Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Buying vs. Receiving a Tarot Deck  (Read 27336 times)

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Buying vs. Receiving a Tarot Deck
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:46:05 am »
I've decided to try my hand at other forms of divination besides the pendulum, and since there are many resources available for tarot, I decided to start looking into getting a deck.

I remember being told years ago, though, that you're not supposed to buy your own deck(s) — that you're supposed to receive it as a gift. I know that from the other threads on this forum, people buy their own decks all the time. Is there any significance behind receiving a deck instead buying your own, or is it just teenage superstition?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Buying vs. Receiving a Tarot Deck
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:12:12 am »
Quote from: Firaza;31170
Is there any significance behind receiving a deck instead buying your own, or is it just teenage superstition?

More of the latter, I think. My understanding is the objection is against using a bought item rather than one gifted, but the deck had to be bought or bartered for by someone at some point, so that has never made sense to me.  
Personally I'd rather start with a factory-sealed deck, then cleanse it myself.  That way I'd know the deck only has a history with me, and I wouldn't have to worry someone else's karmic or energetic boogers all over it.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:46 am »
Is there any significance behind receiving a deck instead buying your own, or is it just teenage superstition?

I'd say it is just superstition. Given the wide variety of decks, I think it is better to select your own.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Kharma

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:50:40 am »

I've had decks that were given to me, decks that I hand crafted, and decks that I bought.  The one that I've had the most accurate readings with, and that I have the best "connection" with, is one that I purchased.  I think it's just superstition.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »

I've bought every single deck I own. If I waited around for people to gift me with decks I wouldn't have any! I think it's better to buy them for yourself because only you know exactly what you want in a deck. I just ordered the Giants Tarot (http://www.northernpaganism.org/rokkatru/giants-tarot.html), for instance, which is a deck that you can only get by buying directly from the people who make it. No one I know would EVER think of buying it for me (and if they did, they wouldn't understand why I wanted it).

I've heard people who say that the cards won't "work" for you unless they're given as a gift, and I think that's bull. I saved my money so I could buy my Tarot of Vampyres, and EVERY TIME I've used it it's been scarily accurate (even when I practice read for people I've never met online). Maybe some people have experienced things differently, but as I've said, I've bought every single one of my decks myself.

tl;dr version: I'm with the "it's just superstition" crowd. :)

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:31:49 pm »
I've decided to try my hand at other forms of divination besides the pendulum, and since there are many resources available for tarot, I decided to start looking into getting a deck.

I remember being told years ago, though, that you're not supposed to buy your own deck(s) — that you're supposed to receive it as a gift. I know that from the other threads on this forum, people buy their own decks all the time. Is there any significance behind receiving a deck instead buying your own, or is it just teenage superstition?

Just family myth on my part but we were told that one never buys thier first deck.  It goes back to the abiity to read being a gift and to keep that gift one does not sell it by buying thier first cards.  For what we were raised under it applied to almost all things we might use.

It's sort of the same type myth we had in the Navy in that one never buys their first stripe for to have another purchase those stripes means they though you worthy of it.  

To have an experienced set handed down to you was even more important for it was preceived as passing down the wisdom and experience of its previous owner / user.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »

Honestly, you're more likely to find a deck that you like if you're shopping for yourself as opposed to giving some vague instructions to someone who is willing to buy you a deck.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 06:27:45 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;31174
More of the latter, I think. My understanding is the objection is against using a bought item rather than one gifted, but the deck had to be bought or bartered for by someone at some point, so that has never made sense to me.

Quote from: RandallS;31193
I'd say it is just superstition. Given the wide variety of decks, I think it is better to select your own.

Quote from: Kharma;31203
I've had decks that were given to me, decks that I hand crafted, and decks that I bought.  The one that I've had the most accurate readings with, and that I have the best "connection" with, is one that I purchased.  I think it's just superstition.

Quote from: Lokabrenna;31209
tl;dr version: I'm with the "it's just superstition" crowd. :)

Thank you for clearing that up! I was never certain why my friends claimed it was bad juju to buy a deck for yourself, because I doubt anyone would get the idea in their head to buy one for me.

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 06:28:36 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;31214
Just family myth on my part but we were told that one never buys thier first deck.  It goes back to the abiity to read being a gift and to keep that gift one does not sell it by buying thier first cards.  For what we were raised under it applied to almost all things we might use.

It's sort of the same type myth we had in the Navy in that one never buys their first stripe for to have another purchase those stripes means they though you worthy of it.  

To have an experienced set handed down to you was even more important for it was preceived as passing down the wisdom and experience of its previous owner / user.

That makes sense, too.

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 06:30:00 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;31227
Honestly, you're more likely to find a deck that you like if you're shopping for yourself as opposed to giving some vague instructions to someone who is willing to buy you a deck.

I think this is the main reason why I'd rather buy my own deck. I was looking at different card designs and none of them really appealed to me... Of course, I've only glanced at a few, so I'm sure to find something I would like. But I don't think anyone else would know exactly what deck I'd like, no matter how well they knew me.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 06:38:55 pm »
Quote from: Firaza;31249
That makes sense, too.

I think what many miss is that to be given your first deck didn't mean you had to use it, would actually use or that you couldn't later buy other decks.  It was more the understanding that to read the cards was to call upon the universe, to receive them as a gift was to be shown the universe had choosen you as a reader.

My first deck I bough but tarot was not my strong suite.  For me it was playing cards that I was good at and that was what I was given.  Yet one of my siblings had a Tarot deck just show up and it was understood to be Spirit indicating that it was her calling and her strong suit.

I suppose for me a good indicator for many years later I would just stop reading them all together and never again pick them up or have a desire to use them.

starlilica

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://polytheist-witch.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:06:46 pm »

Putting in my two cents.

I was told that I had to recieve my first deck from someone, but I was allowed to choose one and someone could buy it for me. It didn't even have to be someone else's money :rolleye:: Its just the transaction I guess, which doesn't much make sense. I tend to be supersitious by nature, though, so I guess YMMV. I figure like everyone else said,  picking something that has meaning to you is the most important part.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »

My personal encounters with it have been mostly "teenage superstition". or maybe I should say "teenage bullying" - teen #1 buys a deck, teen #2 covets it and tries to manipulate teen #1 into giving it to them.

I once got so irritated about the persistence of it that I started a thread asking about its prevalence and regionality, and what people might know about its origins - it's here.  The short summary of the thread is that it can have significance and usefulness, depending on circumstances (Monsnoleedra's "family myth" is an example of this; see also Marilyn's and Jorgath's posts in the archive thread - there may well be others there too; I didn't reread the whole thing), but that it's not universal and is most often superstitious (or manipulative) in how it's presented/applied.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 09:43:09 am »
Quote from: Firaza;31250
I think this is the main reason why I'd rather buy my own deck. I was looking at different card designs and none of them really appealed to me... Of course, I've only glanced at a few, so I'm sure to find something I would like. But I don't think anyone else would know exactly what deck I'd like, no matter how well they knew me.

Aeclectic has a big list that you can look through.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 11:12:20 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;31317
Aeclectic has a big list that you can look through.

Sometimes if you look on the artists' websites they'll have images of all the cards in a deck, but if they don't, AT usually has sample cards up.

Tags: