collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe  (Read 4087 times)

Valeria Crowe

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 340
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« on: November 27, 2014, 05:26:53 pm »
Borrowing from the divex post format there, as I figure it makes the point of my post a touch clearer.

I'd like to request any diviners with experience in dream interpretation (or anyone with an opinion, I'm hardly picky) to have a look at this dream and tell me if any of the symbology seems familiar or if any meaning is there to be found.

It's summer, warm winds and clover scents, and all the windows on my house are open. Its dark inside, and I see through a window that my mother is doing some sort of work (not sure what; trimming the vines?). Behind, I see a bear looming. Yes, a bear, big and furry.

We've had them sniff around our trash cans before, so not as unlikely a fear as one might think.

I race out with my kukri in hand, yelling at her to get inside. The bear, who turns out to be a man in a bearskin headress and bear fur robes and armor (and/or, details are fuzzy) draws a black sword from under his robes, and I attack.

We wind up at the edge of our property, locking blades.

Aaannnndddd- dream ends.

Some miscellaneous points: the armor/robes and headress remind me of the outfit my character wore in an old computer game, and the sword looked like a machete made by the same company that made my kukri (cooincidence, or deliberate paralel?) I didn't get any real hostile vibes from the bear man, either, no hate or rage. His expression was blank.

Any thoughts?
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

LexTalionis

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2014
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 07:55:55 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;166241
Any thoughts?

This appears to me to be one of two possible things. You are having some sort of power struggle with a male figure in your life or with your mother maybe?  Considering the  bear sometimes is representative of a possessive mother and the knife/sword is a method of cutting the ties that bind so to speak. The transformation into a man might mean a desire for you to come into your own masculine energies and seek Independence.... all speculation on my part as you know your life and subconscious better then I.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:56:45 pm by LexTalionis »
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren\'t.”
― Margaret Thatcher

Valeria Crowe

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 340
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »
Quote from: LexTalionis;166420
This appears to me to be one of two possible things. You are having some sort of power struggle with a male figure in your life or with your mother maybe?  Considering the  bear sometimes is representative of a possessive mother and the knife/sword is a method of cutting the ties that bind so to speak. The transformation into a man might mean a desire for you to come into your own masculine energies and seek Independence.... all speculation on my part as you know your life and subconscious better then I.

 
Heh. Was expecting more of an occult meaning than a Freudian one.

Its an interesting thought. Doesnt feel quite right, though. The dream felt more mystical than anything.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

LexTalionis

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2014
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 08:15:46 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;166425
Heh. Was expecting more of an occult meaning than a Freudian one.

Its an interesting thought. Doesnt feel quite right, though. The dream felt more mystical than anything.

 
LOL most divination and spiritual workings are heavily tied to the subconscious. I've never had a tarot reading or dream tell me anything I did not already know deep down.
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren\'t.”
― Margaret Thatcher

Valeria Crowe

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 340
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »
Quote from: LexTalionis;166426
LOL most divination and spiritual workings are heavily tied to the subconscious. I've never had a tarot reading or dream tell me anything I did not already know deep down.

 
Well, there's that.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

LexTalionis

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2014
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:26:28 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;166427
Well, there's that.

 
Well let me try to help a little bit more if I can. What magical traditions do you follow? What traditions might your family have followed in the past (such as being of Swedish decent might incline you towards the energies of Norse pagan faiths)?

Consider any troubles you might have had recently or recent fears or hopes and how they might tie into this dream.

Have you seen items related to this dream since then or had similar dreams since then? After we answer this maybe we can work it out together.
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren\'t.”
― Margaret Thatcher

Valeria Crowe

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 340
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:57:22 pm »
Quote from: LexTalionis;166428
Well let me try to help a little bit more if I can. What magical traditions do you follow? What traditions might your family have followed in the past (such as being of Swedish decent might incline you towards the energies of Norse pagan faiths)?

Consider any troubles you might have had recently or recent fears or hopes and how they might tie into this dream.

Have you seen items related to this dream since then or had similar dreams since then? After we answer this maybe we can work it out together.



Well, okay! Let's sit down and think.

Sorry if I came off dismissive. A few too many Sam Addams in my system to realize when I'm being a dick.

I started off as the usual ill-informed college neo-Wiccan, having some vague idea of a god and goddess. Well, I say started off, I started off a strident atheist rationalist, but neo-Wicca was my first religious path.

Drifted from that into sheer apathy after college, and then into theistic Satanism, and am slowly moving into working with fictional deities (well, as fictional as deities can be, hnestly real and fictional are sort of arguable when it comes to religion) such as the Great Old Ones of Lovecraft and the Chaos Gods of Warhammer, who respond far more readily than the Horned God and Threefold Goddess ever did.

The bear sure felt like a spirit, and a masculine one at that, but didn't seem connected to any gods I've ever follwed.

Well, I also toyed around with working with Hircine, who has a bear aspect, bdut never got far with him. Hunt gods don't pay much attention to non-hunters, I suppose.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

LexTalionis

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2014
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 09:09:55 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;166437
Well, okay! Let's sit down and think.

Sorry if I came off dismissive. A few too many Sam Addams in my system to realize when I'm being a dick.

I started off as the usual ill-informed college neo-Wiccan, having some vague idea of a god and goddess. Well, I say started off, I started off a strident atheist rationalist, but neo-Wicca was my first religious path.

Drifted from that into sheer apathy after college, and then into theistic Satanism, and am slowly moving into working with fictional deities (well, as fictional as deities can be, hnestly real and fictional are sort of arguable when it comes to religion) such as the Great Old Ones of Lovecraft and the Chaos Gods of Warhammer, who respond far more readily than the Horned God and Threefold Goddess ever did.

The bear sure felt like a spirit, and a masculine one at that, but didn't seem connected to any gods I've ever follwed.

Well, I also toyed around with working with Hircine, who has a bear aspect, bdut never got far with him. Hunt gods don't pay much attention to non-hunters, I suppose.

 Trust me after a bit of rum or scotch this sailor can get the same way so no worries. After six years of military service I've got thick skin.;)


So considering what you have said it still seems you are unsettled on a system or set of matron/patron deities. Do you have any reason to suspect Norse or Native people in your bloodline? Could this be ancestral blood calling your path?
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren\'t.”
― Margaret Thatcher

Valeria Crowe

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 340
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »
Quote from: LexTalionis;166440
Trust me after a bit of rum or scotch this sailor can get the same way so no worries. After six years of military service I've got thick skin.;)


So considering what you have said it still seems you are unsettled on a system or set of matron/patron deities. Do you have any reason to suspect Norse or Native people in your bloodline? Could this be ancestral blood calling your path?

 
Well, not completely settled, but I do feel like I've started working with the right ones.

As for blood... some Norse, perhaps. German, for certain, as well as Welsh and Scottish, Irish and English. Native? None that I know. Certainly if there's any there its far too buried in whiteness for any native nation to want me, and I dont figure the spirits for being less discriminating.

It might indeed have been ancestral spirits calling. Frankly, I'm hoping for another dream to clarify all this. If the spirits can't even spare a second dream for some clarification, they must not want me that bad. I'll meditate on it a bit before sleeping.

Now I want rum...
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Faemon

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1229
  • Total likes: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:33:31 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;166241
It's summer, warm winds and clover scents, and all the windows on my house are open. Its dark inside, and I see through a window that my mother is doing some sort of work (not sure what; trimming the vines?). Behind, I see a bear looming. Yes, a bear, big and furry.

We've had them sniff around our trash cans before, so not as unlikely a fear as one might think.

I race out with my kukri in hand, yelling at her to get inside. The bear, who turns out to be a man in a bearskin headress and bear fur robes and armor (and/or, details are fuzzy) draws a black sword from under his robes, and I attack.

We wind up at the edge of our property, locking blades.

Aaannnndddd- dream ends.

Some miscellaneous points: the armor/robes and headress remind me of the outfit my character wore in an old computer game, and the sword looked like a machete made by the same company that made my kukri (cooincidence, or deliberate paralel?) I didn't get any real hostile vibes from the bear man, either, no hate or rage. His expression was blank.

Any thoughts?


Just a couple of questions: Do you own a kukri? And how is your relationship with your mother?
 
Because the first thing I thought was of the spirit world as a mirror to this one in that everything is backwards: in (mostly) sexual reproduction structured animals like us, in the charged gender culture that we're in, the us in the spirit world could usually be the opposite polarity gender that we are. Applying the same to the idea of humanity as exclusive of animality...the otherworld self can take the shape of an animal.

In Norse folk mythology, the fylgja would usually take the form of an animal or a woman...prrrobably because of patriarchal conditioning where men are human and woman are some other perhaps mysterious and magical manner of creature (instead of half the world's population of human beings), but if the Bear-Man wasn't actively hostile, perhaps he's your mother's otherworldly spiritual self that for some reason your dream self is intuitively threatened by. Perhaps it could even be your otherworldly self, not innately inimical, but out of your conscious control and therefore threatening to a way of life that you're comfortable with?

Or maybe it's some echo of somebody's past life as a berserker (except, well, part of me thinks that with some numinous experiences, our minds and the way to parse the experiences are the holes to the pegs; they don't always fit, so our mind fills things in with contemporary experience imagery) that might have manifested in a personality clash or event of conflict in waking life, had it not been repressed by confrontation or something.

Or it could be the presence of an ancestral guardian.

I'm also seeing some issues with lack-of-light in the dream; the blackout inside the house, and the black sword could mean different things or similar things, depending on how comfortable you are with darkness.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

LexTalionis

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2014
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 09:34:48 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;166442
Well, not completely settled, but I do feel like I've started working with the right ones.

As for blood... some Norse, perhaps. German, for certain, as well as Welsh and Scottish, Irish and English. Native? None that I know. Certainly if there's any there its far too buried in whiteness for any native nation to want me, and I dont figure the spirits for being less discriminating.

It might indeed have been ancestral spirits calling. Frankly, I'm hoping for another dream to clarify all this. If the spirits can't even spare a second dream for some clarification, they must not want me that bad. I'll meditate on it a bit before sleeping.

Now I want rum...


I am now leaning towards the idea that your Norse and ScottIrish blood is calling your name. If you are waiting on a secondary contact I would not count on it. Those traditions tend to favor the bold. They will open the door but the rest is up to the seeker. So I would try seeking the spirit yourself as its not likely to come to you again if I am guessing right.

As for rum I suggest Kraken, Captain Morgan Tattoo or Black Magic rums.
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren\'t.”
― Margaret Thatcher

Valeria Crowe

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 340
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 09:43:59 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;166446
Just a couple of questions: Do you own a kukri? And how is your relationship with your mother?
 
Because the first thing I thought was of the spirit world as a mirror to this one in that everything is backwards: in (mostly) sexual reproduction structured animals like us, in the charged gender culture that we're in, the us in the spirit world could usually be the opposite polarity gender that we are. Applying the same to the idea of humanity as exclusive of animality...the otherworld self can take the shape of an animal.

In Norse folk mythology, the fylgja would usually take the form of an animal or a woman...prrrobably because of patriarchal conditioning where men are human and woman are some other perhaps mysterious and magical manner of creature (instead of half the world's population of human beings), but if the Bear-Man wasn't actively hostile, perhaps he's your mother's otherworldly spiritual self that for some reason your dream self is intuitively threatened by. Perhaps it could even be your otherworldly self, not innately inimical, but out of your conscious control and therefore threatening to a way of life that you're comfortable with?

Or maybe it's some echo of somebody's past life as a berserker (except, well, part of me thinks that with some numinous experiences, our minds and the way to parse the experiences are the holes to the pegs; they don't always fit, so our mind fills things in with contemporary experience imagery) that might have manifested in a personality clash or event of conflict in waking life, had it not been repressed by confrontation or something.

Or it could be the presence of an ancestral guardian.

I'm also seeing some issues with lack-of-light in the dream; the blackout inside the house, and the black sword could mean different things or similar things, depending on how comfortable you are with darkness.

 
Well, I do own a black kukri, just bought it, and the bear mans sword was a machete that looked of similar manufacture, so its probably not so much symbolic as just drawing from the weapon I own.

Honestly, my mother only featured in the very beginning of the dream, and never showed up after that. I don't know for sure, but I do have the feeling the dream isn't about her, she was just... there.

My relationship with her is pretty normal. She's loving but a bit smothering, we watch movies together, we kept each other together when father was abusive... the normal thing.

As for the darkness, I like darkness, never liked bright days. Might have something to do with it.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Valeria Crowe

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 340
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 09:44:55 pm »
Quote from: LexTalionis;166447
I am now leaning towards the idea that your Norse and ScottIrish blood is calling your name. If you are waiting on a secondary contact I would not count on it. Those traditions tend to favor the bold. They will open the door but the rest is up to the seeker. So I would try seeking the spirit yourself as its not likely to come to you again if I am guessing right.

As for rum I suggest Kraken, Captain Morgan Tattoo or Black Magic rums.

 
Good suggestion.

Some research and calling out to spirits and gods, I guess.

Erin go blah!
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

LexTalionis

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2014
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:11 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;166449
Good suggestion.

Some research and calling out to spirits and gods, I guess.

Erin go blah!

 
I think ya meant Erin go Bragh or the older Éirinn go Brách :p

If you are looking for books on the those traditions I could suggest "By Oak Ash and Thorn" or "Northern Traditions for the solitary practitioner". Both pretty good basic books
“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren\'t.”
― Margaret Thatcher

Juniperberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 1891
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Cuthwin Crowe
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 06:59:56 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe
It's summer, warm winds and clover scents, and all the windows on my house are open. Its dark inside, and I see through a window that my mother is doing some sort of work (not sure what; trimming the vines?). Behind, I see a bear looming. Yes, a bear, big and furry.

We've had them sniff around our trash cans before, so not as unlikely a fear as one might think.

I race out with my kukri in hand, yelling at her to get inside. The bear, who turns out to be a man in a bearskin headress and bear fur robes and armor (and/or, details are fuzzy) draws a black sword from under his robes, and I attack.

We wind up at the edge of our property, locking blades.

Aaannnndddd- dream ends.


For me, dream-houses often represent my ancestral home in the Otherworld, the collective hearth, the symbol of where the family Luck and soul resides.

The fact that you fought something at the border of this property is even more suggestive of that, because it deals with elements of innergard and utgard. The fact that the bear-man respected those boundaries and fought you at the border would mean, for me, that it isn't a malevolent being at all. It could be a sign that there is something worthwhile for you to consider that is at the boundaries of your spiritual life.



 

Quote from: Faemon;166446
In Norse folk mythology, the fylgja would usually take the form of an animal or a woman...prrrobably because of patriarchal conditioning where men are human and woman are some other perhaps mysterious and magical manner of creature (instead of half the world's population of human beings), but if the Bear-Man wasn't actively hostile, perhaps he's your mother's otherworldly spiritual self that for some reason your dream self is intuitively threatened by. Perhaps it could even be your otherworldly self, not innately inimical, but out of your conscious control and therefore threatening to a way of life that you're comfortable with?

I sort of tense up at the idea that any time a woman plays a valuable and sacred role in mythology it's just patriarchal conditioning. The Germanic people actually saw spiritually strong women as living divinity and offered them sacrifices and offerings.

The fylgja didn't often take the form of a woman, unless it was your fylgja and you were dying (which is the only time you'll see your own). This is because syncreticism conflated the ideas of Hamingja, Dsir, Fylgjas, Valkyries. The form of the fylgja is representative of the intentions/spirit of the person you are dreaming about. An enemy's fylgja would be a wolf for example, a daughter's suitor would come as an eagle. The spirit of the fylgja rests in the placenta, is born with the person, and is the spiritual/otherworldly expression of them, symbolized by an animal, because animals were brothers and sisters in an otherworldly community of their own.

Women were seen as different than men, but more equal in their differences than inferior. Because a woman is the inverse of a grave, her body the threshold between non-life and life, she was seen as a more liminal being than a male. The woman straddled the line between wild nature (Spirit) and organized society (Man). She had a innate Otherworldly presence by virtue of her gender, the ability to perform in both realities, that qualified her as the guardian of her family's Luck. She is the Matriarch of the family.  Since it was much easier for women to travel between the two worlds, it makes sense that Hamingja and Dsir appeared most often as women.

However, there are also instances of male-spirits approaching and foretelling a family member's future. These roles weren't set in stone.

I should also add that transgenderism was also a thing in Germanic religion. The above was simply a template of understanding.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:06:45 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
1815 Views
Last post February 16, 2012, 09:40:21 pm
by Mithril
9 Replies
1165 Views
Last post October 09, 2014, 06:18:00 pm
by Scales
7 Replies
662 Views
Last post October 21, 2014, 10:38:10 pm
by Altair
5 Replies
1013 Views
Last post March 04, 2015, 11:11:59 pm
by Caffeinated Autumn
2 Replies
691 Views
Last post March 04, 2019, 03:29:33 pm
by stardustlily

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall