Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: What tarot (or other oracle) decks do you have?  (Read 16955 times)

Erratic Charmer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
What tarot (or other oracle) decks do you have?
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:52 pm »
There are so many hundreds of gorgeous decks out there. I'm curious about which ones you use - just one, or a collection?

I have the Mystic Faerie tarot by Barbara Moore and the Carr-Gomms' Druidcraft tarot. I'm mostly using the latter these days.

Off at home in the States I have a Thoth deck and a Goddess tarot.

I had a Hieronymos Bosch deck once but I never felt comfortable with it so I eventually swapped it away.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: What tarot (or other oracle) decks do you have?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:21:47 pm »
Quote from: Erratic Charmer;57771
There are so many hundreds of gorgeous decks out there. I'm curious about which ones you use - just one, or a collection?

I have a good number of Tarot decks, but the only ones I regularly use are the Rider-Waite deck and the Arthurian Tarot
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Cailte

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:26:55 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;57785
I have a good number of Tarot decks, but the only ones I regularly use are the Rider-Waite deck and the Arthurian Tarot

I have four that I switch between
Robin Wood
Legends - The Arthurian Tarot
Herbalist
Witches - by Ellen Cannon Reed

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://conjurewitchery.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »
I'm curious about which ones you use - just one, or a collection?

Right now, none. In the following weeks I will be the proud owner of a new Thoth Tarot Deck.
Deus Vobiscum!

Sancta Maria, Sancte Joseph, Sancte Michaël, et Sancte Juda Thaddæe, ora pro nobis!

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »

I have the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, I have not seen it for a few years, and the other day the cards said come find them (I am thinking about learning how they connect with the Kabbalah).
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:19:04 pm »

I have the Mystic Faerie tarot by Barbara Moore and the Carr-Gomms' Druidcraft tarot. I'm mostly using the latter these days.

I had a Hieronymos Bosch deck once but I never felt comfortable with it so I eventually swapped it away.

I'm pretty new to tarot so I only have one deck, but I love it. It's the mystic dreamer tarot. It is so beautiful!

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

I only have two - Clive Barrett's Egyptian Tarot deck, and the Goddesses and Sirens Oracle deck. They're the only two I have and use them interchangeably or together, depending on the question being asked.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:12:56 pm »
Quote from: cymrudraco;57816
I only have two - Clive Barrett's Egyptian Tarot deck, and the Goddesses and Sirens Oracle deck. They're the only two I have and use them interchangeably or together, depending on the question being asked.

Halloween tarot: first,only,always:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/halloween/
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:10:51 am »

Currently own:
Tarot of the Druids--have it in the mini version, too small for practicality
Celtic Tarot (Lo Scarabeo)--another mini, great art but I'm struggling
Art Nouveau (Lo Scarabeo)--strongly resembles Alphonse Mucha's style of art
Art Nouveau (Matt Myers)--looks kind of like Tiffany stained glass, awesome for relationship readings
Gilded--still getting to know it
Hanson-Roberts--very accessible deck to read for others, doesn't require too much explaining
Tattooed--my favorite for personal readings
Llewellyn--another that's still new to me, but the connections to Welsh myth are fascinating

(Holy crap, I really have that many?)

Have owned in the past:
Marseilles--hate reading with non-pictorial pip cards!
Aquatic--nice, but didn't speak to me
Universal Waite--too generic
Sharman-Caselli--see Universal Waite, ended up giving to my sister
Shadowscapes--loved, until it claimed my cousin and wanted to go home with her
Universal Fantasy--loved the art, but couldn't connect
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:58 am »

The main one I use for doing readings is the Robin Wood.

I do a bit (not nearly as much as I feel like I should be doing for best effect) of personal work with the Froud/Macbeth Faeries' Oracle.  So far, this is the only non-tarot cartomancy deck I have.

I also have:

- A Rider-Waite-Smith, primarily for iconography study and for - back when I was still teaching Craft - training use.

- An Aquarian, because what kind of Old School, Back in the Day, etc, pagan/tarotist am I if I don't have the deck that was pretty much the alternate to the R-W-S in the '70s:)?  More seriously, it's another one for iconography studies.

- A Thoth deck.  Also iconography-heavy, but a very different iconography.

- Ellen Cannon Reed's Witches' Tarot

- The Sideshow Tarot, which I picked up at my (now defunct, alas) local SF con.  The artist is local to me, and had a table set up in the Dealers' Room, so of course, tarot geek that I am, I had to check it out.  It's surprisingly well-done, given that he didn't put any study into tarot before designing it - I've seen decks designed by much more tarot-knowledgeable people that were much poorer in representing the "sense" of the cards.

- A Voyager Tarot, because it's notorious for going out of print and being unavailable for long periods.  I don't suppose it's the only deck this is true of, but I'm especially aware of this one, because one of my first students was a total wizard with it.  So when I saw a deck - and its book - last summer, I grabbed it.  (And it looks, if Aeclectic's Amazon link is anything to go by, like it's out of print again.)  It's definitely not everyone's cuppa for reading, and I don't know if it's mine (very New Agey, though not in the dismissive newage-rhymes-with-sewage way), but - not unlike the Thoth deck in this respect - it's the sort of deck that, if it's what's called for in a particular circumstance, there's really no substitute.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 01:52:58 am »

I have a completely unused Atlantis deck somewhere but I am married to my Olympic Tarot deck. I can read it perfectly. I also have my own oracle stones which I use on occassion.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 03:47:39 am »

I have the Froud Faeries' Oracle, the Shadowscapes Tarot, and the Haindl Tarot, as well as a Deviant Moon deck on the way as we speak.

I've had the oracle deck the longest (eight years now, I think?) and I used it the most, though I love the Shadowscapes Tarot a lot and I'm getting used to it, though I still don't entirely trust myself to use it well. The Haindl deck and I just... don't get along, it really unsettles me a lot though I couldn't say why.

Excited to get my hands on the Deviant Moon deck as well, and - I totally forgot, I also just finished my own personal oracle deck, which should be shipping to me within a month.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

BurntOctopus

• View Profile
What tarot (or other oracle) decks do you have?
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:50 am »
Hello :)

I own:

The hermetic tarot. I had to get it (back in the day when it was out of print, I think you can buy it again now?) I luckily found a bargain as this addition was a bit rare and expensive. I don't collect tarot or anything I was just very drawn to this deck and still am, it's SO detailed  if I'd have just waited a couple of years I could have saved a few pounds - doh. Well you live and learn!  

Golden Dawn Magical Tarot.
Great for learning tarot (for me personally) as the colours and symbolism is very striking. Although some have said some symbolism is wrong, I say each to their own, it's specifically golden dawn.

Aquarian tarot - because it's beautiful.

Angel tarot - my gran bought it me, this was my first deck, it's a bit battered, and when I have serious work to do, even though aesthetically its not my fave, this is the one I use, it seems to know me best :)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:05 am »
There are so many hundreds of gorgeous decks out there. I'm curious about which ones you use - just one, or a collection?...

I've three decks right now:

- Tattooed Tarot.
- Tarot of the Sweet Twilight.  I love this deck - it is very intuitive and is the one I use most often.
- Fantod pack by Edward Gorey.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »

I never think of myself as a big tarot person...until I think about a question like this!  I have a couple of decks I use on a somewhat regular basis, some oracle decks I use very rarely, and some I just own for various reasons but really never use.

Ones that I use fairly regularly:
*Shadowscape Tarot-  my most recent deck, absolutely love the art work.  This deck is a lot more ethereal feeling to me than my other decks.
*Norse Tarot-  was handed down to me, and I like the feel of it.  To me this is one of my least fanciful decks.
*Cosmic Tarot-  was the first tarot deck I bought and my main deck for many years.

Decks I use only in particular situations or occasionally:
*Rohrig Tarot-  This was a gift many years ago.  The art is very different, it has a kind of modern art twist.  It is a slightly larger size deck though, so somewhat inconvenient for shuffling and reading.
*Medicine cards-  These I inherited when a friend gave me a bunch of their things they no longer used.  I like them well enough, but don't get that great of a read off them for every day things.
*The Celtic Tree Oracle-  I don't really remember where I got these.  I think I bought them because they were cards for the Ogham alphabet.  They kind of feel like a plant version of the Medicine cards, not quite enough of a good read for regular use.

Decks I hardly ever use:
*The Angel oracle-  Gifted to me with the Medicine cards.  I rarely work with angels, but I have never passed the deck on.
*Feng Shui-  A deck I bought a long time ago, but I find the individual cards kind of generic and therefor hard to read.
*The Mage Tarot-  I play a lot of the White Wolf RPG's, and bought this deck back in high school because I loved the art.

I am a sucker for tarot art.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: