Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Peculiarities when you use Tarot/oracle cards  (Read 7451 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Peculiarities when you use Tarot/oracle cards
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:26:26 pm »
Hey all. I have really, really gotten into Tarot the past couple of days. I'm using my Hanson-Roberts deck, which my parents gave me (best stocking stuffer EVER!). Even within just this past couple of days, I've noticed my reading seems to be forming a "style." And I am gaining more personal interpretations of some things. So I'd like to hear about similar experiences from others.

Since all my divination is a conscious effort to ask the counsel or opinion of either Sarasvati (using oracle cards, tarot, or a pendulum) or Loki (runes), I think I'm having to work out some kinks in using them. Like, I'll draw a card and immediately get a strong nudge that "No, put it back. That's the wrong one." This morning, Sarasvati INSISTED that the last card in the spread was The High Priestess. So I often end up shuffling cards back in and redrawing, as odd as that seems.

Certain cards have also formed definite meanings in my head. The High Priestess trump is a very positive card for me. It is an auspicious omen, and also a symbol of my ideals and values. When Sarasvati demanded that it be placed as the last card in the spread - the outcome - I knew that was an excellent sign. The Star trump is a symbol of Sarasvati's influence in my life. It keeps showing up in spreads indicating a source of support and guidance. Finally, my significator is the Page of Cups; it works better than using the traditional correspondence, which would be either the Queen of Wands or the Queen of Pentacles.

So...this is just what is forming in my practice. I'd love to hear from others.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
Re: Peculiarities when you use Tarot/oracle cards
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:43:06 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;149213

The Queen of Wands always represents myself. I tend to go through cycles with other cards: The Fool, the Empress, the High Prietess - currently stuck on the Seven of Wands and the Hanged Man together.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:56:56 am »
Hey all. I have really, really gotten into Tarot the past couple of days. I'm using my Hanson-Roberts deck, which my parents gave me (best stocking stuffer EVER!). Even within just this past couple of days, I've noticed my reading seems to be forming a "style." And I am gaining more personal interpretations of some things. So I'd like to hear about similar experiences from others.

Since all my divination is a conscious effort to ask the counsel or opinion of either Sarasvati (using oracle cards, tarot, or a pendulum) or Loki (runes), I think I'm having to work out some kinks in using them. Like, I'll draw a card and immediately get a strong nudge that "No, put it back. That's the wrong one." This morning, Sarasvati INSISTED that the last card in the spread was The High Priestess. So I often end up shuffling cards back in and redrawing, as odd as that seems.

Certain cards have also formed definite meanings in my head. The High Priestess trump is a very positive card for me. It is an auspicious omen, and also a symbol of my ideals and values. When Sarasvati demanded that it be placed as the last card in the spread - the outcome - I knew that was an excellent sign. The Star trump is a symbol of Sarasvati's influence in my life. It keeps showing up in spreads indicating a source of support and guidance. Finally, my significator is the Page of Cups; it works better than using the traditional correspondence, which would be either the Queen of Wands or the Queen of Pentacles.

Everyone has different experiences with cards that effect their interpretations. My decks have personalities. Sometimes I can go a long time and not even think of tarot and I'll get a "tug" that will get stronger until it physically irritates me and will not go away until I pick up the deck and do a reading. Now that I have three tarot decks and four oracle decks I get frequent energy pinches.

My latest deck is my round mandala cards and I asked them if I should honor a goddess. They told me to look within and raise my own energy to create my own reality and find truth. When I asked my Paulina tarot cards if I should take up witchcraft I was told no.

Several months ago every reading, no matter the deck, warned of an obstruction to my plans. My entire family got sick with the worst flu in years. My youngest son missed a week of school. I was the last one infected and it hit me the hardest.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:58 am »
Quote from: Freesia;149257
My decks have personalities.

I've heard that, and my deck actually seems to be somewhat...like a kid with ADHD? She's very easily confused/distracted and unless I have Sarasvati there telling me to put a card back and redraw, she just loses the plot in a larger spread, and the reading comes out kind of repetitive or strained. It's actually really endearing.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 04:52:10 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;149267
I've heard that, and my deck actually seems to be somewhat...like a kid with ADHD? She's very easily confused/distracted and unless I have Sarasvati there telling me to put a card back and redraw, she just loses the plot in a larger spread, and the reading comes out kind of repetitive or strained. It's actually really endearing.

You may need to try a different card deck or divination system. Since you are working with an entity you could use a pendulum or Ouija.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »
Quote from: Freesia;149311
You may need to try a different card deck or divination system. Since you are working with an entity you could use a pendulum or Ouija.

Yes, I do use a pendulum at times. I have a very nice one I made myself from a quartz point and a pewter dragon charm. I'm looking for another Tarot deck, but I can't find one that seems to call to me. And honestly, I find my deck's tendency to get confused and give weird readings charming and cute. Like I said, she reminds me of a kid with ADHD. Not always very helpful, but fun as hell to play with! (I say this as an adult with ADHD who was once a very charming little girl with ADHD. All my mother's twenty-something students loved to play with me!)

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;149316
Yes, I do use a pendulum at times. I have a very nice one I made myself from a quartz point and a pewter dragon charm. I'm looking for another Tarot deck, but I can't find one that seems to call to me. And honestly, I find my deck's tendency to get confused and give weird readings charming and cute. Like I said, she reminds me of a kid with ADHD. Not always very helpful, but fun as hell to play with! (I say this as an adult with ADHD who was once a very charming little girl with ADHD. All my mother's twenty-something students loved to play with me!)

I wrote a long reply yesterday, but it must have gotten lost in the etherwaves. I was on a Tarot collecting spree a few months back. I have three decks and I like them all to a certain degree. I don't have any training in card interpretation so I go with the companion book or I use other cards for clarity. I don't really understand specific energy within decks and tapping into metaphysics or anything like that. I don't read for others mainly because I wont feel obligated to explain where the answers come from.  My readings become lengthy so I journal the question and document the spread. I've heard of using stones for "bone readings," but I haven't done that.

I just ordered the Heart of Faerie Oracle from Amazon along with a bunch of books. So here I go again.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:44:03 am »
Quote from: Freesia;149457
I wrote a long reply yesterday, but it must have gotten lost in the etherwaves. I was on a Tarot collecting spree a few months back. I have three decks and I like them all to a certain degree. I don't have any training in card interpretation so I go with the companion book or I use other cards for clarity. I don't really understand specific energy within decks and tapping into metaphysics or anything like that. I don't read for others mainly because I wont feel obligated to explain where the answers come from.  My readings become lengthy so I journal the question and document the spread. I've heard of using stones for "bone readings," but I haven't done that.

I just ordered the Heart of Faerie Oracle from Amazon along with a bunch of books. So here I go again.

LOL....yeah, I go by the guidebooks too! And honestly, I just found a deck that might suit me. The Fenestra Tarot I am actually quite drawn to the artwork; it's very art-deco. And they're watercolors. Love watercolors!

I do have The Enchanted Oracle with artwork by Jessica Galbraith. That was interesting. I remember seeing it in the store and going, "oh...this is mine." Just like that. Not "I must have it" but a recognition that it belonged to me. Still, I've never been able to do spreads with it. I usually just draw a card, and then maybe one or another for clarification.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »

I'm the other way - if I put cards back, it means I'm just dicking around with myself and trying to get the answer I want instead of the one that's actually true. But I don't read with a formal connection to any deity. I have asked for advice from deities before and used the tarot as a method from which to figure out the answer, but even then I just use whatever cards are chosen by chance.

I don't use significators in the sense that I choose a card for myself or my querant - that one too is just a random draw. I used to use them, but I just fell into the habit of not doing so somewhere along the way. They certainly can be useful though! I have a dear friend who used the Knight of Cups as his for years and years, until we ritually sacrificed it at a crossroads in the middle of the night. ...which caused interesting results, as you might imagine.

I don't think I'm very peculiar in my methods overall, though. I have loads of decks like most enthusiasts, and find they do have different 'flavours.' I have developed personal associations with certain cards over time and have a few consistent favourites - when looking at a deck the first thing I do is check the Magician and Hanged Man cards. I find my readings are part intuition and part book learning. Pretty average, I think.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 12:50:26 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;149570

I don't think I'm very peculiar in my methods overall, though. I have loads of decks like most enthusiasts, and find they do have different 'flavours.' I have developed personal associations with certain cards over time and have a few consistent favourites - when looking at a deck the first thing I do is check the Magician and Hanged Man cards. I find my readings are part intuition and part book learning. Pretty average, I think.

I have refused to order decks based on the Magician or Devil. I like Tarot, but I don't try to twist it to make it friendlier. I've seen New Agers on their youtube accounts try to do "positive life affirmation" readings with the Crowley's Thoth. That's not going to happen with those cards.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 01:44:09 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;149570
I don't use significators in the sense that I choose a card for myself or my querant - that one too is just a random draw. I used to use them, but I just fell into the habit of not doing so somewhere along the way.

I kept forgetting to select them before laying out the cards, so I experimented: instead of starting over from scratch, I just let the first card be a random querent card, so it was an 11-card rather than 10-card Celtic Cross. It worked so very well the first time that I kept doing it for the rest of the weekend (this was at an SFF con, at which I was supplementing my even-more-limited-than-usual funds by doing readings while at the same time 'test-driving' whether I'd be able to handle the demands of reading professionally); it worked so well over that weekend that it's what I did the whole time I was pro. I don't think I've selected a significator since.

While this was quite unusual at the time, since then I've run into it a lot - I suspect that several people, including myself, independently and coincidentally took up this approach at about the same time.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 01:15:52 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;149588
I kept forgetting to select them before laying out the cards, so I experimented: instead of starting over from scratch, I just let the first card be a random querent card, so it was an 11-card rather than 10-card Celtic Cross. It worked so very well the first time that I kept doing it for the rest of the weekend (this was at an SFF con, at which I was supplementing my even-more-limited-than-usual funds by doing readings while at the same time 'test-driving' whether I'd be able to handle the demands of reading professionally); it worked so well over that weekend that it's what I did the whole time I was pro. I don't think I've selected a significator since.

While this was quite unusual at the time, since then I've run into it a lot - I suspect that several people, including myself, independently and coincidentally took up this approach at about the same time.

Sunflower

The same brain wave, woo! I find especially if you're reading for someone you don't know, chance have a better idea of knowing what suits them than you do consciously.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 06:57:33 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;149630
The same brain wave, woo! I find especially if you're reading for someone you don't know, chance have a better idea of knowing what suits them than you do consciously.

Yeah, 'gender-age-coloring' (the typical trait-set for choosing a significator from the court cards, which is how I originally learned it) is, IMO, hopelessly inadequate. (Also usually sexist, cissexist, binarist, sometimes homophobic, ageist, and racist - but tarot as a whole has issues with those; changing methodology w/r/t significators doesn't fix it. It does help shift it from being centred on kyriarchic assumptions, though.)

I fancy this is why I found a random-significator so much more effective.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 11:56:29 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;149630

I do this, too - so glad I'm not alone!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 01:56:00 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;149703
Yeah, 'gender-age-coloring' (the typical trait-set for choosing a significator from the court cards, which is how I originally learned it) is, IMO, hopelessly inadequate. (Also usually sexist, cissexist, binarist, sometimes homophobic, ageist, and racist - but tarot as a whole has issues with those; changing methodology w/r/t significators doesn't fix it. It does help shift it from being centred on kyriarchic assumptions, though.)

I fancy this is why I found a random-significator so much more effective.

Sunflower

I pick significators based on the meaning of the card. I'm a Page of Cups, not a Queen of Wands. My BFF is a Knight of Wands (she would also be a Queen of Wands, according to standard methodology). My mom is a Queen of Pentacles (how could she be anything else but a friggin' Queen of Pentacles???) not a Queen of Swords. If I did a reading for my sister, there's NO WAY she'd be a Queen of Cups, despite her fair skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes. She's definitely a Swords gal.

Tags: