Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Tarot deck  (Read 3624 times)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
Tarot deck
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:38:20 am »
I wanted to buy a tarot deck so I went to a bookstore with magic stuff. I saw the decks but I didn't feel like buying one. Some months later, I went to a bookstore that had nothing to do with magic. It was a brand name bookstore, like a huge supermarket for books. There I saw a tarot deck. The moment I hold the deck I couldn't put it down. I bought it right away. Tarot decks are not lifeless tools, in my opinion. I think tarot decks choose us and we choose them. :)
Do you feel a connection with a particular tarot deck? How do you pick a tarot deck?

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Tarot deck
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:38:39 am »
I wanted to buy a tarot deck so I went to a bookstore with magic stuff. I saw the decks but I didn't feel like buying one. Some months later, I went to a bookstore that had nothing to do with magic. It was a brand name bookstore, like a huge supermarket for books. There I saw a tarot deck. The moment I hold the deck I couldn't put it down. I bought it right away. Tarot decks are not lifeless tools, in my opinion. I think tarot decks choose us and we choose them. :)
Do you feel a connection with a particular tarot deck? How do you pick a tarot deck?

Absolutely. The two decks I use are ones I felt an immediate connection to, even when others were doing readings for me.

My decks are the Gilded Tarot by Ciro Marchetti and the Faerie's Oracle by Brian Froud. Both decks have very different personalities and energies, but they've been instrumental in my developing path.

I chose the Gilded Tarot because the art appealed to me and the imagery gave me a good understanding of the RWS system.

The Faerie's Oracle, on the other hand, called out to me. It's a fiddly deck and not the easiest to read with right away, but it has an energy and responsiveness that's quite interesting.

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 01:41:37 pm »

My main tarot deck is the Egipcios Kier Tarot. It was recommended to me about... fifteen? years ago, so I bought it and felt I could work with it really well. I also like the Universal Waite Tarot sometimes, but I collect decks, so I try to use all of them at least once to see how they feel to me. I also love to work with the Faerie Guidance Oracle.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »
My main tarot deck is the Egipcios Kier Tarot. It was recommended to me about... fifteen? years ago, so I bought it and felt I could work with it really well. I also like the Universal Waite Tarot sometimes, but I collect decks, so I try to use all of them at least once to see how they feel to me. I also love to work with the Faerie Guidance Oracle.

I am also a deck collector...but I collect decks I am drawn to (almost always it's the art that calls me, though a few call me to their concept).

I think of my decks in two main categories:  decks I had to have, and decks I couldn't pass up. 

So, decks I had to have are ones that I fell in love with.  Typically these are decks that I have (or would have been willing) to pay full price for (up to $60ish bucks I think is the most I have paid for a deck to date).  These also tend to be the decks I come back to the most, the ones that get the most use.

Then there are decks that I couldn't pass up.  If I see a tarot deck at a used store for under $5 (and I have the money), it will be coming home with me.  It pretty much doesn't matter what the deck is, I will buy it.  I have also started watching for cheap decks online (again in the under $5 including shipping price range).  Also, if I know someone who is trying to rehome a deck, and no one else seems interested, I'll take it.  These decks I do work with, but I also often just hold them until I meet someone who actually wants them.  I've had some lovely surprises (a deck I got for $2 on Wish ended up being a really cute deck with stained glass imagery, and hubby found me one at a local used book store that is really wacky, but has grown on me...it freaks some of my friends out, the art is very funky).  In some ways, I think of myself as a home for waward pagan stuff...I hate to see things abandoned with no one to love them, especially decks!

As far as which decks really call to me, I have sort of particular taste in art, and I have found I really need to see all the cards in a deck, because too many times I'll like 'most' of the cards in a deck, but the few I don't like really throw me off and make it hard to read.  People in cards tend to be where I struggle the most, so I absolutely need to see the court cards (as those tend to be the most generic people cards in most decks).  I also need to see the aces (because they tend to be just a giant pentacle or wand or whatever the deck suits are, and I don't like those style as much) and to a lesser extent the minor cards (same reasoning, I don't care much for decks that just have 7 swords or cups on the card in a symmetrical pattern).

I have also found that if I want a deck bad enough....it will find a way to me.  This may mean that I save up and get it, years after I first saw it (that is how I got my transparent tarot), or a friend might gift it to me (this has happened twice:  the Rohrig and the Everyday Witches). 
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 04:41:34 pm »

My method is not ideal--I basically just buy whatever Tarot decks look like they appeal to me, try to use them, and see which work best. In the past I've struggled with this, often winding up with decks that appealed to me at first but ultimately don't work very well.

At this point, I use several different Tarot decks, depending on what kind of reading I want and which Powers I'm getting in touch with. For instance, I have found that the Wild Unknown deck is no-nonsense and good at standing up to the will of my Powers to produce results beyond just "whatever Mercury wants to say to me right now." On the other hand, if I specifically want to get in touch with the spirit of David Bowie, I will of course use the Starman deck. When I need a minimalist deck with simple designs, the Everyday Tarot is lovely.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 08:35:26 am »
My decks are the Gilded Tarot by Ciro Marchetti and the Faerie's Oracle by Brian Froud. Both decks have very different personalities and energies, but they've been instrumental in my developing path.

I chose the Gilded Tarot because the art appealed to me and the imagery gave me a good understanding of the RWS system.
The deck I have uses numerology and astrology. The minor arcana has numbers without the rws icons.  :)

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 12:22:27 am »
The deck I have uses numerology and astrology. The minor arcana has numbers without the rws icons.  :)

That sounds like the old school kinds of tarot. I had a deck like that called the Hermetic Tarot which was loaded with numerological and astrological symbols. I got rid of it because I didn't like the art XD.

Aetherwinds

• Sr. Newbie
  • M = GL (1- A) (1-R)
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's complicated
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 02:58:26 am »

I don't! And I pick a deck by visual attraction and clarity of symbolism.

It's actually frustrating because I've been using tarot for 32 years now. I started with a Greek mythological deck but gave it to a friend when I got my Thoth deck because I felt no connection with it. I still use my Thoth, it's so rich with symbols but only for introspection because people I read for are scared of it/it makes them uncomfortable, dunno why. So for casual readings I used the Art Nouveau Tarot because I was drawn to the beautiful style (the Star is amazing) but it is not perfect still. My latest is the Witches Tarot, gorgeous but some cards are just not it. I also use Moonology Oracle cards for clarification when needed. My son use a basic Rider-Waite.

Basically I am not a fan or Rider-Waite type of decks, they changed some of the old cards from the Marseilles Tarot too much. Like where is the third person in the Lover card? The fool is being clawed by a wild cat not followed or lead by a small dog, the Magician is supposed to have lesser attributes before him and the dices are missing etc. lots of little details that mean so much left out, but the Marseilles deck has too much religious connotations for my liking!

That is why I suffer my decks until I finish drawing my own with symbols that make sense for a witch, not hermetic mages. A redrawing of the Marseilles deck adapted to my spirituality and culture with a sprinkle of useful stuff and how I interpret the cards. It's a long term projects of course, I am no artist but I'm a perfectionist! I think everyone should create their own deck, isn't there always a few cards that don't feel right?

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:45:30 pm »
I think everyone should create their own deck, isn't there always a few cards that don't feel right?
I see what you mean. But I trust my deck. I embraced it wholeheartedly.  :)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 01:04:47 am »
I'm a reader and deck collector. I pick my decks for various reasons:

1. I love the art. This is probably the most common reason; the art speaks to me so I buy it.
2. I like the subject matter. Occasionally I'll like the subject of a deck. As long as the artwork doesn't detract, I'll consider buying it.
3. I'm trying to build diversity in my collection.

My ONE criteria for deck selection is that I feel I can read with it. If a deck lands in my collection and I just don't find that I connect with it in readings, I pass it on. I do want my collection to be a working collection.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tags: