collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Problems with Tarot cards.  (Read 3556 times)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Problems with Tarot cards.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 03:27:01 am »
Quote from: Jewitch;66176
Third, I got the Rider-Waite set thinking that maybe if I just got something basic they would work better for me. For some reason I couldn't connect to these at all. Except one card. My Chariot card had literally been following me around wherever I go. I would find it outside on the ground at the front door, in my car, in the laundry room. On my desk. Finally I stuck it to the wall in my bedroom where it has stayed put. (However this is behind the fact)

Forth, I purchased a Necronomicon set. I put it somewhere I walk passed many times a day hoping it would help us to bond but I haven't even opened them up yet. I guess I am just nervous these won't work either.

Now has anyone had any similar experience or have any idea why this would happen? Thanks

I got the Rider-Waite at first and was instantly frustrated with it. I kept trying for a while and then gave up. A friend showed me an oracle deck (Druid Animal Oracle) and the symbolism connected with me, so I got that and did some work with it for a while. That was a good introduction. Because I loved the artwork so much, I went on to get the DruidCraft tarot, and it really clicked with me. The artwork helps, but the symbolism is perfect too. The cards that most confused me are often replaced with ones that make more sense, archetypally - the Judgement card is now Rebirth and draws on British and Irish myths, for example. I definitely recommend trying a lot of types of decks, including oracle decks. There will be one out there that works for you. (My friend has a deck review site and I can't currently remember the address. I'll find out and post it!)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Dashifen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://dashifen.com
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:38 am »
Now has anyone had any similar experience or have any idea why this would happen? Thanks

Across my reading time, I've purchased probably in the neighborhood of 20ish decks.  No where near what a collector would grab, but all of them were intended to be working decks.  Nothing clicked, for me, but I was looking mostly at fairly common and somewhat vanilla decks (cat people, dragons, fairies, Rider-Waite, etc.) and the traditional stuff rarely works for me.

Then I started looking at the darker ones (Vertigo, Deviant Moon, Archeon) or ones that are more like artwork (Shadowscapes!!) and those seemed to work.  Most of these (except the Vertigo and, to a lesser extent, the Deviant Moon) are often still R-W style decks with fairly traditional symbols, but they're presented in such a way that speaks to me as something of a left-hand pather.  

Lizzie's Logic is a good site.  She reviews decks, but even better, she gets permission from the publishers to post full scans of the entire deck online, too.  You can find those here.  This is handy to get a solid look at the cards before you buy them. She does use Blogger, though, so some of the posts from her blog end up in her albums, too, but it's fairly easy to see what's going on.

Nomadic Spirit

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:01 am »
I have had about three or four tarot card decks in the past 10 years.

First were the fairy tarot cards. I did a few readings with those but they just didn't feel right.

Second, I got a color your own set thinking that I just needed a different way to connect to my cards. These felt even more off.

Third, I got the Rider-Waite set thinking that maybe if I just got something basic they would work better for me. For some reason I couldn't connect to these at all. Except one card. My Chariot card had literally been following me around wherever I go. I would find it outside on the ground at the front door, in my car, in the laundry room. On my desk. Finally I stuck it to the wall in my bedroom where it has stayed put. (However this is behind the fact)

Forth, I purchased a Necronomicon set. I put it somewhere I walk passed many times a day hoping it would help us to bond but I haven't even opened them up yet. I guess I am just nervous these won't work either.

I have many different relationships with my varying Tarot decks. My traditional Rider-Waite deck is like home to me. An old faithful as I call them. I have a different vibe with each deck. I tend to be drawn to my Shadowscape deck when I want to connect to "lighter" spirits and energies that are around me. If I want to commune with ancestors or certain spiritual figures, I tend to lean toward my Deviant Moon deck. Sometimes it is just a hit and miss to whoever may be willing to talk to me that day or night. Sometimes my mini-Dragons deck like to light the way for me to let me know if I need a head's up for an important or seemingly insignificant issue at the time. Now, my Crowley-Thoth deck, we've yet to bond honestly. It all comes in time, however, I have seen. Just like with human acquaintanceship, friendships, and relationships in general, different decks seem to communicate with you better on different conversations about different topics. They all have unique personalities...some you click with immediately and bond rather quickly and others it may be a give and take relationship. Have you ever tried meditating specifically with an individual card and connecting to what it may be telling you? I've found (through my experiences at least) that the cards tend to work with you when you build a relationship with them, just as you would a new friend (something I plan on touching base on in an article on my blog soon).

OceanPhoenix

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Problems with Tarot cards.
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:48 am »

First were the fairy tarot cards. I did a few readings with those but they just didn't feel right.

Second, I got a color your own set thinking that I just needed a different way to connect to my cards. These felt even more off.

For me, I just have to get used to a deck before I can really feel it, which I do by simply playing with the cards, admiring the artwork, contemplating what I get from them, and simply just practicing spreads. This could take any amount of time. Usually you will find a deck you like more than others. I LOVE my mermaid deck. If you are having trouble with a deck, why not draw up your own instead of just a color your own deck? You can put anything you want on them. Doesn't even have to be typical wands, swords, cups, and pentacles/coins.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 01:07:27 am »
Quote from: Dashifen;67979
Across my reading time, I've purchased probably in the neighborhood of 20ish decks.  No where near what a collector would grab, but all of them were intended to be working decks.  Nothing clicked, for me, but I was looking mostly at fairly common and somewhat vanilla decks (cat people, dragons, fairies, Rider-Waite, etc.) and the traditional stuff rarely works for me.

Then I started looking at the darker ones (Vertigo, Deviant Moon, Archeon) or ones that are more like artwork (Shadowscapes!!) and those seemed to work.  Most of these (except the Vertigo and, to a lesser extent, the Deviant Moon) are often still R-W style decks with fairly traditional symbols, but they're presented in such a way that speaks to me as something of a left-hand pather.  

Lizzie's Logic is a good site.  She reviews decks, but even better, she gets permission from the publishers to post full scans of the entire deck online, too.  You can find those here.  This is handy to get a solid look at the cards before you buy them. She does use Blogger, though, so some of the posts from her blog end up in her albums, too, but it's fairly easy to see what's going on.

I agree with this post. I wonder if you've found a deck by now, but if not then this post is good advice.

I have had a couple dozen decks, all of which I have been able to use and get accurate results. But only one have I really been "drawn into." It will be worth your time to look at the artwork of as many different types of decks as you can (including non-traditional decks such as oracles) until one draws you into a somewhat trance-like state. That's the one that calls to you.

I can't guarantee your 'calling' sign will be like mine (the trance), but it will be pretty obvious.

If you haven't been to http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/, you should. There are hundreds upon hundreds of decks, reviews, and sample art scans from each one. It's a good starting place if you're looking for an art-style that speaks to you. :)

And just be patient. The deck you need will often find its way to you, even if you're not looking. Just ask for it to make itself known to you.

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 10:10:39 am »

I haven't really got much to offer in the way of advise but just wanted to let you know your not alone. I am currently on my 5th or 6th deck and am still struggling to get to grips with it. I love Tarot and I am happy collecting decks but am beginning to think that maybe it just isn't for me.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:59 pm »

I did a blog post the other day about how many decks I've gone through. You're not the only one.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 08:40:04 pm »
Except one card. My Chariot card had literally been following me around wherever I go. I would find it outside on the ground at the front door, in my car, in the laundry room. On my desk. Finally I stuck it to the wall in my bedroom where it has stayed put. (However this is behind the fact)

Since The Chariot has been dogging you, you might take a look at the Morgan-Greer deck. It has The Chariot on the box. Could be a sign (and it is one of the most accessible and highly-regarded Rider-Waite clones.
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

Tags: