Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Pendulums: hot or not?  (Read 4345 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Pendulums: hot or not?
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:21:12 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a pendulum (mostly because the store in the mall has some nifty ones for sale), but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. So: anyone here work with pendulums?

Do you have a preferred material?

Bought, found, or handmade?

What do you use your pendulum for? What do pendulums not work well for? Has anyone tried using a pendulum and didn't like it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: Pendulums: hot or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:12:02 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a pendulum (mostly because the store in the mall has some nifty ones for sale), but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. So: anyone here work with pendulums?

What do you use your pendulum for? What do pendulums not work well for? Has anyone tried using a pendulum and didn't like it?
I have found that I influence the pendulum. I always get the answer I think it should be so I don’t use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:30:04 pm »

I've used them for several years as a tool for spirit communication. It's not my first choice, but it's handy if a) I'm having trouble making contact in other ways and b) if there's someone else present who can't otherwise hear/see/sense spirits.  They don't work so well for divination for me, so I usually stick to scrying and cards for that.

As with most things, I have a preference for handmade and have created several pendulums over the years. For materials, silver, glass, and crystal combinations are my personal favorites.  The picture below is the one that I use the most often.  It's not the clearest image - the large round bead is agate, the smaller round beads are amber, and the odd shaped bead is goldstone glass.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 12:16:53 am »

the odd shaped bead is goldstone glass.

That shape is a merkaba. They're very cool. Said to be excellent for healing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 03:13:33 am »

Pendulums were my "... I BELIEVE" moment back in 2003 and my gateway into occult things. That said, while I think they're cool and interesting as a diagnostic tool/assessing an energetic field, I don't think they're great for divination. I find mind tends to tell me what I want to hear rather than the truth.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:22:05 am »

I've always had pretty good results with a pendulum, mainly for simple yes/no questions and for locating lost items (using a map of the area where it is likely lost, hand drawn if necessary). I don't use anything fancy. A weight on the end of a string works for me.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 12:58:49 pm »

That shape is a merkaba.

Thank you for that, because I couldn't recall the word and 'double pyramid thingy' wasn't getting good search results.  Yay for brain fog.  ::)

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 02:30:59 pm »

In my training, they were the first divination method we learned, partly because they're easy, and because they help you learn how to form useful questions for divination (really handy skill!)

My usual one when I have one set up is a horse chestnut tied to hang evenly with string. (Or you can put a hole through the center and thread a string, if you have a tool that will l do that.) As you can tell by that first sentence, I don't have one set up at the moment.

I ask a new one to show me yes, show me no, and show me maybe and show me 'can't answer' which is handy thing to identify malformed questions.

One trick I learned there is using maps, where you do a sort of fan pattern (or you can do a circular one, with the same thing represented on opposite rays) with different things, so if you wanted a pendulum to help you choose what to write on a given day, one ray might say "Book", one might say "blog post", one might say "poem" or whatever. )
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 06:49:25 pm »
they're cool and interesting as a diagnostic tool/assessing an energetic field,

That's a use I hadn't thought of. How do you use one to do this?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »
One trick I learned there is using maps, where you do a sort of fan pattern (or you can do a circular one, with the same thing represented on opposite rays) with different things, so if you wanted a pendulum to help you choose what to write on a given day, one ray might say "Book", one might say "blog post", one might say "poem" or whatever. )

I was wondering if this was possible but forgot to put it in the OP. Also I can see how having a "can't answer" response would be very helpful.

Does anyone do anything to magically 'activate' a pendulum, or do you just pick up and use?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

keen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • rotwork
  • Religion: fringe devotional polytheism, animism, spirit-working
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 02:55:08 am »

There's something to be said for a method of divination that is specifically designed to answer yes/no type questions. There have been many times where I wished I had one (but don't do coin tosses); to use on its own or with a larger divination card spread.

I had one once, but it had something really weird going on with it energetically; it was a gorgeous piece made from stones, but I got it as part of an online secret santa and never met the person who gave it to me. The pendulum started off giving "sassy" answers for a while, which was fun, before getting straight up, er... confrontational, I'll say. I got rid of it.

I'd like another one, though. I'll probably make one myself this time; it really doesn't require anything fancy.
rotwork: on devotion to lesser-known and un-known gods, transplanting genus loci, art, and modernity

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 04:38:05 pm »
That's a use I hadn't thought of. How do you use one to do this?

Guhhh okay so this is something I don't usually do myself and haven't done in quite some time, but this was the thing that got me to believe in magic 15 years ago.

My cousin is a holistic healer/massage therapist, and she demonstrated pendulums for me by scanning my back with one. She held the pendulum over me, and started it spinning clockwise, and explained that where it reversed its swing was where there was an energy blockage, physical pain, or something of that nature. After a few minutes, she stopped and placed her finger right on the most severe curvature of my spine (I have scoliosis, but it isn't visible if I'm laying down and clothed, which I was) and asked what was wrong there.

Apparently, the pendulum had begun to rapidly and wildly swing counter-clockwise at the lower part of my spine.

Personally, when I was feeling funky but didn't know the reason, I used to lay on my back and use the pendulum to identify which of my chakras needed a little love. I've since learned to assess them without that, so your mileage may vary.

But the basic idea is that you spin it one way, and scan it over your body/energy field, and it'll go the other way if something is wrong or off. Could probably use it to ID funky energies in a house or room that way, but I haven't tried that myself.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 06:43:49 pm »

I do like a pendulum. I use them for mapping energy flows around ancient sites as well as for yes/no questions.

I have some fancy crystal ones I've acquired but I'm more likely to take a ring off my finger and tie it to a hair from my head. Much more convenient and works just as well

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 04:50:32 pm »

Pendulums are my quick and dirty always option.  I always have one on me because it's small and discreet, and usually works well in a pinch.  I use mine for Yes/No type stuff, but I agree with Uneryx, in that I use it for assessing energy fields most often.  This still subscribes to my swings for Yes or No, but the degree of the swing basically indicates how the energy is, however I set it when I pose the query. 

If I'm choosing between a few stones, which one has the most positive purpose for me?  And then note which one gives the most vigorous Yes swing.  That's the one that identifies most strongly with what I just asked.

Ditto with, "which one of you lot thinks you can do the most good in my day, because I'm NOT carrying a small rock quarry's worth of amethyst in my pockets... you all will be falling out everywhere and that will be too much."  And whoever gives the most Yes swing, there we go. 

It's worked for me for years, and I have a MASSIVE collection of pendulums I've acquired (although most of them are underused, but I'm so attached to them... yeah).  For three years, a lapis pendulum was my Daily Carry.  When she broke (the chain peg came unglued from the stone), I retired her (though she hangs out on the bedside altar) and picked up a clear quartz pendulum, which has been my Daily Carry for the last year and a half almost.

I have bought all of mine except my first one.  My first one was given to me, and I could NOT get the energy on it to play nice.  It was squirrelly and angry, and I retired it pretty quickly.  All of mine have been stone, which is my preferred medium. 

This makes me want to go find ALL the other pendulums... Most of them should be upstairs in the stone storage boxes, somewhere...
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 08:22:21 pm »
This makes me want to go find ALL the other pendulums... Most of them should be upstairs in the stone storage boxes, somewhere...

That sounds like it would make a cool wall display!

So, today I got the pendulum I had my eye on - an onyx cube, the box says it is for "advanced" users but that sounds like marketing copy. It was the only one on the whole shelf that I felt any energy in, so whatever.

And I just did the yes/no/maybe/can't answer thing that Jenett described above ... and it worked. Right away. And the responses were way more distinct than I expected. It was a little creepy to be honest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: