Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Anyone Else Doing Quareia?  (Read 27316 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Anyone Else Doing Quareia?
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:00:58 am »
Is anyone else doing (/thinking of/trying out) Quareia? I started last week and could use some community. I know they have their own forums but I'm not on them yet, plus friends from the outside would be good.

(I did notice that there's already a thread on the front page of this subforum about Quareia, but it is 4 years old and the OP hasn't been active in as many years)

[Fixed url bbcode -- RSS]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:27:12 am by RandallS »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Anyone Else Doing Quareia?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:22:18 pm »
(I did notice that there's already a thread on the front page of this subforum about Quareia, but it is 4 years old and the OP hasn't been active in as many years)

Tangential: Starting a new thread, in those circumstances, is entirely sensical, yeah. Reviving the old one could probably have also worked; we don't have a hard-and-fast preference - but, I very much appreciate you noticing those factors!

Sunflower, speaking staffishly
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:14:34 am »
Is anyone else doing (/thinking of/trying out) Quareia? I started last week and could use some community. I know they have their own forums but I'm not on them yet, plus friends from the outside would be good.

[Fixed url bbcode -- RSS]

I might bookmark it to look into in the future, but at the moment I'm doing a vocational course at work, an 8 week Critical and Logical Thinking online course and the Bardic NoD course so definitely can't take on anymore learning right now.

Have you joined their forums now?  If so, how do they seem?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Left Hand Path with a dash of Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 05:05:26 pm »
Is anyone else doing (/thinking of/trying out) Quareia?

Hi Scales! I joined both Quareia and the Cauldron rather recently. Your post actually inspired me to take a look at them. Thanks for that!

They have a pretty interesting setup. I'm finally moving on from the meditation module and continuing on. Just got back into school and kinda in a similar state to PerditaPickle. I'm also working on other courses and projects besides this. My magical studies have been severely neglected as of late. Which is something I wish to change. So far, I like the meditations and am glad to have them added to my day.

This is kind of an aside, but I also found a reddit for Quareia. Doesn't seem very active, though.
“It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." ~Salvador Dali

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:30 am »
I might bookmark it to look into in the future, but at the moment I'm doing a vocational course at work, an 8 week Critical and Logical Thinking online course and the Bardic NoD course so definitely can't take on anymore learning right now.

Have you joined their forums now?  If so, how do they seem?

Not on the forums yet, it says you should be done the third lesson, and I'm only almost done the third lesson (you're supposed to do at least 10 sessions of a visualization exercise and I've done either 8 or 9). Also I'm moving (just to the upstairs suite from mine, but there's a lot to do) kind of unexpectedly so I haven't gone out of my way to do it.

Hi Scales! I joined both Quareia and the Cauldron rather recently. Your post actually inspired me to take a look at them. Thanks for that!

They have a pretty interesting setup. I'm finally moving on from the meditation module and continuing on. Just got back into school and kinda in a similar state to PerditaPickle. I'm also working on other courses and projects besides this. My magical studies have been severely neglected as of late. Which is something I wish to change. So far, I like the meditations and am glad to have them added to my day.

This is kind of an aside, but I also found a reddit for Quareia. Doesn't seem very active, though.

I'm about done with the 4th lesson (it's one you practice every week, so I can move on while working on it) but not super looking forward to the 5th because it looks like it'll mean having to go to a lot of places, and I have pretty bad social anxiety and agoraphobia. I also am redoing the tarot exercises from lesson 2 (readings for every room in the house, then changing things based on them), because I didn't get to rearrange all the rooms before moving, and I'd like to do it for this space as well anyway, so we'll probably be working on that at about the same time.

I've been neglecting some of my magic stuff too, that's part of why I started Quareia, because having some structure will help keep me organized, with exercises and goals and whatnot, and also help further some study that I might not do if it was just up to me to learn it.

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 07:23:09 pm »
I'm about done with the 4th lesson (it's one you practice every week, so I can move on while working on it) but not super looking forward to the 5th because it looks like it'll mean having to go to a lot of places, and I have pretty bad social anxiety and agoraphobia. I also am redoing the tarot exercises from lesson 2 (readings for every room in the house, then changing things based on them), because I didn't get to rearrange all the rooms before moving, and I'd like to do it for this space as well anyway, so we'll probably be working on that at about the same time.

I've been neglecting some of my magic stuff too, that's part of why I started Quareia, because having some structure will help keep me organized, with exercises and goals and whatnot, and also help further some study that I might not do if it was just up to me to learn it.

I see! I'm really glad you brought this up. I deal with social anxiety and agoraphobia, as well. I'm currently homebound, but hoping that this year I'll finally break things open. I took a peek at lesson 5 and I'm not sure if that's gonna be doable just yet. Maybe by the time I reach that point I'll be able to. But hey, I'm only on Lesson 1-2 right now.

I really don't want to drop Quareia since I like the structure so far. However, I'm not sure there's much room for variation to accommodate my current situation. And I totally get that each thing has a purpose and you keep building onto those. For instance, the blessing of magical tools in nature.

BTW Hope things go smoothly with your move and travels.
“It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." ~Salvador Dali

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 11:58:05 pm »
I see! I'm really glad you brought this up. I deal with social anxiety and agoraphobia, as well. I'm currently homebound, but hoping that this year I'll finally break things open. I took a peek at lesson 5 and I'm not sure if that's gonna be doable just yet. Maybe by the time I reach that point I'll be able to. But hey, I'm only on Lesson 1-2 right now.

I really don't want to drop Quareia since I like the structure so far. However, I'm not sure there's much room for variation to accommodate my current situation. And I totally get that each thing has a purpose and you keep building onto those. For instance, the blessing of magical tools in nature.

BTW Hope things go smoothly with your move and travels.

Thanks, and sorry for not replying sooner, it has been an overwhelming couple weeks. So close to being moved in though, and even if it's not fully done, it's much easier to take time putting stuff away than running stuff up and down the stairs.

I think I'm going to be able to get through lesson five, but not as fast as expected. I am at the point where I can sometimes get myself outside alone, and am fairly okay if someone is with me (especially if we're driving, so if it goes badly they can just bring me home), but it calls to go to like six locations and spend some time at them if I recall correctly, and that's a lot!

I feel like there's enough room for variation in time but maybe not so much in actually changing things that aren't currently accessible (and for it supposedly being designed so anyone can participate, there is a lot of privileged language and things that are only borderline accessible for me, and I know that means they're fully inaccessible for others. (This makes me mad at Quareia, but I still like the structure and know I'm going to be mad at any similar program; even if I wrote it myself I'd be less satisfied with it every day after completing it)

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 03:48:44 am »
Thanks, and sorry for not replying sooner, it has been an overwhelming couple weeks. So close to being moved in though, and even if it's not fully done, it's much easier to take time putting stuff away than running stuff up and down the stairs.

I think I'm going to be able to get through lesson five, but not as fast as expected. I am at the point where I can sometimes get myself outside alone, and am fairly okay if someone is with me (especially if we're driving, so if it goes badly they can just bring me home), but it calls to go to like six locations and spend some time at them if I recall correctly, and that's a lot!

I feel like there's enough room for variation in time but maybe not so much in actually changing things that aren't currently accessible (and for it supposedly being designed so anyone can participate, there is a lot of privileged language and things that are only borderline accessible for me, and I know that means they're fully inaccessible for others. (This makes me mad at Quareia, but I still like the structure and know I'm going to be mad at any similar program; even if I wrote it myself I'd be less satisfied with it every day after completing it)

It's fine, Scales! I know that you're busy and it's not the end of the world if you take your time to get back to this. Though, I also feel like apologizing for neglecting this to reply til today. Had a bit of a reflective "hide up in the mountains" kind of time. Been reading posts here and looking at different aspects of my practices. Also, really pushing the bounds of the agoraphobia lately. Typically, I need a few days to recover afterward due to kickback. Anyway! I'm glad that you're almost done moving! Hope it wasn't too stressful for you. Also hope the negative funk of the place has dissipated.

Lesson five seems kinda time/resource-consuming even for the average person. The Quareia text itself has this very definitive tone. I really wish they would have an area or alternative versions of lessons for people with disabilities. Even if it was simply an asterisk within the normal lesson text that had an example of variations people could do.

I feel like the tone is kinda irritating, as well. Privelaged, for sure! I'm still in the closet about my practice, so buying swords and things is even tricky. Even moreso when you have to bring your little treasure trove out to sixish locations out in the open. X__X;  Think this year I'm going to come out about my path, as well. Might as well not be hampered by it.

Still struggling with meditation. My focus has been less than optimal lately.

Tomorrow I'm going to start lesson 1-2. Doing the tarot readings in home exercise.

Wishing you the best as you progress through lesson 5 and your studies in general!

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 11:11:54 pm »
It's fine, Scales! I know that you're busy and it's not the end of the world if you take your time to get back to this. Though, I also feel like apologizing for neglecting this to reply til today. Had a bit of a reflective "hide up in the mountains" kind of time. Been reading posts here and looking at different aspects of my practices. Also, really pushing the bounds of the agoraphobia lately. Typically, I need a few days to recover afterward due to kickback. Anyway! I'm glad that you're almost done moving! Hope it wasn't too stressful for you. Also hope the negative funk of the place has dissipated.

Lesson five seems kinda time/resource-consuming even for the average person. The Quareia text itself has this very definitive tone. I really wish they would have an area or alternative versions of lessons for people with disabilities. Even if it was simply an asterisk within the normal lesson text that had an example of variations people could do.

I feel like the tone is kinda irritating, as well. Privelaged, for sure! I'm still in the closet about my practice, so buying swords and things is even tricky. Even moreso when you have to bring your little treasure trove out to sixish locations out in the open. X__X;  Think this year I'm going to come out about my path, as well. Might as well not be hampered by it.

Still struggling with meditation. My focus has been less than optimal lately.

Tomorrow I'm going to start lesson 1-2. Doing the tarot readings in home exercise.

Wishing you the best as you progress through lesson 5 and your studies in general!

Sorry about never replying, I've been spiraling a bit lately in both my physical and mental health. Nothing big but all distracting and distressing.

Still haven't done section five lol, but then, it's a long day, and the constant hand washing is daunting to me (though less so now that it's summer and constantly hot and awful). I want to do it when my partner is free to drive me so I can just do it when we park, sitting with my hands out the door, rather than right in front of each place.

I know at best I'd probably be finishing the core skills unit by now, but something in my brain is like 'go really fast so you can do the tools (or whatever unit 5 is called) next time you're at your [my] parents' house' since I skimmed that section a while ago and it involves going to a river.

Also fell out of daily meditation after managing it for at least a month, the last two weeks I've just been so wrong headed that it's rare I can sit still without anything to do.

That said, I did start working on doing my new house tarot readings (actual readings hopefully tonight, but what I already did was some preparation, sketching the layout of the house, etc. It's way too hot to do the ones upstairs before 9 or 10).

So all in all I've been off but getting back on the horse since I last posted.

I agree so much about the tone, by the way. It's rather condescending even when the tasks are actually reasonably achievable. Plus there was a passage somewhere about how there are single deity altars, I think workspace altars was the second one, and any other altars are hippie feel good new age garbage. That was aggressive and strange.

I'm still planning to eventually complete Quareia though, even if its obnoxious and ableist, or at least the apprenticeship (initiate and adept will depend on people, since they're less solitary). I like the excercises and I like having assignments, it's just the tone and lack of alternative or adjusted sections [the ableism] that bother me, and I can suffer it as long as I don't have to send them any monetary support or anything.

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 09:14:35 am »
I'm about done with the 4th lesson (it's one you practice every week, so I can move on while working on it) but not super looking forward to the 5th because it looks like it'll mean having to go to a lot of places, and I have pretty bad social anxiety and agoraphobia.

I just had a thought about your lesson 5. What if you went to these places early, like get there at dawn before most people go out. It can be a magic time when the days are long. Most threatening people are in bed or passed out and most everyone else hasn't gone out yet. Just thought it might be easier.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:52 am »
I just had a thought about your lesson 5. What if you went to these places early, like get there at dawn before most people go out. It can be a magic time when the days are long. Most threatening people are in bed or passed out and most everyone else hasn't gone out yet. Just thought it might be easier.

That's how I handle Wal-Mart when I need to.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 09:38:00 pm »

I've not really considered it since my husband works nights and I'm generally on his schedule and sleep worse (have insomnia that has improved with treatment but is still always present), so I usually sleep late.

The crowds are worse than other times, but it's still pretty bad when it's quiet, BUT, it's also getting disgustingly hot during the day, so this might still be the best bet, to beat the heat as well as avoid the busiest times.

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 07:28:05 pm »
Sorry about never replying, I've been spiraling a bit lately in both my physical and mental health. Nothing big but all distracting and distressing.

Still haven't done section five lol, but then, it's a long day, and the constant hand washing is daunting to me (though less so now that it's summer and constantly hot and awful). I want to do it when my partner is free to drive me so I can just do it when we park, sitting with my hands out the door, rather than right in front of each place.

I know at best I'd probably be finishing the core skills unit by now, but something in my brain is like 'go really fast so you can do the tools (or whatever unit 5 is called) next time you're at your [my] parents' house' since I skimmed that section a while ago and it involves going to a river.

Also fell out of daily meditation after managing it for at least a month, the last two weeks I've just been so wrong headed that it's rare I can sit still without anything to do.

That said, I did start working on doing my new house tarot readings (actual readings hopefully tonight, but what I already did was some preparation, sketching the layout of the house, etc. It's way too hot to do the ones upstairs before 9 or 10).

So all in all I've been off but getting back on the horse since I last posted.

I agree so much about the tone, by the way. It's rather condescending even when the tasks are actually reasonably achievable. Plus there was a passage somewhere about how there are single deity altars, I think workspace altars was the second one, and any other altars are hippie feel good new age garbage. That was aggressive and strange.

I'm still planning to eventually complete Quareia though, even if its obnoxious and ableist, or at least the apprenticeship (initiate and adept will depend on people, since they're less solitary). I like the excercises and I like having assignments, it's just the tone and lack of alternative or adjusted sections [the ableism] that bother me, and I can suffer it as long as I don't have to send them any monetary support or anything.

It's okay, Scales. Not sure what it is about this time or rather the time around when you posted this but it was super chaotic here as well. I'm sorry things have taken such a turn. Really is hard to focus or really do anything when your health is like that. Hope things have improved since then.

...I've totally fell off the Quareia wagon. X___X; Got an opportunity dropped in my lap that was actually pretty engaging. But it took a great deal of my time. Honestly, I haven't even done the readings around the house!

I hear you about not wanting to bother your partner when they're busy.  Never considered your idea about having your hands outside the door. An interesting approach. As folks above have mentioned- going to places early in the morning was my go to when I was still somewhat able to leave/drive. Still prefer this time to avoid the hustle and bustle.

It's great if your parents' house is situated close to a river, makes that whole river tool blessing thing a bit easier to tackle. As we've mentioned before...I really wonder how the heck they expect people with accessibility issues or simply not in such an environment to handle this. ...and the more I read it feels like the author(Josephine, I believe) is swinging between lofty Mistress of the Dark to "lol whatev bro, new age suxx0rs". Like this arrogant bratty teenager or something. Even the grammar shifts, so I'm tiltin' my head at what she's trying to go for. At times they are completely inappropriate- like the example you gave.

I guess it's best just to take it with a grain of salt and see what you can learn from it. As of now, I'm not sure what to do with it. Love that structure- but I'm also needing to deal with secular matters in a timely manner. Haven't had much time for spiritual things, unfortunately. Meditation is the number 1 thing I want to get back into- but it's really hard to hold focus right now. Sure you can relate.

Hope things are going well for you.

letty

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 12:46:17 pm »
...I've totally fell off the Quareia wagon. X___X;

So, I know this thread is old, but I, too, started with Quareia and fell off the wagon and am considering starting up again and really making myself follow through this time. Is anyone else in the same boat, and if so, can we maybe check in with each other here? I am needing some kind of accountability!

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 01:41:40 pm »
Is anyone else doing (/thinking of/trying out) Quareia?

I ran across it a while back and thought it would be useful in rounding out some of the skills I've neglected over the years

But at the time, I was working 50-65 hours a week, plus taking care of my girl friend in her failing health (which could be a full time job in itself), plus a year-long path-working I was doing; so I just plain didn't have time to add anything else in.

I was doing good if I got more than four hours sleep at a time as it was, so I set it aside for a while, then lost all my book marks when I re-installed Windows so I didn't know where to find it when I did have the time to take abetter look at it.

Since then, my girlfriend has died; and while I'm still on-call seven nights a week, I have a lot more time to think about it, so I think I will

Tags: