Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Author Topic: Question about gift for my friend  (Read 1109 times)

Haggis

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Question about gift for my friend
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:26:59 am »
Hey guys my friend was talking today about tarot cards. She is a wiccan and she said she wishes she had "The Witches Deck" and after I asked why she didnt go get it she told me that it is important that someone gives it to her. Lately she has been really struggling with alot of things and I think it would be cool if I got it for her. My problem is that I know virtually nothing about the wicca religion and even less about tarot cards. I googled "Witch Deck" and got 3 or 4 decks that came up and I was just unsure which one she wants. Also when she said that it need to be a gift will it still be acceptable coming from me even though I am not a wiccan? I found this one and thought it looked good but I wanted to check and make sure it is the right one. If someone has a link to one that is better please share. I am looking for suggestions so please help!! I really want it to be special. Thanks in advance!!
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/witches-dugan/

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Question about gift for my friend
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:07:24 am »
Hello!

Quote from: Haggis;126394
... she told me that it is important that someone gives it to her. Lately she has been really struggling with alot of things and I think it would be cool if I got it for her. My problem is that I know virtually nothing about the wicca religion and even less about tarot cards. I googled "Witch Deck" and got 3 or 4 decks that came up and I was just unsure which one she wants.

Yeah, there's a belief that a tarot deck cannot be bought, but needs to be gifted, and it's nice of you to want to buy a deck for your friend.  

As far as the which-witch-deck question goes, the best thing to do here is just ask her which witch deck she wants.  There's a LOT of variation between decks, so it's best to check and get her the right one.  

Also when she said that it need to be a gift will it still be acceptable coming from me even though I am not a wiccan?

You don't need to be Wiccan.  Lots of non-Wiccans use tarot.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;126402
Hello!

Yeah, there's a belief that a tarot deck cannot be bought, but needs to be gifted, and it's nice of you to want to buy a deck for your friend.  

As far as the which-witch-deck question goes, the best thing to do here is just ask her which witch deck she wants.  There's a LOT of variation between decks, so it's best to check and get her the right one.  

You don't need to be Wiccan.  Lots of non-Wiccans use tarot.

I've heard that belief too.  My first deck was a gift and I just couldn't connect with it.  I've since bought a couple and found the one I'm comfortable with.  I suppose it depends on the individual as to this belief if they want to follow it or not.

Would your friend consider a gift certificate from the store that would cover the cost of the tarot deck from you?  That way it would still be a gift and she'd still get the exact deck she'd like.  It would be your money (not hers) that would be paying for it, so it could relieve the stress on her part.  Just an idea to consider :)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 02:06:54 pm »
Quote from: Haggis;126394
when she said that it need to be a gift will it still be acceptable coming from me even though I am not a wiccan?

With both this and which witch deck, better really to ask your friend :)

I personally would only hang on to the superstition that it needs to be a gift because I believe that superstition was a handover from the time where a master initiated the apprentice with "okay now you're ready for this" in which case it would matter that the one gifting me was more advanced in what I was pursuing.

But if she only thinks she can't buy it because she can't buy it, then well obviously save her from buying it :p

Could be something in-between, like, "The cosmos must tell me I'm ready" and well you're part of the cosmos so...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:07:09 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Haggis

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:33:07 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;126402
Hello!

I want it to be a suprise but the more I think about it the more I think you are right. It would really make it so much easier if I just flat out ask her

Tags: