collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz  (Read 1014 times)

Redfaery

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 1345
  • Total likes: 40
    • View Profile
Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:26:30 am »
A short disclaimer: I don't work with the Norse pantheon, and they frankly don't seem terribly interested in me. I came to rune work through a gift from my parents, and my dad's love of Tolkien. I got my first set when I was a kid, because he saw it and thought it was SO COOL. "Hey look, it's runes! Just like on Thorin's map!" So now I have three sets, though I only use two, because the original set that my father gave me was of poor quality, and the runes are starting to crack and crumble. That set seems to depict the futhark. My other two sets (one of which was actually also a gift from my parents!) are apparently the Anglo-Saxon futhorc.

To get to the point, I have had good results communicating with my goddesses, especially my most mysterious goddess, The Virgin Mother. (Who seems to answer to a number of names, but mainly the Virgin Mary of Catholicism). One thing that seems interesting is that I have been drawing the rune Ing quite frequently. In fact, I seem to be drawing it every time!:eek:

I've looked up interpretations, and I'm not satisfied with the idea that Ing represents the tip of a penis. I'd like some more information on the symbolism of the runes themselves, but I've also heard the suggestion that Ing represents the vaginal opening, which is the symbolism I'm sticking with, since it's more meaningful to me. And besides, it just looks more like a vagina to me.;)

So I just want to ask for people's thoughts on the rune Ing or Ingwaz. (Since the runes I'm working with are Anglo-Saxon, thoughts on Ing specifically would be better). I have personally come to interpret it as a rune of initiations, of beginnings, and of coming to fruition. I've heard it referred to as the rune of "new beginnings," and my conception of it built off of this, and my vision of it as representing the vaginal opening - which to me means not just birth, but the fulfillment of creative processes.

Let me hear what you think!:)
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Solstice

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 33
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:15:06 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;141976
A short disclaimer: I don't work with the Norse pantheon, and they frankly don't seem terribly interested in me. I came to rune work through a gift from my parents, and my dad's love of Tolkien. I got my first set when I was a kid, because he saw it and thought it was SO COOL. "Hey look, it's runes! Just like on Thorin's map!" So now I have three sets, though I only use two, because the original set that my father gave me was of poor quality, and the runes are starting to crack and crumble. That set seems to depict the futhark. My other two sets (one of which was actually also a gift from my parents!) are apparently the Anglo-Saxon futhorc.

To get to the point, I have had good results communicating with my goddesses, especially my most mysterious goddess, The Virgin Mother. (Who seems to answer to a number of names, but mainly the Virgin Mary of Catholicism). One thing that seems interesting is that I have been drawing the rune Ing quite frequently. In fact, I seem to be drawing it every time!:eek:

I've looked up interpretations, and I'm not satisfied with the idea that Ing represents the tip of a penis. I'd like some more information on the symbolism of the runes themselves, but I've also heard the suggestion that Ing represents the vaginal opening, which is the symbolism I'm sticking with, since it's more meaningful to me. And besides, it just looks more like a vagina to me.;)

So I just want to ask for people's thoughts on the rune Ing or Ingwaz. (Since the runes I'm working with are Anglo-Saxon, thoughts on Ing specifically would be better). I have personally come to interpret it as a rune of initiations, of beginnings, and of coming to fruition. I've heard it referred to as the rune of "new beginnings," and my conception of it built off of this, and my vision of it as representing the vaginal opening - which to me means not just birth, but the fulfillment of creative processes.

Let me hear what you think!:)

 

Ingwaz, to me, is the chrysalis state before one transforms into a butterfly, or even more appropriately, the seed about to sprout. Ingwaz is a male fertility rune; its female counterpart is the rune Berkano, which is more suited for new beginnings. However, since they're both fertility runes, by extension, you could associate Ingwaz as something new about to hatch--though its energies are more about destroying one state (i.e the egg) to bring about something greater (i.e. the chick), whereas Berkano focuses more on the process of creation (birth).

Ingwaz is representative of that period of gestation, a time to store energy (or acorns for the winter), and to prepare for transformation. I can envision the rune as a hibernating bear leaving his cave feeling refreshed and rejuvenated come Springtime.

http://runesecrets.com/rune-meanings/inguz

Here's a bit more about the rune, though it's for the Elder Futhark. I haven't yet worked with Anglo-Saxon runes, unfortunately.

Though, I would suggest you look into the rune Berkano/Beorc, as it fits more closely with the interpretation you've given for Ingwaz/Ing.

Hope that helps! Ingwaz isn't really my rune of specialty. XD

Redfaery

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Posts: 1345
  • Total likes: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:39:08 am »
Quote from: Solstice;142018
Ingwaz, to me, is the chrysalis state before one transforms into a butterfly, or even more appropriately, the seed about to sprout. Ingwaz is a male fertility rune; its female counterpart is the rune Berkano, which is more suited for new beginnings. However, since they're both fertility runes, by extension, you could associate Ingwaz as something new about to hatch--though its energies are more about destroying one state (i.e the egg) to bring about something greater (i.e. the chick), whereas Berkano focuses more on the process of creation (birth).

Ingwaz is representative of that period of gestation, a time to store energy (or acorns for the winter), and to prepare for transformation. I can envision the rune as a hibernating bear leaving his cave feeling refreshed and rejuvenated come Springtime.

 
A period of gestation would make much sense. I just ask because I KEEP DRAWING IT.

The interpretation you give makes a great deal of sense, given a reading I got last night, where I drew Is, and then Os (ansuz). Which to me suggested a standstill, or plateau, in my spiritual endeavors, just before breakthrough.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Solstice

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 33
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:48:06 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;142026
A period of gestation would make much sense. I just ask because I KEEP DRAWING IT.

The interpretation you give makes a great deal of sense, given a reading I got last night, where I drew Is, and then Os (ansuz). Which to me suggested a standstill, or plateau, in my spiritual endeavors, just before breakthrough.

 
Oh yeah, I know how that is. One of the reasons I was attracted to your thread in the first place was because I drew Ingwaz a few times over the past week and figured I should say something about it, to help me better understand what it was indicating for myself.

But one time I kept drawing Kenaz almost every day for a month before I figured out why. I'm...I'm not one to catch on too quickly. XD

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
2824 Views
Last post May 27, 2014, 12:00:20 pm
by Kyndyl
1 Replies
1329 Views
Last post January 05, 2015, 02:52:10 pm
by SunflowerP
4 Replies
1047 Views
Last post August 25, 2015, 02:43:29 am
by ciaofornow
9 Replies
1502 Views
Last post October 24, 2015, 06:09:27 pm
by SunflowerP
18 Replies
1980 Views
Last post January 07, 2016, 04:32:46 pm
by Elding

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall