Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Listing Divination as a Hobby on LinkedIn  (Read 1814 times)

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Listing Divination as a Hobby on LinkedIn
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:11:00 am »
I think I already know the answer to this, but....is it a bad idea to put tarot as a hobby on job hunting social media?

I'm hunting for an office job. The hobby section is at the bottom of my profile. The reason I'd want to do this is that I have some connections that are tarot readers, and that's good because they're local. One day I'd like to do divination for a living, but for now it's a corporate job for me.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Listing Divination as a Hobby on LinkedIn
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:41:34 am »
Quote from: Izzie414;151901
I'm hunting for an office job. The hobby section is at the bottom of my profile. The reason I'd want to do this is that I have some connections that are tarot readers, and that's good because they're local. One day I'd like to do divination for a living, but for now it's a corporate job for me.

The general advice on *any* kind of hobby is that it's complicated to list it on professional material. (Just because LinkedIn has a box doesn't mean you need to share it.)

In general, remember that people who read your LinkedIn and know you already know you (and you can reach out to them privately, if you want). Your profile is, by definition, going to get looked at by people who don't know you, and you want them to focus on your current job goals and relevant skills.

I do talk about some of my hobby interests in professional materials, but only when they actually have skills that are related to job things - so I say, f'instance "Hotel chair for interfaith religions conference [years whatever] - responsible for coordination of space, blah blah" or "Data management for creative project that has been running for 6 years, using a variety of collaborative tools including MediaWiki, GoogleDocs, and shared files."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:46:34 am by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:44:22 am »
I think I already know the answer to this, but....is it a bad idea to put tarot as a hobby on job hunting social media?

Interesting article to think more about. This guy basically summed up his World of Warcraft experience as good team skills and a beneficial understanding of motivational tactics for current technology. I've also heard of people getting hired after putting wow on their resume simply because the hiring manager played as well.

I guess the moral of the story is, how can you spin it? If you work in some form of HR or counseling, you could say it's helped you to understand symbolism and become more familiar with the subconscious mind. :)

http://m.kwch.com/why-i-put-world-of-warcraft-on-my-resume/26580098

Edit: because my phone puts words in my mouth. Blah autocorrect.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:26:12 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;151914
Interesting article to think more about. This guy basically summed up his World of Warcraft experience as good team skills and a beneficial understanding of motivational tactics for current technology. I've also heard of people getting hired after putting wow on their resume simply because the hiring manager played as well.

I guess the moral of the story is, how can you spin it? If you work in some form of HR or counseling, you could say it's helped you to understand symbolism and become more familiar with the subconscious mind. :)

http://m.kwch.com/why-i-put-world-of-warcraft-on-my-resume/26580098

Edit: because my phone puts words in my mouth. Blah autocorrect.

So, I can possibly spin it as "Tarot increases interpersonal communication skills, confidence, and problem solving which can be applied to the business environment.". Hmmmm...

I'll try and read the article @ lunchtime 😃

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;151919
So, I can possibly spin it as "Tarot increases interpersonal communication skills, confidence, and problem solving which can be applied to the business environment.". Hmmmm...

Yeah, that sounds pretty good, actually! :D
The only thing to watch out for, is religious discrimination...if you can hold out and find an environment where other religious ideas aren't suppressed, that would be great. When I lived in Mississippi, however, I might have hesitated to list it for fear of being bludgeoned with a bible. O.o

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 12:51:33 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;151922
Yeah, that sounds pretty good, actually! :D
The only thing to watch out for, is religious discrimination...if you can hold out and find an environment where other religious ideas aren't suppressed, that would be great. When I lived in Mississippi, however, I might have hesitated to list it for fear of being bludgeoned with a bible. O.o

I'm taking a chance in Texas...but it's not like the Bible Belt. I'll give it some thought.

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 01:16:31 pm »

If it were me, I'd probably leave it off of my LinkedIn profile (and/or resume) and let it come out naturally once I got hired if the environment in the office seemed receptive to it. This could be a knee jerk reaction from me since I grew up in the Bible Belt (and from what I understand, many areas of Texas are similar) and that sort of hobby would be considered unacceptable by many ("Satanic" even). Even in more generally accepting/progressive areas, you still never know the personal beliefs of your hiring manager/boss.

I know that I would never dream of even coming out as pagan at my job since even though I live in a strongly liberal city, my boss, who also owns the company, is a very conservative Christian and could fire me over it or lead to other discriminatory actions (sad, but not worth risking my paycheck over for now).

The question is ultimately how important is it to you to include it vs potentially losing a job offer. If you decide you'd rather not work for a company that would care, then that's valid too, just make sure you're willing to take the risk.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 01:21:16 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;151919

In general, it's good advice to tailor your resume to fit the job you're applying for. If you're applying somewhere that is "hip" or has a new-age vibe, this could make your resume stand out. However, if you're applying for something like an office job with a large company, I'd worry that it would sound unprofessional, depending on how you word it. Since you don't get to tailor your LinkedIn profile to the hiring manager looking at it, I'd leave it off; I don't have any hobbies on my LinkedIn.

The blog Ask A Manager has answered questions about hobbies on resumes, and in general her recommendations on writing/tweaking a resume are well worth reading.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 01:26:23 pm »
Quote from: Jack;151929
In general, it's good advice to tailor your resume to fit the job you're applying for. If you're applying somewhere that is "hip" or has a new-age vibe, this could make your resume stand out. However, if you're applying for something like an office job with a large company, I'd worry that it would sound unprofessional, depending on how you word it. Since you don't get to tailor your LinkedIn profile to the hiring manager looking at it, I'd leave it off; I don't have any hobbies on my LinkedIn.

The blog Ask A Manager has answered questions about hobbies on resumes, and in general her recommendations on writing/tweaking a resume are well worth reading.

I'll keep that in mind. I won't put tarot on my profile, but one day I will when my goal is to become a professional tarot reader 😄.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;151932
I'll keep that in mind. I won't put tarot on my profile, but one day I will when my goal is to become a professional tarot reader 😄.

XD Yes, applying for a job as a professional tarot reader is a perfect place to list your tarot reading experience.

My ex used to read in a new age store a couple of days a week. She got into it by practicing until she felt comfortable and then asking stores that had readers if they were looking to add people. Are you looking to do it locally?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:43:29 pm »
Quote from: Jack;151935
XD Yes, applying for a job as a professional tarot reader is a perfect place to list your tarot reading experience.

My ex used to read in a new age store a couple of days a week. She got into it by practicing until she felt comfortable and then asking stores that had readers if they were looking to add people. Are you looking to do it locally?

Yes, I think so. I think I know someone that might let me do readings once I get better at it.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:18:17 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;151936
Yes, I think so. I think I know someone that might let me do readings once I get better at it.

If you're going to read professionally, I do recommend reading Professional Tarot by Christine Jette if you can find a copy. My mom was a professional reader in her own store, and she found it a great resource. (Especially the stuff on handling problem clients. Because, yeah, very often people who get readings are in the middle of a life upheaval and it can get messy.)

Anyway, back to the original question... I'd leave the hobby section blank. I work in a weird industry where you pretty much know everyone casually, but even so I don't think my weirdness needs to be on an actual resume. XD

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 08:22:48 pm »

I personally would not, just because of how some people view it, and also because it's not at all relatable to what I plan on doing for my career.  It does depend on the type of field you're looking into.  If I were applying to a new age bookstore, an adult store, or some other kind of working environment that requires an open mind, I might list it because it shows a broad range of interests.  I might list it alongside my interest in criminal psychology, or American Sign Language.  It all depends on what you're applying for and who you're applying to!

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 05:52:04 am »

I personally would not and I live in the UK which tends to be a bit more laid back about things.

I keep my Linked In profile strictly professional. It lists my job history and professional qualifications only. I haven't found the lack of more personal information to be a bar to getting a new job. In fact I've just changed jobs myself using Linked In as a marketing tool.

I use Facebook for the personal stuff and make sure I have no work or professional connections as friends.

Tags: