collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?  (Read 2676 times)

Eastling

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Feb 2016
  • Location: Seattle
  • *
  • Posts: 507
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 344
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:41:47 pm »
It's not exactly a secret that certain magical, spiritual, and divine entities love to shapeshift. In my time working with shapeshifting Powers, I've found this to be a source of vitality, fascination, and also endless exasperation. I want to produce creative, devotional Work to and about Them, and They won't stay in one shape for long enough. It's like trying to paint a portrait of a dancer as they perform.

That's the background, but the reason I'm posting it here is this: I could use ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for developing a productive magic(o-ritual) practice around entities prone to shapeshifting. It seems to me like it's probably a common enough problem that useful techniques might exist--and even if it isn't, it's a subject worth broaching.

So, what kind of magic would you weave when working with shapeshifters and yearning to get solid results out of it, particularly creative ones?
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

HarpingHawke

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • *
  • Posts: 1531
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 15
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
Re: Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:00:04 am »
Quote from: Eastling;200037
That's the background, but the reason I'm posting it here is this: I could use ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for developing a productive magic(o-ritual) practice around entities prone to shapeshifting. It seems to me like it's probably a common enough problem that useful techniques might exist--and even if it isn't, it's a subject worth broaching.

So, what kind of magic would you weave when working with shapeshifters and yearning to get solid results out of it, particularly creative ones?

 
I've been mulling this over since you posted it a couple days ago, and personally, my only answer is to just. Shift with them? Take up the dance with them? Become a part of the painting you're trying to capture--work your life into a kaleidoscopic piece of art.

Oh! Idea flood!
Kaleidoscope-making. Devotional dance. Art you can move, so it creates different shapes and pictures and whatnot. Dolls. Masks. Ritual with several different parts that can be changed in and out or added as needed. Songs--this would be difficult to do, but arranging a choral piece of a song you think captures their nature. Depending on how many parts are playing, the song will sound different.

Uh, that's all I got. Hope it pings something?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

NiDara

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 260
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 8
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:53:40 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;200104
I've been mulling this over since you posted it a couple days ago, and personally, my only answer is to just. Shift with them? Take up the dance with them? Become a part of the painting you're trying to capture--work your life into a kaleidoscopic piece of art.

Oh! Idea flood!
Kaleidoscope-making. Devotional dance. Art you can move, so it creates different shapes and pictures and whatnot. Dolls. Masks. Ritual with several different parts that can be changed in and out or added as needed. Songs--this would be difficult to do, but arranging a choral piece of a song you think captures their nature. Depending on how many parts are playing, the song will sound different.

Uh, that's all I got. Hope it pings something?


Another idea continuing from the subject of art is cosplay or costume making. Designing an original costume could be a ritual in and of itself, especially if you add in magical details. Embroidered sigils, color magic, knot magic, and probably either techniques I'm not thinking of. You could even make pieces of a costume that change out quickly with the use of velcro or snaps.

Eastling

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Feb 2016
  • Location: Seattle
  • *
  • Posts: 507
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 344
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: Shapeshifters: how do you work with them?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:47:18 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;200104
I've been mulling this over since you posted it a couple days ago, and personally, my only answer is to just. Shift with them? Take up the dance with them? Become a part of the painting you're trying to capture--work your life into a kaleidoscopic piece of art.


This seems like the best all-around option. Worry less about trying to capture the whole in one piece and just move with them, making what I can in the process.

I just have to overcome my perfectionism and associated inhibitions and get to work.
 
Quote from: Nic an Dair;200136
Another idea continuing from the subject of art is cosplay or costume making. Designing an original costume could be a ritual in and of itself, especially if you add in magical details. Embroidered sigils, color magic, knot magic, and probably either techniques I'm not thinking of. You could even make pieces of a costume that change out quickly with the use of velcro or snaps.

 
I've never been much into costuming (my cosplay attempts have generally involved commissioning other people), but this is an intriguing idea. Since a lot of my practice is Dionysian, it's suitable too (given the association with roles and masks).

At the moment what I'm working on is a set of introductory rituals and myths in the form of "interactive poetry" created with the Twine platform. The ability to use interactivity to display multiple paths to and through the Divine is useful here.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
25 Replies
5529 Views
Last post September 07, 2011, 08:22:07 pm
by monsnoleedra
3 Replies
1422 Views
Last post January 25, 2014, 09:39:28 pm
by AineLlewellyn
37 Replies
6630 Views
Last post March 04, 2015, 03:25:38 am
by EJay
5 Replies
1231 Views
Last post June 24, 2016, 06:29:22 pm
by LilacRaveclaw
0 Replies
783 Views
Last post June 09, 2016, 10:20:03 am
by Soletaken

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall