collapse

Author Topic: Tea Leaves  (Read 1382 times)

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Tea Leaves
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:56:30 pm »
A friend recently was cleaning with her Gramma and they found a Tea Leaf reading cup+saucer. She mentioned that she had a friend that might enjoy learning to read tea leaves, and now the set is in my cupboard mocking me.

I have so many questions.

Does anyone here read tea leaves? How did you learn? What type of tea do you use? How do you keep the tea leaves from getting in your mouth while you drink the liquid? Did you use a set of symbols already established or did you create your own? Do you do a reading for the day to practice? Can you read your own tea leaves?

Help a clueless sister out?

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Leaves
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:34:30 pm »
A friend recently was cleaning with her Gramma and they found a Tea Leaf reading cup+saucer. She mentioned that she had a friend that might enjoy learning to read tea leaves, and now the set is in my cupboard mocking me.

I have so many questions.

I have some possibly useful answers. :)

How did you learn?

I saw a 101-type book on it and picked it up. Other than that, trial and error. I wouldn't claim to be good at it.

What type of tea do you use?

I use loose-leaf green tea. I use a generous pinch per cup and crumble the leaves a bit so the pieces will be about the right size. The shape of the cup is also important: it should be smoothly curved inside.

How do you keep the tea leaves from getting in your mouth while you drink the liquid?

Most of the tea leaves naturally settle to the bottom of the cup. The trick to getting good shapes is not to drink all the tea - leave just enough behind that the leaves can slosh around the cup when you swirl it, but not so much that the leaves all drain out when you turn the cup over.

Did you use a set of symbols already established or did you create your own?

I generally don't go too deep into interpretation -- I mostly just practice seeing shapes in the tea leaves. Sometimes I look up the symbolism, sometimes I go with the personal associations that shape has for me.

Tea leaf reading is less like, say, runes, than it's like dream interpretation: anything at all might turn up. I got a ninja turtle in my teacup once!

Do you do a reading for the day to practice?

For a while I did one once a week, though I haven't done any lately since it's been too f--- hot to think about tea.

Can you read your own tea leaves?

I don't see why not. For me personally, I'm of the belief that I'm accessing my own subconscious this way, rather than the future or anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:14:39 pm »
I don't see why not. For me personally, I'm of the belief that I'm accessing my own subconscious this way, rather than the future or anything.

That is pretty much my belief about divination. My subconscious is HORRIBLE at communication and needs me to help it so often. This seems like a really good way to do it, though I need a better cup, the one I have has right angles from side to bottom. Which is weird because it is literally a tea leaf reading set. Ah well, there is a pretty blue and white tea set I want that fits the curved base purpose :D

I have some possibly useful answers. :)

Your answers were incredibly helpful! Thank you so so much Sefiru :)

Was the book one of those "For Dummies" books? I adore the way those are written to be honest. Its all organized in a way my brain enjoys :P

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:10:50 pm »
Was the book one of those "For Dummies" books? I adore the way those are written to be honest. Its all organized in a way my brain enjoys :P

No, it's called "Tea Leaf Reading for Beginners," published by Llewellyn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:19:18 pm »

No, it's called "Tea Leaf Reading for Beginners," published by Llewellyn.

I'm gonna look into it at the library this week. I like having reading material under my belt.

I got a ninja turtle in my teacup once!

I need to know, which one?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:04:04 pm »
I need to know, which one?

I don't know, since it was just a silhouette. There was no mistaking the shell though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: