collapse

Author Topic: Oracle cards  (Read 1642 times)

Myst Moonlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Oracle cards
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:20:16 am »
The form of divination I prefer to use are thes Oracle cards based on the House of Night book series. Does anyone else use them?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Oracle cards
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:38:58 am »
Quote from: Myst Moonlight;142468
The form of divination I prefer to use are thes Oracle cards based on the House of Night book series. Does anyone else use them?

I've never actually seen those before! What do you like about them?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

OfThespiae

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oddmodout.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:10:30 pm »

I gotta admit, I don't have the highest opinion of that series, especially its ideas about Nyx.  I am glad to see that they decided against the working title for that deck (last I had seen before just now, it was still in the production stages and they were going to call it "Oracle of Nyx", which was something that actually existed in Megara in ancient Greece), and they've decided to go with the somewhat less-appropriative "Wisdom of the House of Night".

Looking at the Amazon preview and customer images from the deck, it looks like some thought went into it, and the few sample cards that users have uploaded images of are beautiful, but honestly?  I gotta say I've got mixed feelings on the mix of influences that went into the deck.  While I get that there are people who've been using Norse/Germanic runes, or the I Ching for decades, I'd rather those systems were practised by people who've actually taken the time to engage the cultures they come from, and not just, do little more than say, read a book of Confucian quotes and watch a National Geographic special whilst eating some Chinese take-away before taking up reading I Ching.

...but then, that's a big problem the whole pagan community has, and not the Mother and Daughter Cast.

Myst Moonlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
Quote from: OfThespiae;142484
I gotta admit, I don't have the highest opinion of that series, especially its ideas about Nyx.  I am glad to see that they decided against the working title for that deck (last I had seen before just now, it was still in the production stages and they were going to call it "Oracle of Nyx", which was something that actually existed in Megara in ancient Greece), and they've decided to go with the somewhat less-appropriative "Wisdom of the House of Night".

Looking at the Amazon preview and customer images from the deck, it looks like some thought went into it, and the few sample cards that users have uploaded images of are beautiful, but honestly?  I gotta say I've got mixed feelings on the mix of influences that went into the deck.  While I get that there are people who've been using Norse/Germanic runes, or the I Ching for decades, I'd rather those systems were practised by people who've actually taken the time to engage the cultures they come from, and not just, do little more than say, read a book of Confucian quotes and watch a National Geographic special whilst eating some Chinese take-away before taking up reading I Ching.

...but then, that's a big problem the whole pagan community has, and not the Mother and Daughter Cast.

first of all I apologise for not posting sooner.
Anyway the house of night series resonates with me, it was these books that first gave me an understand of how more then one religeon can be right. The books gave me knowledge of how a proper pagan religeon should be, and they increased my faith.

So far any reading ive done with the cards has been acurate

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:11:18 am »

That was the first oracle deck that I bought and to be honest I had no idea they were from a book series. I saw them on a youtube review and liked that pictures. I wasn't thinking in terms of energy or mythology I only wanted something to play with. I will admit that the readings were consistent with my tarot readings from that time. After getting them I went on a crazy card buying spree and lost focus on the point of card reading.

Tags: