collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Rider-Waite tarot deck  (Read 2344 times)

butterfly

• View Profile
Rider-Waite tarot deck
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:02:07 am »
I have used tarot cards many years and I have used different decks. I have noticed that for some reason I don't like Rider-Waite tarot deck or decks which are based on it. I think it has something to do with its symbol system but I am not sure what. Maybe something is missing. I would like to know if anyone else has had same kind of experiences. :confused:

So what do you like Rider-Waite deck?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Rider-Waite tarot deck
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:24:26 am »
Quote from: butterfly;12575

It was the first (and for years the only) deck I had. I've very familiar with it and actually like the symbolism it uses. Like any deck, it's not for everyone.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

butterfly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
for some reason I don't like Rider-Waite tarot deck or decks which are based on it.

I realized afterwards that I expressed myself badly. I have liked Rider-Waite based decks but there has always been an irritation. I just wanted to correct myself.

faefawn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dear-sweetlings.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:56:54 am »
I have used tarot cards many years and I have used different decks. I have noticed that for some reason I don't like Rider-Waite tarot deck or decks which are based on it. I think it has something to do with its symbol system but I am not sure what. Maybe something is missing. I would like to know if anyone else has had same kind of experiences. :confused:

The Rider Waite deck is the first one I ever used but I soon moved onto another deck and that became my main one for many years. I don't have a problem with the deck itself, for myself a prefer something a little fancier though.

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:59:01 pm »

Although I am not keen on the actual Rider-Waite deck I do tend to pick decks in the Rider-Waite style. I am very much a newbie when it comes to Tarot and I think the Rider-Waite style decks just have the most information available in regards to symbolism etc. Once I become comfortable enough I may move on to other decks but I am pretty happy with my current ones for now.

SlySionnach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:50:09 pm »

I started off with the Rider-Waite as well. I think it made it pretty easy for me to learn how to read via symbolism. Since then, I've moved on to other decks that are usually RW-based but more aesthetically pleasing.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »

I have a deck that I use just for myself (don't laugh, but it's a Celtic Faerie deck - which is RW based), but the RW deck is the one I usually use when I do readings for others. I'm not really sure why though. I have a few other decks, those just seem to be the two I use, so in answer to your question, I do like the Rider Waite deck, just not for myself....if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:58:11 pm by hufflee »
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

8BitLady

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »

I like the Rider-Waite Deck, It's pretty much the only one I have used so far, I do have a few oracle cards, But I normally use tarot.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Gall-Ghael
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 02:56:09 pm »

I used to have it, and it served its purpose. Many of the decks around are based around it, as Waite sort of created it resembling the ones they copied in The Golden Dawn, only with a few blinds to keep his oath. I like the system(with a few minor changes) because of its esoteric correspondences with Astrology&the Qabalah, although I prefer Crowley's Thoth, and for divination alone, I like to look at Celtic influenced decks.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »

This was my first deck I received.  I just couldn't get connected with it.  I've tried a couple others since then and got better results for a short time.  My present deck is my favourite and I'm definitely connect with it.  It's not RW based, but the artist that did this deck has done another one with RW influences. I'm drawn to a couple other decks by this same artist as well, so I'm assuming for me, it's all in the interpretations that aren't RW influenced.

Tags: