[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Poll

Hello guys! I am torn between these three options of tarot decks. Please pick the one you think I should get!

Sakki Sakki Tarot
0 (0%)
Madam Clara Sees All Tarot
1 (100%)
The Midcenturian Tarot
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: January 20, 2018, 12:20:27 am

Author Topic: Which Tarot Deck I should get?  (Read 2017 times)

Melissa

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: -
  • Preferred Pronouns: -
Which Tarot Deck I should get?
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:20:27 am »
Hello I will kindly appreciate any help!

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Which Tarot Deck I should get?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:12:42 am »
If you have a mobile device the app called 'The Fools Dog" will let you preview several different decks. If there is a metaphysical store near you you can also go in and see which deck just sorta... Jumps out at you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 04:49:20 am »

Personally I have a Celtic Dragon deck which I'm quite partial to and a Mystic Dreamer deck I like.  Really I've always said it wasn't really about how the cards look, but rather how they feel.  For tools of divination I always recommend being able to physically interact with the decks.  I've always found that I get better results that way.  That being said I have ordered a few things online where I couldn't find them locally, so it rather depends on personal preference.
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:33:43 pm »

Those are pretty interesting and different decks.  I am assuming, since you selected those three, that you like the art on all of them (my first step for 'should I get a deck' is 'do I like the art').

From what I can see, the Sees All deck feels a lot more traditional (though it also reminds me of Monty Python...), the Midcenturian feels very art-deco and kind of post-modern, while the Sakki-Sakki has a sort of whimsical childlike feel.  I guess the question I would be asking myself is:  what kind of guidance do I want from my deck?  I feel like each of these three decks would have very different personalities, and give a different perspective.

You can also ask yourself:  how disappointed would I be if I did NOT get this deck.  And see which one you get the strongest reaction about.  Sometimes looking from the opposite perspective gives a lot of insight.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Horizons

• View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic/Hellenic-leaning Polytheist
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 05:47:49 pm »
You can also ask yourself:  how disappointed would I be if I did NOT get this deck.  And see which one you get the strongest reaction about.  Sometimes looking from the opposite perspective gives a lot of insight.
I've found this is often the best question to ask when making any kind of choice between buying things.

I went through something like seven or eight decks of both tarot and oracle cards before happening on a deck that I have a downright magical connection with, though, and I doubt you could predict whether a deck would work for you like that until you actually do some readings with it. I mean, I chose the deck I connected with off Amazon because the art was pretty, I like the deck name, and it was on sale. So sometimes petty reasons work out as well as anything.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 03:04:22 am »

Get them all and shuffle them together to read!

(I'm only half-joking; I've had pretty good results with this in the past as long as all the decks are the same size.)

You've gotten plenty of good advice already so I'll just suggest that if you're new, you should get the one that looks the most obvious to you based on the illustrations, and if you're not, get the one that seems most likely to fill a gap in your collection.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 01:11:16 pm »
I work with multiple decks and I've found this really helps my understanding of tarot.

I do recommend getting an inexpensive Rider Waite, or at least downloading a free app. Even if the RW isn't your go-to deck, it will really help your understanding of a lot of other decks since it's the basis for so many of them.

Other than that, you should get decks that resonate with you. I find I generally react pretty strongly to tarot imagery; I'm either drawn to it or I actively dislike it. And there's no right or wrong answer to what resonates with you. My first deck was a more difficult tarot deck, but it speaks to me like no other deck I own, and I own eight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TisiphoneSeraph

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Recon-Informed Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 05:20:23 pm »

I've been reading cards for a decade and teaching some Tarot lessons lately so I have quite a few thoughts on this.

If you see tarot and divination as long term practices you want to invest in, it really does pay to learn the Rider-Waite first. So many decks base themselves on it that it makes learning any subsequent decks you pick up much much easier.

If you're unsure what role divination will have in your practice or you're more interested in it for a self reflective practice, then I suggest picking a deck where you connect with the art style but also has lots of rich imagery, lots of symbols. Decks that are sparse force you to employ what I call "the flash card method" of learning a deck where you just have to memorize the meanings and hope the card you lay out will call them to mind. They're very good for certain types of readings but incredibly difficult for beginners so I steer people away from them.

The deck I've had the most luck teaching beginners on who fall into the second category is the Shadowscapes Deck but really any deck that's similarly rich with symbols would be beneficial.
divination thoughts over at hillbilly oracle

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 12:35:05 pm »

All of them.

But in all seriousness, you'll probably end up with more than one. I've got five, including the RW, and I definitely feel like I could have a few more. There's still some holes in my line up, so to speak.

I think it's important to figure out what sorts of experiences you are looking to have with the tarot deck.  Once you've figured out what you want out of a deck it'll be a little (haha) easier to select one. If you haven't been already, swing by Aeclectic Tarot and "waste" 5000 hours of your life reading tarot reviews. I also like amazon for looking at different tarot decks. If you can get your hands on them before buying them I imagine that would be fantastic.  I don't have any great places that sell a lot of tarot decks near me so I just spend a lot of time looking online.

Like others have mentioned, having a copy of the traditional Rider-Waite is helpful as so many other decks are based off of it. TBH, I don't particularly care for the artwork of it (I don't hate it but...) so I use it strictly for study purposes. For me, personally, I absolutely cannot read with a deck that I don't connect with on an artistic level. I mean, intellectually I'll be aware of the symbolism and what things are supposed to mean but I 100% cannot pull it together into anything that makes sense unless I've got the connection. So definitely pick the deck that speaks to YOU. 

Tags: