collapse
2017 Donation Drive -- Please Help Keep TC Online

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise just over $850 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 12 December: Only $46 more (after Paypal fees) needed to reach our goal! Please donate if you can.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Time to Blame it on Mercury Again  (Read 224 times)

Uneryx

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: seeking
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Time to Blame it on Mercury Again
« on: December 03, 2017, 02:58:17 am »
Welp, the ol' Mercury Retrograde has begun and HOOBOY am I feeling it this time around, especially on the technological end of things... had a rough time earlier trying to get a travel arrangement finalized, my insurance company's website won't accept a benefit claim due to "technical difficulties" even though everything else is running smoothly...

Pair this up with the full moon tomorrow and some other aspects and I'm mentally buckling in for a challenge.

How about you guys? Are you the sort to shake your fists and scream at the planets when things go sideways? I know blaming Mercury Rx for every minor inconvenience is trendy, but the more I pay attention to the planets, the more I see the influence...

Emma Eldritch

Re: Time to Blame it on Mercury Again
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:59:56 am »
How about you guys? Are you the sort to shake your fists and scream at the planets when things go sideways? I know blaming Mercury Rx for every minor inconvenience is trendy, but the more I pay attention to the planets, the more I see the influence...

My mother always says about Mercury retrograde, "that's all that fucking planet ever does."

Jenett

• Staff
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:52:06 am »

There's stuff in my astrological chart (sun in Virgo, which is ruled by Mercury, plus some other aspects) that mean Mercury retrograde tends to hit me with 'stuff goes weird' rather than 'stuff goes wrong'. (Which I appreciate: weird is usually much easier and interesting to deal with!)

I personally mostly treat it as a good time to be extra careful, to look at my habits about tech (and things like backups, what my patterns are, etc.) which I think is useful to do a couple of times a year. And I do spend a little extra time with communications - rereading things to see if something is confusing or might be taken wrong.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

mona lizard

Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan, worships coincidence
  • Preferred Pronouns: she or he
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 01:22:28 pm »

I think it's more that full moon but work-wise I'm facing the bigger animation challenge i've ever had in my life. This would have destroyed me a few months ago but since the end of this summer i've been working a lot on myself and i'm feeling very confident and fulfilled by this gargantuan pile of work. It's amazing when the current hardships shine a light on how better you've gotten since the last hardships!

When it comes to minor inconveniences it's true that i've had wayy to many of them since yesterday, like an unlikely amount of bad luck, so maybe i'm not that invincible to Mercury, but two months ago a (not so skilled apparently) magic user jinxed me (managed to make it last two weeks) and it was pretty much the same cascade of technical difficulties, so I got recent practice against the minor stuff and this time i'm doing backups of my work, i carry an emergency kit, and i won't get too attached to the days where i have train rides planned in case a fish train leaks fish juice that gets mistaken for chemicals and causes to close all train stations around me (happened last time!) :p

Uneryx

• Sr. Apprentice
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 01:34:13 pm »
I think it's more that full moon but work-wise I'm facing the bigger animation challenge i've ever had in my life. This would have destroyed me a few months ago but since the end of this summer i've been working a lot on myself and i'm feeling very confident and fulfilled by this gargantuan pile of work. It's amazing when the current hardships shine a light on how better you've gotten since the last hardships!

When it comes to minor inconveniences it's true that i've had wayy to many of them since yesterday, like an unlikely amount of bad luck, so maybe i'm not that invincible to Mercury, but two months ago a (not so skilled apparently) magic user jinxed me (managed to make it last two weeks) and it was pretty much the same cascade of technical difficulties, so I got recent practice against the minor stuff and this time i'm doing backups of my work, i carry an emergency kit, and i won't get too attached to the days where i have train rides planned in case a fish train leaks fish juice that gets mistaken for chemicals and causes to close all train stations around me (happened last time!) :p

Oh yeah, I'm not ruling out the full moon, either. The fact that it was very specifically computer, health and travel related puts it squarely on Mercury's shoulders to me though.

Good luck with the animation challenges! Are you 2D or 3D?

mona lizard

Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan, worships coincidence
  • Preferred Pronouns: she or he
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:22:49 pm »
Oh yeah, I'm not ruling out the full moon, either. The fact that it was very specifically computer, health and travel related puts it squarely on Mercury's shoulders to me though.

Good luck with the animation challenges! Are you 2D or 3D?

Usually a bit of both since i specialize in compositing and thrive in mixed media movies (last year i worked as an assistant director and a technician on a short that had stop motion backgrounds, 3D character animation and 2D fx so you kind of have to play the renaissance man!), but right now i have to make a 2D movie (which is a mix between a commission and a school assignment since) all by myself for a client, from the writing to the sound mixing, + all the (traditional!) animation by myself! But i'm getting a little off topic.

The main "character" (its a little bit too abstract to call it that) in the short is a little pair of soft wings flying through the world, so I hope the Mercury symbolism will protect me :p

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:40 am »
Welp, the ol' Mercury Retrograde has begun and HOOBOY am I feeling it this time around, especially on the technological end of things... had a rough time earlier trying to get a travel arrangement finalized, my insurance company's website won't accept a benefit claim due to "technical difficulties" even though everything else is running smoothly...

Pair this up with the full moon tomorrow and some other aspects and I'm mentally buckling in for a challenge.

I don't usually have technological issues, but interpersonal issues. Like me and everyone around me is just difficult and moody. Including my son. Our birthdays are less than two weeks apart, so he shares some of mommy's traits. I'm an Aquarius with Pisces Moon sign and Scorpio ascending. Mercury retrograde makes me a stubborn ball of fury it seems. I will say that things don't run as smoothly as they should work-wise.

Eastling

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Utterly Pure
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:17:18 am »

I've paid a bit more attention to the planets lately, as I'm worshipping a star goddess (among others), but it's still very hit and miss. Often times I just get nothing of import from the alignment of the stars.

Mercury retrograde seems to do good things for me, though.
Utterly Pure, a virtual shrine in progress to Ariadne; Someday Comes Back, my general mysticism/pop culture blog.
Everything dies, baby: that's a fact. But maybe everything that dies someday comes back.
--Bruce Springsteen
The words of Dionysos and Ariadne from the mouth of their beloved son: Rule with your heart; live with your conscience; love and be free.

CoyoteFeathers

• Sr. Apprentice
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Vaguely Norse and Druidic paganism + ancestor worship
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:50 am »

In the past I haven't really paid too much attention to Mercury or how it affected my daily life. This time around I'm definitely seeing it. Fortunately no tech issues so far (I'm generally good with tech anyway, though we'll see when my new desktop comes in tomorrow), but everything else is bonkers. It's the worst time for someone like me, working in retail, for communication issues, too!

One of my coworkers, who's always been fairly laid back and friendly, has started leaving some passive aggressive notes on our communication log. Then I got in bit of a spat with my mom- which isn't unusual but hasn't happened for a while- and a couple of my customers who are normally very nice and understanding have been more irritable than usual, even when they're not worried about their orders being in for Christmas. Sheesh!

EnderDragonFire

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
  • Hindu and also Pagan
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Sri Vaishnavism
  • Preferred Pronouns: any
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:56 pm »
Welp, the ol' Mercury Retrograde has begun and HOOBOY am I feeling it this time around, especially on the technological end of things...

I have nothing to add, but... I didn't check which section of the forum this was in, and at first I thought you were blaming this guy for all your trouble: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(mythology)
(Obviously, I'm not into astrology, or I would not have made this assumption!)
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." - Sri Krishna

Uneryx

• Sr. Apprentice
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 11:01:28 pm »
I have nothing to add, but... I didn't check which section of the forum this was in, and at first I thought you were blaming this guy for all your trouble: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(mythology)
(Obviously, I'm not into astrology, or I would not have made this assumption!)

Haha! Nah, I have no beef with the deity, just the planet.

Ppl who are more versed in Astrology, would the rulership of Mercury over my ascendant (Gemini) amplify the effects? I have had just the shortest temper and I keep jumping to the wrong conclusions.

Tags: