Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Non-Tarot, non-Oracle card decks  (Read 2390 times)

Fleur

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Non-Tarot, non-Oracle card decks
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:17:31 am »
Are there any card decks you can use to answer questions like:

- Yes/No/Maybe
- Time frames (soon, very soon, in the spring, after a festival/solstice, etc)
- locations (house, city, woods, etc)

I'm interesting in learning to read some non-conventional, straightforward, sort of practical card decks. There's much more potential for miscommunication with these kinds of issues in the tarot, IMO, so if there are any other card divination systems out there I would love to hear about them.

Ivory Roe

• View Profile
Re: Non-Tarot, non-Oracle card decks
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 01:31:49 pm »
Quote from: Draupadi;181233

- Yes/No/Maybe

I'm interesting in learning to read some non-conventional, straightforward, sort of practical card decks. There's much more potential for miscommunication with these kinds of issues in the tarot, IMO, so if there are any other card divination systems out there I would love to hear about them.

honestly most card systems are very vague and give what could be multiple answers to a single question, i honestly havent heard of on that doesnt. however. lenormand card are non-controversial and have only 32 cards, which limits the haziness of any answers i would definitely suggest those if you have your hear set on cards.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:13:35 pm »

- Yes/No/Maybe

There are many systems of cartomancy using regular playing cards, but for practical questions, I think Lenormand cards are best. They're very straightforward and pragmatic, and can address all the types of questions you listed.

Other similar/related systems are the various sibilla cards, kipper cards, the unfortunately named Gypsy witch cards and the Russian Gypsy fortune telling cards, the Whitman cards, and the much more obscure Zauberkarten.

I've been reading Lenormand cards for years, and I love them. (I don't read tarot.) I've recently gotten interested in their origin and history and other related decks, so this is something I'm actively studying right now.  Let me know if you want more info.  I think I already posted info on Lenormand in another thread a few months ago, but I can repost that info, if you can't find it.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:15:04 pm »
Quote from: Ivory Roe;181321
honestly most card systems are very vague and give what could be multiple answers to a single question, i honestly havent heard of on that doesnt. however. lenormand card are non-controversial and have only 32 cards, which limits the haziness of any answers i would definitely suggest those if you have your hear set on cards.

Lenormand decks have 36 cards.  :-)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RedFawx33

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 09:39:30 pm »

I have wondered this myself, and after a bit of research on Tarot and Lenormand decks, I decided to make my own deck type loosely based off of both. 60 cards, with 10 cards per block, each block having its own inherent alignment. I hesitate to say what cards I'm using for this, as it may seem a little too unconventional. (I'm using cards from a game called "Magic The Gathering")

The point of this is, cartomancy should be personal, as with any aspect of magic or divination. Some people can buy a premade deck that follows a set structure and it work wonderfully. Others, like me, need something custom. Even in standard Tarot, there are blank card sets that you can get so you can make your own art for them.

Don't feel bad or outcasted for making something new or different. If you have done very much looking at all at Oracle decks, you will see a vast list of differences between them and other forms of cartomancy. Being unique isn't wrong. But not putting thought and effort into things is.

Perhaps taking the time to make a whole new structure is what you may need. That's up to you.

Be warned though, this process takes an enormous amount of time, effort, and care to make it work well. It's an investment of time and willpower. But the results can be worth it.

Good battle, and blessed be.
"Ah\'Roun, Tara, Kein, Mi-El..."
-Dahlan Meditation Chant

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:27:43 am »
Quote from: RedFawx33;181800
I have wondered this myself, and after a bit of research on Tarot and Lenormand decks, I decided to make my own deck type loosely based off of both. 60 cards, with 10 cards per block, each block having its own inherent alignment. I hesitate to say what cards I'm using for this, as it may seem a little too unconventional. (I'm using cards from a game called "Magic The Gathering")

The point of this is, cartomancy should be personal, as with any aspect of magic or divination. Some people can buy a premade deck that follows a set structure and it work wonderfully. Others, like me, need something custom. Even in standard Tarot, there are blank card sets that you can get so you can make your own art for them.

Don't feel bad or outcasted for making something new or different. If you have done very much looking at all at Oracle decks, you will see a vast list of differences between them and other forms of cartomancy. Being unique isn't wrong. But not putting thought and effort into things is.

Perhaps taking the time to make a whole new structure is what you may need. That's up to you.

Be warned though, this process takes an enormous amount of time, effort, and care to make it work well. It's an investment of time and willpower. But the results can be worth it.

Good battle, and blessed be.

I love this!  I may have to go through my collected cards (I have quite a few different CCG cards from a handful of games).  I do love some of the art and many of them have really great quotes as well...definitely something to consider.  And I can see myself having a larger pool of cards, and then picking only certain ones at times to draw from.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

RedFawx33

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 09:22:45 am »
Quote from: Kylara;181812
I love this!  I may have to go through my collected cards (I have quite a few different CCG cards from a handful of games).  I do love some of the art and many of them have really great quotes as well...definitely something to consider.  And I can see myself having a larger pool of cards, and then picking only certain ones at times to draw from.

Glad you like this! It's definitely not easy to get it going, though. The structure is the hardest part. Thankfully, Magic The Gathering has a well established alignment system for the different colors and types of cards. And having an extra mind to bounce ideas off of is a big help. I'm working very closely with my wife on this project. She's been a Tarot reader for years, and has dabbled in Lenormand decks a little, so her knowledge of that is a huge help. Me, on the other side of this, can remember Magic cards that I used in highschool better than I can tell you what I ate yesterday.

Hooray for balance!
"Ah\'Roun, Tara, Kein, Mi-El..."
-Dahlan Meditation Chant

Tags: