Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Fairy Tale Themed Tarot Decks  (Read 2990 times)

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Fairy Tale Themed Tarot Decks
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:58:08 am »
I was wondering if anyone had worked with one, and had any thoughts about them.  

I've recently become interested in learning Tarot, and when I stumbled across the idea of decks based on fairy tales, I thought it was actually a clever idea.  Rather than memorizing the meanings of 78 different cards, I just have to remember stories, many of which I probably already know.  I'm hoping this will make the Tarot easier to learn because I've never worked with Tarot cards before.  Or do you think the fairy tales will only make the meanings unclear, or the cards harder to read?

And how well do you think knowledge will transfer?  What I mean by that is, if I learn with one of the sets of fairy tale Tarot cards, and later got myself a more standard Tarot deck, would I likely have to learn the cards all over again?  Or is that true of switching between any two decks?

I'm thinking of getting either the Fairy Tale Tarot or the Whimsical Tarot, probably depending more on which one I can get a hold of most easily and cheapest.

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Tale Themed Tarot Decks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:25:56 am »
Quote from: Katefox;5682

I've recently become interested in learning Tarot, and when I stumbled across the idea of decks based on fairy tales, I thought it was actually a clever idea.  Rather than memorizing the meanings of 78 different cards, I just have to remember stories, many of which I probably already know.  I'm hoping this will make the Tarot easier to learn because I've never worked with Tarot cards before.  Or do you think the fairy tales will only make the meanings unclear, or the cards harder to read?

And how well do you think knowledge will transfer?  What I mean by that is, if I learn with one of the sets of fairy tale Tarot cards, and later got myself a more standard Tarot deck, would I likely have to learn the cards all over again?  Or is that true of switching between any two decks?

I'm thinking of getting either the Fairy Tale Tarot or the Whimsical Tarot, probably depending more on which one I can get a hold of most easily and cheapest.

I have never used this type before but I love the art work on the Fairy Tale deck.

Arienwen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:31:35 pm »

The Whimsical one looks pretty cool actually!  My very first deck was The Arthurian Legends  deck.  I loved it.  The artwork was beautiful, it was easy to use as a first timer, and the myth explanations were excellent.
Spiritual Blog
Regular Blog Writing Blog
I\'m gonna survive, even if it kills me. :cool:

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:31:56 pm »

I found a copy of the Fairy Tale Tarot while I was out this afternoon, and actually I am quite pleased with it.  Not that I've done anything with it yet.  But it comes with a book that, along with explaining divinatory meanings, and some spreads, tells the fairy tales for each of the cards.  So if nothing else, I now have a book of fairy tales. :D

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:45:19 am »
Quote from: Katefox;5760
I found a copy of the Fairy Tale Tarot while I was out this afternoon, and actually I am quite pleased with it.  Not that I've done anything with it yet.  But it comes with a book that, along with explaining divinatory meanings, and some spreads, tells the fairy tales for each of the cards.  So if nothing else, I now have a book of fairy tales. :D

I have this deck also. It was my first deck. I like it very much. I even seen to have a "card" the princess of swords comes out in almost every reading I do for my self, no matter how I shuffle.

Katsura

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:20:30 pm »

Ooooh is it the one by Lisa Hunt? Because i have her Animal tarot, and i LOVE it! :) One of my favs, the illustrations are gorgeous and the readings are great! Let me know if you get the fairytale one and what you think of it because im tempted to get it myself :)

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:39 pm »
Quote from: Katsura;6634
Ooooh is it the one by Lisa Hunt? Because i have her Animal tarot, and i LOVE it! :) One of my favs, the illustrations are gorgeous and the readings are great! Let me know if you get the fairytale one and what you think of it because im tempted to get it myself :)

Yes, the one by Lisa Hunt, and I have it now because I found it in a bookstore earlier this week.  Right now I'm mostly just familiarising myself with the cards.  So, I pull a card, read it's fairy tale, and Lisa Hunt's meaning, and then spend some time looking at the card, and thinking about what I think the card and it's fairy tale mean.  I don't always agree with Ms. Hunt.  The art is definitely gorgeous; I feel like I ought be examining them under a magnifying glass to get all the details. :P

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:18:09 pm »
Quote from: Katefox;6695
Yes, the one by Lisa Hunt, and I have it now because I found it in a bookstore earlier this week.  Right now I'm mostly just familiarising myself with the cards.  So, I pull a card, read it's fairy tale, and Lisa Hunt's meaning, and then spend some time looking at the card, and thinking about what I think the card and it's fairy tale mean.  I don't always agree with Ms. Hunt.  The art is definitely gorgeous; I feel like I ought be examining them under a magnifying glass to get all the details. :P

Funnily enough, I have all of Lisa's decks except this one, and I totally get what you mean by all the small details. I spent more time than was necessary searching for the second cup in the Two of Cups in the Fantastical Creatures Tarot (which, btw, is a great deck for people who like mythological creatures, although I know some Pagans are amused/almost offended by the fact that there are some gods included in that mix. I don't mind, personally).

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:00:05 pm »
Quote from: Katefox;6695

This is an old thread, but I can't resist...I own Lisa Hunt's fairytale deck and LOVE it. I wish she had chosen a few different fairytales for certain cards but overall, it's marvelous and I would pick it for the artwork alone. It's been a great success, the work I've done with this deck.

WishingMel

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:44:18 am »

I have never used either deck, but the fairy tale tarot is beautiful - lovely images and use of color. I can imagine having lots of fun reading with those cards. I always think choosing a new deck is about whether you feel an instant connection when you look at them. With the Fairty Tale cards I definitely do, not so mure with the Whimsical Tarot although everybody is different, of course.
SIG SPAM REMOVED

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:48:53 pm »

Have you seen this one?  I like it quite a bit.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/fey/

If you google for images, it gives you a better idea of what it is about.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fey+tarot&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=b6c_ULeHGI629gSnuIGgDQ&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=809
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:49:39 pm by NibbleKat »
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Tags: