used the liturgy of the Orthodox Church.
Personally I feel that any language is okay since the connection to the Divine is personal. So anything is okay, even a made up language or a code for example. Intentions are important.

Thebes

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 10:57:36 am »
Quote from: Violet Skies;103608

Anyway, what is your personal belief on the power of the words you speak?

I think there is as much power in the words we speak as in the deities we invoke. Just as I might use a word slightly differently from another, I might consider a God/dess to have slightly different properties. Some of that is in my head- individual belief is important, but a lot is in the use of the word or deity by others- formering patterns in time/space which resonate with other similar use.

luc798

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:44 am »
Quote from: Thebes;120601
I think there is as much power in the words we speak as in the deities we invoke. Just as I might use a word slightly differently from another, I might consider a God/dess to have slightly different properties. Some of that is in my head- individual belief is important, but a lot is in the use of the word or deity by others- formering patterns in time/space which resonate with other similar use.

Yes, I also believe in the power of the -sound- of the words per se. I am extremely turned off by praying in English. (and it is not my first language) Spanish is my mother language but still.. there is something I don't feel right. I think I'd rather say magickal words in German or Russian, as well as I do feel like all the Cabalistic words hold true power within (well, Jewish have always been fascinated by the power of their Hebrew alphabet, I even remember one story about how God was picking the letters when writing the Torah, and all the obsession with the true name of God and how it would be a really powerful word)

Tags: