collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: Well Met by Aisling
[Today at 08:06:59 am]


Well Met by Goraxes
[Yesterday at 11:47:48 pm]


Bardic Shield by entwife
[Yesterday at 07:22:18 pm]


Can a candle be relit while dreaming of a deceased parent? by rachel
[Yesterday at 06:54:44 pm]


Re: It's nice to have found somewhere to come and chat about Paganism! by Pendle Girl
[Yesterday at 06:40:42 pm]

Author Topic: Tarot Interpretation  (Read 728 times)

Aisling

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 3860
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 243
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Tarot Interpretation
« on: March 01, 2014, 07:02:22 pm »
Would anyone like to take a stab at interpreting a spread that I've thrown down?  I'm feeling blocked, but the reading doesn't feel like it's an inaccurate one or gibberish (and I'm pretty good at discerning these).  I may just be too wrapped up int the situation to get a clear feel for it.

Background:  My work world has been turned on its head this week and major changes are going to be happening in the very near future.  I really don't know if this is going to be the best thing ever or if these changes are going to plunge me into the seventh level of work hell.  I can give more detail via PM, if needed, regarding the specifics of the situation.

Reading: Celtic Cross with focus on work

Center Card:  Three Pentacles
Crossing Card: Ace of Wands
Card Behind (left position of cross): Hanged Man
Card Beneath (bottom position of cross): Queen of Pentacles
Card Above (top position of cross): Nine of Wands
Card Ahead (right position of cross): Devil
Self: Four of Pentacles
Environment: Four of Cups
Hopes/Fears: Six of Cups
Outcome: Hermit

I can make sense of some of the individual bits of this, but am failing to get a good overall picture, particularly in relation to what lies ahead and the outcome.  

Any thoughts?
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Tarot Interpretation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:45 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;141328
Would anyone like to take a stab at interpreting a spread that I've thrown down?  I'm feeling blocked, but the reading doesn't feel like it's an inaccurate one or gibberish (and I'm pretty good at discerning these).  I may just be too wrapped up int the situation to get a clear feel for it.

Background:  My work world has been turned on its head this week and major changes are going to be happening in the very near future.  I really don't know if this is going to be the best thing ever or if these changes are going to plunge me into the seventh level of work hell.  I can give more detail via PM, if needed, regarding the specifics of the situation.

Reading: Celtic Cross with focus on work

Center Card:  Three Pentacles
Crossing Card: Ace of Wands
Card Behind (left position of cross): Hanged Man
Card Beneath (bottom position of cross): Queen of Pentacles
Card Above (top position of cross): Nine of Wands
Card Ahead (right position of cross): Devil
Self: Four of Pentacles
Environment: Four of Cups
Hopes/Fears: Six of Cups
Outcome: Hermit

I can make sense of some of the individual bits of this, but am failing to get a good overall picture, particularly in relation to what lies ahead and the outcome.  

Any thoughts?

 
Aisling, which deck did you use and is it Rider-Waite derived?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aisling

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 3860
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 243
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Tarot Interpretation
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:26:28 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;141384
Aisling, which deck did you use and is it Rider-Waite derived?

 
It's a standard Rider-Waite deck.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

LiminalDancer

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Mar 2014
  • Posts: 4
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tarot Interpretation
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:30 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;141328
Background:  My work world has been turned on its head this week and major changes are going to be happening in the very near future.  I really don't know if this is going to be the best thing ever or if these changes are going to plunge me into the seventh level of work hell.  I can give more detail via PM, if needed, regarding the specifics of the situation.

Reading: Celtic Cross with focus on work

Center Card:  Three Pentacles
Crossing Card: Ace of Wands
Card Behind (left position of cross): Hanged Man
Card Beneath (bottom position of cross): Queen of Pentacles
Card Above (top position of cross): Nine of Wands
Card Ahead (right position of cross): Devil
Self: Four of Pentacles
Environment: Four of Cups
Hopes/Fears: Six of Cups
Outcome: Hermit

I can make sense of some of the individual bits of this, but am failing to get a good overall picture, particularly in relation to what lies ahead and the outcome.  

Any thoughts?


I don't read professionally or anything, and I don't know how you usually interpret the circle part of the celtic cross spread, but this was my interpretation.

Right now, you're trying to work with people you trust and respect to manifest whatever it is your job to manifest (center).  Your intention is good, and the work you do could not only lead to prosperity for you and your coworkers, but also for your community (bottom).  However, you've had to fight to get to this stage (top), and despite having been victorious numerous times, the essence of what you struggled against is still crossing you (crossing).  My guess is that there is a lack of motivation on someone's part, that possibly you have a new coworker who is messing up the dynamic, or that you're exhausted from the fight.  I also think that getting to this stage was a long time coming and you might have had to endure some scrutiny to get to where you are (left).  It looks like in the immediate future (right), you will be bound either to this person (if it is a person), or you might get distracted from your work by things that don't contribute to the center card and get bogged down in drama.  

Your response to this situation is to double-down on your job duties and hoard the results (self), while your coworkers might see you as ignoring the benefits that this new element/person is bringing into the workplace (environment).  It looks like there is a problem with communication and respect right now; someone is being ignored.  You hope that you can trust and work well with your coworkers, but you fear that the way your job is right now that none of you are successfully using your tools to complete the job correctly (hopes & fears; I got this from the kids using the goblets as planters).  It may be that someone's using cups methods for pentacle purposes or the other way around.  In the end, it looks like you will hole-up for awhile and let the chaos blow over (outcome/insight).  

I was taught that in order to get to the last card, you have to go through the immediate future card if you're interpreting the last card as the outcome.  If you're interpreting it as an insight card, then you can use the last card to color your understanding of the other cards.  If you don't want to be shackled by the devil, or if you want to make it as brief and painless as possible, you might consider the lesson of the hermit.  A hermit doesn't turn away those who come to him, but he also doesn't seek them out.  He is a teacher, so you might find it useful to mentor the person who isn't gelling with the group (if that's the problem).  The devil card reminds me of some bosses I've had and currently have; I hope you don't have similar issues.

I hope some of this helps give you some insight.

Aisling

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 3860
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 243
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Tarot Interpretation
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:42:38 pm »
Quote from: LiminalDancer;141474
I was taught that in order to get to the last card, you have to go through the immediate future card if you're interpreting the last card as the outcome.  If you're interpreting it as an insight card, then you can use the last card to color your understanding of the other cards.  If you don't want to be shackled by the devil, or if you want to make it as brief and painless as possible, you might consider the lesson of the hermit.  A hermit doesn't turn away those who come to him, but he also doesn't seek them out.  He is a teacher, so you might find it useful to mentor the person who isn't gelling with the group (if that's the problem).  The devil card reminds me of some bosses I've had and currently have; I hope you don't have similar issues.

I hope some of this helps give you some insight.

 
Thank you for your interpretation.  Much of it makes sense in the context of the situation as it stands (and as it will stand during a transitional phase over the next month or two).

Talk about ignoring someone... I was so focused on what would happen after the transition, that I was completely disregarding the obvious interpretation of the Devil.  That would be the ex-supervisor from hell, who was the catalyst for all of the change that's happening now.  For the time being, she is at the center of all the drama and change (but not for much longer, thankfully!).

Your description of the hermit as teacher makes sense as well, so much so that I'm smacking myself in the head and saying "duh, why didn't I see that?".  The problem isn't one person gelling with the group; it's that we have two very different teams that are merging- the Devil's team and my current one.  Lucky me, having a better knowledge of the Devil's department than her current staff, I've been designated as the go-to person in the transition. So, yes, mentoring two very different teams of people while trying to get them to gel with each other.  
 
Thanks again for interpreting this. In retrospect it's easy to see where I was getting tripped up - I was trying to tease out what would happen after the transitional phase, rather than just listening to what the cards were saying (which really, were just confirmations of what I already knew).
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
1985 Views
Last post February 16, 2012, 09:40:21 pm
by Mithril
12 Replies
1276 Views
Last post March 07, 2013, 10:21:56 am
by Aspiria
18 Replies
1965 Views
Last post February 04, 2014, 09:10:55 pm
by Ravyn
3 Replies
1163 Views
Last post August 09, 2014, 11:35:27 pm
by Hyacinth Belle
3 Replies
1809 Views
Last post January 06, 2021, 09:22:38 pm
by monk

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal