collapse

Author Topic: Is it possible for psychics to use negative readings as a way for you to buy more?  (Read 2726 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Okay so it's easy to point out that a psychic who gets paid for their work and almost always gives positive outcome readings as con artists, but is it possible for con artist psychics to use negative readings as a way to wrap you around and get to buy more?
PrincessKLS

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: PrincessKLS;183354
Okay so it's easy to point out that a psychic who gets paid for their work and almost always gives positive outcome readings as con artists, but is it possible for con artist psychics to use negative readings as a way to wrap you around and get to buy more?

I would think this is quite possible.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;183357
I would think this is quite possible.

I've had some pretty rude readers before who were obviously being mean.
PrincessKLS

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: PrincessKLS;183359
I've had some pretty rude readers before who were obviously being mean.

I'm very picky as if I'm going to pay someone for divination, I want someone who will be helpful.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Quote from: PrincessKLS;183354

Fairly classic technique, actually.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Quote from: Allaya;183361
Fairly classic technique, actually.

Isn't that, like, the standard "psychic" scam?  "You have a curse on you, come back next week and I'll tell you what I've figured out about how to fix it"?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Quote from: Darkhawk;183365
Isn't that, like, the standard "psychic" scam?  "You have a curse on you, come back next week and I'll tell you what I've figured out about how to fix it"?

Wasn't that an episode of Leverage? I'm thinking...oh...season two?

Also, just as a general reply, to be entirely redundant, yes, that is completely and totally possible, and in fact common. However, sometimes psychics'll tell people stuff they don't want to hear because they think it'll be good for their customer. Whether the customer chooses to take that seriously or not is up to them.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Darkhawk;183365

Well this reader I found on Facebook didn't say that, but basically said someone I didn't know but would meet in 2016 may take me to court and she didn't know why.
PrincessKLS

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;183360
I'm very picky as if I'm going to pay someone for divination, I want someone who will be helpful.

But if someone who hasn't read for you before then you don't know if they are going to be nice or not.
PrincessKLS

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Quote from: PrincessKLS;183379
But if someone who hasn't read for you before then you don't know if they are going to be nice or not.

There is a such thing as a review. Maybe go read them, or if possible, talk to former and current clients of theirs? Arrange to meet beforehand in a non-business setting, just to talk and get a feel for how they are?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Jake57

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: HarpingHawke;183384
There is a such thing as a review. Maybe go read them, or if possible, talk to former and current clients of theirs? Arrange to meet beforehand in a non-business setting, just to talk and get a feel for how they are?

Any "legitimate" psychic will give you his or her rates up front, and will give you a reading without trying to persuade you to give them any more money than you already have agreed to pay.  Also, no honest psychic will tell you that you have a curse on you.  There are plenty of wonderful psychics around, you just have to be careful.

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Jake57;183510
Any "legitimate" psychic will give you his or her rates up front, and will give you a reading without trying to persuade you to give them any more money than you already have agreed to pay.  Also, no honest psychic will tell you that you have a curse on you.  There are plenty of wonderful psychics around, you just have to be careful.

Is telling someone they have a day in court coming up with someone you don't know in the same vein as saying you are cursed?
PrincessKLS

Tags: