Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Tarot Decks You Can do Without  (Read 6149 times)

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tarot Decks You Can do Without
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;117464
I once tried a celtic tarot deck in which they used pictures of actual people to represent the archetypes (the various members of the court, The Fool, The Hierophant, etc.).  I liked the symbolic balance of the deck, and I liked the artwork surrounding the figures.  But I couldn't read with the darn thing.  The photos just bugged me.  And trying to cast spells with them was even worse and never actually came off.  I just kept thinking, "If I'm using this person's image, isn't it going to startle or distract them when I evoke energy using it?  What if they're driving when I evoke the energy and they get distracted at a critical moment?  What if I evoke a bountiful, fruit-bedecked card when the person photographed there has the flu and is puking five times a day?  Or what if I evoke a card with fertility god themes the day the person portrayed there has a vasectomy?  It really sounds silly when I talk about it, but - damn it - the idea just bothered me.  I enchanted the cards, bundled them up with directions for renewing the spell, and sent them to a fellow-diviner who didn't have a problem with the imagery.

Also, although I wasn't present, I've heard a horrific story about some violent and disturbed things that happened after a bare-bones amateur conducted a reading using an H.R. Giger deck.  Now, don't get me wrong - Giger is a talented artist; I grew up watching the Alien movies and playing the first Darkseed game on DOS.  But I do not, under any circumstances, recommend using one of those decks to read; collect it for the art, but don't use it for divination.

On the other side of things, I agree with the folks who avoid the fluffy decks.  I don't say they should be banned, but I'm not a fluffy sort of pagan - loving and spiky, perhaps, but not fluffy.

I found the Giger deck and aquired it (the major arcana is all it is, I think).  I love to look at it, and compare it with other decks, but it would feel wierd to read with it,  Too close to the movies.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 07:57:36 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;73909
I thought this might be a fun thread for those tarot users who collect decks, especially for their artwork or overall theme. So far I only have about 25 decks, but I look forward to collecting many more.

Are there any themes or deck-styles you think could use a bit of a break, or need to be put on hold for the next 100 years?

I want to hear other people's opinions before I share my own, but I'll kick off with at least one;

Gothic decks.

Too many of them, too much recycled symbolism, too many forlorn waifs with runny mascara holding pentacles while staring off into...I don't know the fucking moonrise or something. Seriously, I think the tarot market could do without a new gothic tarot deck for awhile.

I have a certain dislike for the various gimmick decks out there. I can deal with Celtic tarot, Hellenic tarot, or even animal tarot depending on the sort, but when you start getting to Gothic tarot, vampire tarot, and things of that nature I start to cringe.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 08:27:26 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;117489
I found the Giger deck and aquired it (the major arcana is all it is, I think).  I love to look at it, and compare it with other decks, but it would feel wierd to read with it,  Too close to the movies.

I totally want that deck. XD

I'm still looking for a good Lovecraft deck. The H.P. Lovecraft deck looks awesome but as it appears to be out of print I've only found used copies that are extremely expensive. I looooathe the Necronomicon deck, and the Dark Grimoire is a bit uneven. (My mom owned it, heh. I gave it to a friend.)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 08:30:07 pm »
Are there any themes or deck-styles you think could use a bit of a break, or need to be put on hold for the next 100 years?

Not really a deck style or theme, but I think most of the "improved" tarot decks with extra cards, really different suits, etc. need to go away -- as in not be marketed as tarot decks. I have no problem with the decks themselves being sold, just when they are being sold as tarot decks.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:00 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;117464

Also, although I wasn't present, I've heard a horrific story about some violent and disturbed things that happened after a bare-bones amateur conducted a reading using an H.R. Giger deck.  Now, don't get me wrong - Giger is a talented artist; I grew up watching the Alien movies and playing the first Darkseed game on DOS.  But I do not, under any circumstances, recommend using one of those decks to read; collect it for the art, but don't use it for divination.

My first though on this (OK, after my initial "There's a Giger Tarot?!  WANT!!!) is that I've heard horrific stories about violent and disturbed things happening when bare-bones amateurs attempted to use a OuiJa board too.

In other words, I'm not sure that's the deck's fault.

Granted, the imagery is going to be incredibly disturbing: it's Giger.  If you're going to use the deck, you've got to be someone who's prepared to deal with that particular style of image.

He's one of my favorite artists, but I'm not sure I could read that deck - knowing how my particular kind of madness works.  

Still desperately want it though.
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 07:59:27 am »
Quote from: Thorn;117521
Granted, the imagery is going to be incredibly disturbing: it's Giger.  If you're going to use the deck, you've got to be someone who's prepared to deal with that particular style of image.

I think the Giger deck is one of those that is more suited to tarot art collectors than to the average tarot reader. I have nothing against such decks , but people do need to use common sense about using them for actual readings. They are often really only useful for certain types of readings and/or certain personality types of readers.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Tarot Decks You Can do Without
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:19 am »
I thought this might be a fun thread for those tarot users who collect decks, especially for their artwork or overall theme. So far I only have about 25 decks, but I look forward to collecting many more.

I want to hear other people's opinions before I share my own, but I'll kick off with at least one;

Gothic decks.

Too many of them, too much recycled symbolism, too many forlorn waifs with runny mascara holding pentacles while staring off into...I don't know the fucking moonrise or something. Seriously, I think the tarot market could do without a new gothic tarot deck for awhile.

The awful, awful CGI ones. Like the gilded tarot or whatever it is called. That one annoys me the most as I've now had two people buy it for me as a present because they know I like tarot decks and they've seen that it's one of the best selling ones (why is it? It's awful! ).

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Tarot Decks You Can do Without
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 02:36:43 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;117562
The awful, awful CGI ones. Like the gilded tarot or whatever it is called. That one annoys me the most as I've now had two people buy it for me as a present because they know I like tarot decks and they've seen that it's one of the best selling ones (why is it? It's awful! ).

The Gilded deck didn't click with me the first time, but now it's one of the ones I use most often. But then, having friends who are digital artists, I don't look down on the medium.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;117486
Aside from the obvious Doreen Virtue stuff, I don't like the Hello Kitty one.  I've only seen the deck once, but it was enough.  Too cutesy for me.  And I *love* cats!  It belongs with the barfing unicorns and fairies, I think.

I'm really curious about how Ms. Virtue comes out with so many decks. Like seriously. I know some people are talented as all hell but even Robert Place takes a bit to put out a new deck.

I'd actually LIKE an Angel deck that was a bit more realistic. You know...wheels of fire covered in eyes...
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 03:53:27 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;117577
I'm really curious about how Ms. Virtue comes out with so many decks. Like seriously. I know some people are talented as all hell but even Robert Place takes a bit to put out a new deck.

I'd actually LIKE an Angel deck that was a bit more realistic. You know...wheels of fire covered in eyes...

Now that one sounds like it would be worth ones time.A deck with images of the angelic hosts as they are actually described.
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 05:12:29 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;117521
My first though on this (OK, after my initial "There's a Giger Tarot?!  WANT!!!) is that I've heard horrific stories about violent and disturbed things happening when bare-bones amateurs attempted to use a OuiJa board too.

In other words, I'm not sure that's the deck's fault.

He's one of my favorite artists, but I'm not sure I could read that deck - knowing how my particular kind of madness works.  

Still desperately want it though.

Slightly off topic, but... I had surgery last week, and while recuperating I wound up watching a looooot of bad cable TV. There's this new ghost show on A&E that is basically mini versions of Paranormal Activity claiming to be real - it is the WORST show ever.

In one episode, there's these teenagers in the house. One of them is like... oh god. The most stereotypical angst ridden dark Wiccan-esque teenager EVER. Pudgy, glasses, monotone voice, GIANT pentacle necklace... total "I am cursing the bullies at my school in the name of the goddess" kinda thing. LOVED him. I saw him and was like, "this is the kind of kid the Cauldron gets posting all of a sudden, usually around October..." Good lord. Aaaaanyway. Of course they drag out a Ouija board and make the situation worse and blah blah blah demons blah blahhhhh.

Point being: yeah, don't blame the tool. 90% of the time it's the user.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 11:32:05 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;117573
The Gilded deck didn't click with me the first time, but now it's one of the ones I use most often. But then, having friends who are digital artists, I don't look down on the medium.

I love the Gilded Tarot. I think the art is beautiful and it's the tarot I can count on to consistently tell me the truth without sugar-coating it. It's snarky and blunt and to the point. Exactly the sort of deck I prefer.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 02:31:28 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;117439
Jane's Georgian.  Edwardian c

(It's a couple pages back but I just noticed this.  Don't know what happened there.  I meant to say "Edwardian came after Victoria, I think." :o )
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

yennork

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 02:16:54 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;117583
Now that one sounds like it would be worth ones time.A deck with images of the angelic hosts as they are actually described.

That certainly would be interesting!

OTOH, how many Rider-Waite clones does the world need? Not to mention different Rider-Waite editions?
Never mind what should be or what might be or what ought to be. It\'s what things are that\'s important.

Granny Weatherwax

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 12:49:08 am »
Quote from: yennork;117957
That certainly would be interesting!

OTOH, how many Rider-Waite clones does the world need? Not to mention different Rider-Waite editions?

I never really saw a problem with the Rider Waite deck. :/

Tags: