Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: tarot spread suggestions  (Read 1457 times)

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
tarot spread suggestions
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:02 pm »
I've been reading for about three years now and I find I'm very capable but now, my skills are being put to the test: I've been asked to use my tarot skills for a performance, essentially doing tarot readings for audience members through-out the night. I'm really excited about this opportunity but I'm also starting to get anxious.

Getting back to the title, what I think I'm really asking for is spread suggestions. I use the celtic cross almost always, occasionally trying out other large spreads but for this show, I feel I may only have time to do 1 or 3 card spreads per audience member at a time before moving on to the next. And for the record, I'll be using the traditional Rider-Waite deck for this show.

If anyone has any small spreads they like or suggestions on how to better read with having fewer cards, I'd like to hear it. During the rehearsal process, I'm sure I'll be practicing on my castmates but hey, it's live theatre and anything can happen! Advice or anything encouraging sounding would be appreciated.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: tarot spread suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:57:26 pm »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;95356

If you expect to have a lot of takers, you could perfect the one-card everything spread. :)  With length being a factor, you would need the client to ask their question out loud.  Then you shuffle, they cut the deck, and you read the bottom card of the cut.  Keep the deck in your hands for the sake of speed, and keep it light.  If it is performance and people are expecting to be entertained, keep your readings over-the-top dramatic, light, and funny.  I don't mean ignore the meaning of the card, I mean stretch it out, joke with it, find the light side.

I've done shows and find people will forgive you inaccuracy if you make them laugh.  (also, this method is surprisingly accurate)  Are you going to be dressing the part?  Burlesquing? Being woo-woo?  Practice slurring your words slightly, so it's exotic but not an identifiable accent.

Of course, if this isn't the kind of show you're putting on, ignore me.  If it is something with a counter or table and people come up to you you can do a three card to a five card spread relatively quickly.  In this case, let the client shuffle and cut the cards while they tell you their question.  If you need to ask for clarification, do it after the cards are laid out.  With fewer cards it is difficult to isolate a single line of advice.  That is one way in which large spreads are easier.  A typical 3-card spread is past-present-future or, if they are wondering about something they want/plan to do, good-bad-neutral.  Five cards can be the same with more detail.

Something that I found always went over well at shows were relationship spreads.  Basically two decks, shuffled by both partners, with the same spread laid with each.  This is also something to be over-the-top with, prophesying eternity or disaster in dramatic tones, then using the actual card meaning to sneak in your advice.  The one thing you don't want to do is have people walking away unhappy or crying.  Go for the laugh every time.  If you are handing out business cards, or have a stack of them for people to take, explain the private sessions are a lot more serious and deep than open days.

I always had fun on open days, and usually came out with a few new clients, the occasional drinking buddy, and good memories.

Absent
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:01:33 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
Re: tarot spread suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:24:05 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;95386
:)  

Thank you, Absent! As of right now, the first kind of show you described is pretty much exactly how it will be. Maybe during the intermission, I could spread out, do more in-depth readings but otherwise, I'll be wandering the audience and doing one card spreads here and there. I probably should have also mentioned that this is a for a circus-themed show; technically, yes, I am a clown! So I should certainly go for the laugh, thank you for that reminder. I hadn't thought too much about the stereotypical fortune teller but I'll definitely be pursing that thought (and the accent!) in rehearsals and see what comes of it.

I'm very excited, but feel a bit out of my depth, because I like large spreads, explaining the cards kindly to my usually uncertain clients. Going for one card and a laugh is a new challenge for me but one I want to tackle!

Tags: