Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Div Ex: Sophia Catherine  (Read 1295 times)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Div Ex: Sophia Catherine
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:00:02 am »
Hey, readers. I have a dilemma that's not getting resolved, so I thought I'd see if anyone could offer me a reading. (And I'm happy to do an Ogham reading in exchange!)

I have a friend who's been a bit of an informal teacher for me in the area of druidry and magic. I've taken workshops with her and done a bit of one-to-one work. She does have some good insights and approaches, and I've learnt a lot from her. Now she's about to start running a structured course, and I've been interested in joining it, but I'm not entirely sure if I should. It's not exactly the type of druidry and magic I'm interested in - but there is overlap, and where am I going to find a teacher who teaches exactly what I want to learn? We have some major differences in our approaches which have sometimes led to differences of opinion, though, and I'm not sure whether that would get worse in a structured course, or not. On the other hand, it's in-person teaching (which I learn better from than working on my own, probably to do with my specific learning disabilities). But there's the issue of the cost, and the commitment, and I just can't decide what to do. Wah. A reading on the issue would be greatly appreciated!

Any method of divination would be awesome. I'm familiar enough with tarot and Ogham that I could follow along there, but anything is fine, as I can at least relate to the concepts of scrying, runes etc.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Div Ex: Sophia Catherine
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:52 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;104087

Hey, just finished reading for you about an hour ago. I pulled a 9-card spread (one of my favorites) and it's gonna take awhile to properly digest. Just letting you know I'm on the case and should have something before too long. :)

Sneak peak: The card I pulled to represent you is the Queen of Bows, which in the Wildwood Tarot deck is represented by a badass looking hare.

Also, you got a ridiculous amount of court cards. For a nine card reading, six were courts. One was a Major Acana, and the other two were 3s. Your elemental breakdown was Vessels/Water (2), Stones/Earth (3), Arrows/Air (1) and Bows/Fire (2). Plus the Major Arcana, which I usually see as a mix of all four classical elements.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:53:42 am »
Quote from: Sage;104112
Hey, just finished reading for you about an hour ago. I pulled a 9-card spread (one of my favorites) and it's gonna take awhile to properly digest. Just letting you know I'm on the case and should have something before too long. :)

Sneak peak: The card I pulled to represent you is the Queen of Bows, which in the Wildwood Tarot deck is represented by a badass looking hare.

Also, you got a ridiculous amount of court cards. For a nine card reading, six were courts. One was a Major Acana, and the other two were 3s. Your elemental breakdown was Vessels/Water (2), Stones/Earth (3), Arrows/Air (1) and Bows/Fire (2). Plus the Major Arcana, which I usually see as a mix of all four classical elements.

Thank you! You are an absolute star.

And so far, not much that you've said surprises me. :)
- Doctor Who

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:25 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;104114
Thank you! You are an absolute star.

And so far, not much that you've said surprises me. :)

Warning: MASSIVE TEXT DUMP AHEAD.

-----

Here is a picture of your reading. Below are the positions of the cards explained.

[1] [2] [3] = [Past] [Present] [Future]
[4] = [Universal Influences]
[5] = [Personal Influences]
[6] = [Universal Influences] connected to [Past] -- [4] connected to [1]
[7] = [Universal Influences] connected to [Future] -- [4] connected to [3]
[8] = [Personal Influences] connected to [Past] -- [5] connected to [1]
[9] = [Personal Influences] connected to [Future] -- [5] connected to [3]

--------

[1] Queen of Vessels, Salmon [Past]

“The Queen’s spirit draws upon the honesty, generosity, and self-sacrifice She sees in you.”

This card represents two different things: an actual entity who/Who is the Queen of Vessels, and the energy that started off your entire situation to begin with.

The Queen of Vessels is most likely a goddess, ancestress, or other aspect of the divine feminine. (She may also be an older and wiser woman whom you trust implicitly, but my gut tells me this is a goddess, likely Brighid.) As the Queen of Vessels, She is the Queen of the watery realms: love, dreams, intuition, emotions, mental health, and the wellbeing of women. As a Goddess of water and wisdom, I keep seeing Brighid (and/or Sulis?) as the keeper of a sanctuary/temple built around a holy well. You also have elements of this Queen within yourself, as you are a deeply kind and caring individual. There’s also concern with recovery and security (both for yourself and others).

Taking the image of the leaping salmon quite literally, there’s also a theme of returning home. The strongest energy from the past to the future is an uphill struggle to regain what was once had, for the eventual birth of the next chapter of your life. Because the card is upright, it means you’ve started out on the right foot; though the going may be difficult, the Queen of Vessels will guide you along your way.

[2] King of Stones reversed, Wolf [Present]

"Security brings pleasure; loyalty crowns every endeavor."

Upright, this card represents a comfort and ability to thrive even in the dark and cold of winter, guardianship of the dead, steadfastness, and robust health. Reversed, I read this as a springtime that has been delayed, either through a complacency with living in a spiritual winter, or a “stuck”ness in the frozen earth. In the Wildwood, the wolf represents looking to the wisdom of others and embracing traditional (and safe) values; reversed, these qualities further immobilize the change and progress necessary for new life to thrive.

The Wolf is the King of Stones, so reversing that energy means that the earth energies in this reading seem to be falling apart right now. This could be connection to nature, financial problems, health issues, or any general sense of stability and agency. I’m getting a lot of serious health issues that lead to a feeling of loss of control, especially over aspects that were once considered safe. Finally, there’s a very aching sense of loneliness here, either in feeling like a lone wolf separated from the pack, or like an alpha who cannot gain the respect of her pack.

[3] Knight of Stones reversed, Horse [Future]

”Let the horse carry you."

It’s the Knight’s job to carry out the King’s orders and act as a messenger throughout the kingdom, so the Knight of Stones answers to the King of Stones. It’s quite telling that they’re both in reverse; it means there’s a serious imbalance of Earth/Land energy right now, and if it’s not corrected with purpose (or at least taken into account) it’s not going to get better on its own.

Upright, the Horse should represent the breath of life and protection of the dead, making tracks through the forest, healthy activity, and self sufficiency -- daring, pride, perseverance, quickly understanding the essentials of a situation, and a good ally in battle. Reversed, all this productive energy becomes disordered chaos, hasty choices, frenzied reactions. I imagine a spooked horse running around in circles, expending a lot of energy but getting nowhere -- or breaking out of its cage, only to find itself in the middle of a swamp.

Playing off the loss of sovereignty felt with the reversed King of Stones, the reversed Knight of Stones reads as someone frantically trying to rebuild their kingdom. They’re searching for the rest of their herd, looking for that missing piece that will somehow make everything alright, or they’re fleeing from predators (real or imagined). The big warning here seems to be of the seeker’s identity taking on a life of its own. Is seeking security more important than actually finding it?

[4] Three of Arrows, Jealousy [Universal Influences]

”Failure to enforce social responsibilities and parameters.”

As the Universal Influences card, this is the energy that permeates the entire reading; successful cards are able to work with its energies (in this case, avoid the consequences of jealousy) while reversed cards cannot (in this case, fall into the trap of someone’s jealousy). In the Wildwood, jealousy is seem as stemming primarily from loss; since this card is upright, it indicates that there’s prime opportunity here to assess motives and responsibility. You can respond to this by refocusing your own energy into a creative momentum that will allow you to coast through, regardless of other people’s problems.

The imagery on this card is quite stunning: three arrows hitting a wooden heart-shaped target, which bleeds from the damage and is also on fire. The biggest warning it gives is to be careful what you wish for. I get the sense that those arrows hit their mark perfectly because they were shot in anger, with a tremendous amount of pain caused in the heat of the moment. There’s a severe lack of water (healing, understanding, love) in this reading -- though again, because the card is upright there’s the indication that this element may be introduced, perhaps through lessons taught by the Queen of Vessels. Ask yourself: is your heart unguarded? How are your shields?

[5] Queen of Bows, Hare [Personal Influences]

”An offering of peace and love.”

AKA the “Sophia is a Badass Bunny!” card.

This card takes the “Querent” position you may see in other readings; it represents you, Sophia, and your own personal energies you bring to the table. The Queen of Bows is an interesting complement to the Queen of Vessels, the former being fire energy and the latter being water. Like the Queen of Vessels, the Queen of Bows is full of compassion, kindness, and gentle wisdom with a bit of humor. The hare points to ties with springtime and new growth, sexuality, fertility, and potential. Though the Universal Influences are jealousy, your own contribution combats that with sympathy and understanding, along with a deep awareness of success (whether you know it or not!).

When seeing this card for the first time, my first thought was willpower. The Queen of Bows gives you the strength and momentum needed to get things done. I find it an interesting contrast to the reversed Page of Stones card -- both Hare and Horse are prey animals, but in this reading the Hare is the queen of her domain and knows how to use her weaknesses to her advantage. The Queen of Bows is alert and at home in the nighttime, wandering through the moonlit mists unafraid of the dark. She knows that weaknesses are only flaws when they go unacknowledged.

[6] Knight of Vessels reversed, Eel [Universal Influences connected to Past]

”With purity of intent, your destiny defined, you are able to bring wisdom and maturity to your tasks.”

This card helps to explain how the Past card -- Queen of Vessels -- gave rise to the Universal Influences card -- Three of Arrows, Jealous. Usually, the Knight of Vessels refers to a reputation of someone or something as a trusted protector and font of wisdom, able to defend the small while turning themselves into a weapon for justice. (Interestingly enough, the Morrígan sometimes assumed the form of an eel in battle.) This card also symbolizes induction and union, especially through methods of seduction, compliance, and conquest. So reversed, there is a great lie, ruse, or misunderstanding of identity at play here. Someone or something thought to be protective and wise is more of a con artist, using emotional manipulation and seduction to lure you in. Alternatively, it could just be an ordinary person/thing that was built up in the minds of others (through no fault of its own); when reality came to light, folks were understandably crushed and disappointment. This feeling of loss leads to the Universal Influences card, jealousy.

From the perspective of the individuals who were tricked, they feel like everything granted to them by the Queen of Vessels is slipping away. There’s a loss of control and guidance, and an inability to put plans into action or see them come to fruition. The river is muddy and there are snakes in the grass.

[7] Three of Bows, Fulfillment [Universal Influences connected to Future]

”The archer must be at one with the bow to fully direct its potential energy.”

The Three of Bows indicates a joyful security that stems from a dedication to spirituality and commitment to emotional scrutiny. There is wisdom and balance in this card; the seeker of knowledge allows energy to pass through her, and while vigilance, commitment, and intellectual appraisal will grant peace, she must also know when to let go to let the energy go where it will. I see this as a correcting force sent from the Queen of Vessels, and while you have to be cautious against this energy turning frantic and unhindered (as with the reversed Knight of Stones), because the card is upright, I believe the Queen of Vessel’s watery influences will help calm this card’s fiery nature.

This card indicates that the Universal Influences of jealousy may be side-stepped with a balanced approach, incorporating both fire and water, ecstasy and control. There is a huge potential for energy and change, but there is also a choice that must be made. Seek the middle path or find yourself fleeing like the Horse. A union of opposites will lead to a trial by fire, ultimately resulting in healing.

[8] Page of Stones, Lynx [Personal Influences connected to Past]

”Pay attention to the physical realm, and be aware of the effects generated by everything you do.”

Part of what lends you your energy in the Personal Influences card is your practicality and ability to see the bigger chain of causes and effects. When lack of foresight leads to a mistake, you often know how to make amends and turn things around. In the Wildwood, the Lynx is a representation of reflection and observation as well as applied study and scholarship. These are your gifts from the Queen of Vessels.

The King makes decisions; the Queen gives them a personal aspect; the Knight passes out the orders; the Page does the dirty work. The Page of Stones is therefore the do-er of stability, working stealthily behind the scenes rather than sprinting into the spotlight. The Lynx also has further associations with mysteries, secrets, and subtlety; the way lynxes stack through the shadows after prey, you are able to use the negative aspects of situations to your advantage when chasing after your goals.

This has been a good path for you so far; keep it in mind as you make decisions about the future.

[9] Major Arcana 6 reversed, The Forest Lovers [Personal Influences connected to Future]

”[True love] is an interchange of energy and passion, not the surrender or domination of either but a voluntary exchange of willpower and respect.”

Finally, we have the last card: the Forest Lovers, reversed. This connects you with the future which is also a reversed card; logic dictates that if you can swap around the energies of the Forest Lovers, your future will look more like a rightside-up Knight of Stones.

The Forest Lovers reversed indicates trouble in paradise. Balance in relationships is spoiled by greed and possessiveness; inner harmony and healing is badly needed. The Forest Lovers represent a union of energy, often (but not always) opposites, which cascades into a third, synergistic energy. It’s the bridge between Earth and Sky, the Axis Mundi between Realms, the Gate between the Worlds. A deep vow has been made; more than that, an emotional commitment of yourself, fully, to another power. And the honeymoon doesn’t last long. For whatever reason, there is not an equal exchange of energy and resources in this relationship; I see you giving far too much of yourself, or the other party taking too much (and since you’re so nice and helpful and good, of course you want to help out as much as you can!). Maybe this time, you’ll have found your Forest Lover, and if only you try hard enough...

But this is not a happy and perfect union and does not grant you the fulfillment you sought. Be careful of the bonds you make (both officially to others, and privately, in your heart). Reversed, this takes our World Tree and uproots it, upsetting your center.

Final Verdict

I could go on and on about how all these energies could possibly play into each other, but I’ll leave you with these final thoughts:

• Change needs to happen. The elements show too much earth (two of the three cards are reversed!) and not enough fire; that’s stagnation right there, a tendency toward emotional burnout, committing yourself too fiercely and too soon for your own good. You need to find where this pattern emerges, get out your bud-nippers, and nip it in the bud.
  • Joining this group isn’t necessarily going to end in tears, but there’s a strong likelihood for heads to butt and a tendency toward miscommunication (and dare I say theatrics?) that may cause jealousy. You have many opportunities to counteract this energy, but it may use up spoons you could better use elsewhere.
  • You’ll be joining your energies to another party to create a third entity -- the whole group of you together. Be careful of  how much of yourself you pour into this group; be careful of how much energy you take in exchange. Be careful of bonds and doing things in haste or desperation. Use your shields, protect your heart, protect yourself. Take care of you.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »
Quote from: Sage;104140

• Change needs to happen. The elements show too much earth (two of the three cards are reversed!) and not enough fire; that’s stagnation right there, a tendency toward emotional burnout, committing yourself too fiercely and too soon for your own good. You need to find where this pattern emerges, get out your bud-nippers, and nip it in the bud.
  • Joining this group isn’t necessarily going to end in tears, but there’s a strong likelihood for heads to butt and a tendency toward miscommunication (and dare I say theatrics?) that may cause jealousy. You have many opportunities to counteract this energy, but it may use up spoons you could better use elsewhere.
  • You’ll be joining your energies to another party to create a third entity -- the whole group of you together. Be careful of  how much of yourself you pour into this group; be careful of how much energy you take in exchange. Be careful of bonds and doing things in haste or desperation. Use your shields, protect your heart, protect yourself. Take care of you.

That was an absolutely superb reading - and so detailed! Thank you so much. Brilliant.
- Doctor Who

Tags: