Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: 22 Card Tarot Decks  (Read 5073 times)

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
22 Card Tarot Decks
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »
Has anyone worked with 22 Card tarot decks?  I've seen the Medici Expanded Tarot deck and love the artwork.  As I've only worked with the 78 card decks, I'd like to have feedback (positive and/or negative) about the smaller decksize.  And if you've had chance to work with this particular deck, I'd love to get your opinion on it (and where you could get it at a little more reasonable price).

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: 22 Card Tarot Decks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:11:21 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;32894
Has anyone worked with 22 Card tarot decks?

Major Arcana only, I assume?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:21:07 pm »
Has anyone worked with 22 Card tarot decks?  I've seen the Medici Expanded Tarot deck and love the artwork.  As I've only worked with the 78 card decks, I'd like to have feedback (positive and/or negative) about the smaller decksize.  And if you've had chance to work with this particular deck, I'd love to get your opinion on it (and where you could get it at a little more reasonable price).

There's a fairly large amount of Major Arcana only spreads one can use - they seem to be especially popular for spirituality related questions. I don't own any 22 Card decks, and normally do readings with a full deck (in my opinion, if the issue is important enough, Major Arcana WILL show up in large amount anyway). But still, sometimes I use the MA only in readings for others if they so desire.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 06:27:05 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;32898
There's a fairly large amount of Major Arcana only spreads one can use - they seem to be especially popular for spirituality related questions. I don't own any 22 Card decks, and normally do readings with a full deck (in my opinion, if the issue is important enough, Major Arcana WILL show up in large amount anyway). But still, sometimes I use the MA only in readings for others if they so desire.

Thanks for the replies!  The Medici Deck (Expanded) is all Major Arcana from what I can see shown online...

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:51:26 pm »
Has anyone worked with 22 Card tarot decks?  

I have, as part of the BOTA training curriculum.  Major Arcana only, about 3x5, b&w, on unfinished cardstock.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
22 Card Tarot Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:00:26 am »

All I can think of is the tarot poster a friend showed me once, with an illustration of a reader, captioned, "Caution: Not Reading With A Full Deck."
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:24:11 am »

Major Arcana decks (I've never seen a 22-card  tarot deck that was anything else, and I can't imagine how else, logically, to cut a deck down to 22) tend to be more "art decks" than working decks - there's not all that much point in an artist/deck designer paring it back to just those cards, except to be able to focus the artistic effort into aesthetic wonderfulness in a way that's much harder to do if you've got several dozen cards to design.

And they tend to be more popular with collectors than with those who read tarot (or, more popular as additions to collections than as additions to the "toolbox", since there are many people who both collect and read).

I can't see doing readings with a Major Arcana deck myself; it seems like I'd lose too much nuance.  Certainly the common "Celtic Cross" layout wouldn't be all that well-suited to a MA deck; if you're going to lay out half your deck, you might as well lay out the whole thing (there are full-deck layouts for 78-card decks, so it's not unreasonable to do that with a 22-card deck - in either case, I'd think it would be all about the positional relationships among the cards).

I can also see where a Major Arcana deck could be really useful as a study deck, for becoming better acquainted with the MA or for meditiating - here, aesthetics would take a back seat to effectively capturing the import of the card.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 08:21:21 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;32957

*nods*
I agree with most of the above.

I could imagine some use for MA only deck. But it lies more within the purpose of meditation or magic.

But there is one spread, that uses only the MA.
It's called "The Fool's Journey". It serves to determine the point on which a person is now, when it comes to a certain issue.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:46 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;32957
Major Arcana decks (I've never seen a 22-card  tarot deck that was anything else, and I can't imagine how else, logically, to cut a deck down to 22) tend to be more "art decks" than working decks - there's not all that much point in an artist/deck designer paring it back to just those cards, except to be able to focus the artistic effort into aesthetic wonderfulness in a way that's much harder to do if you've got several dozen cards to design.

And they tend to be more popular with collectors than with those who read tarot (or, more popular as additions to collections than as additions to the "toolbox", since there are many people who both collect and read).

I can't see doing readings with a Major Arcana deck myself; it seems like I'd lose too much nuance.  Certainly the common "Celtic Cross" layout wouldn't be all that well-suited to a MA deck; if you're going to lay out half your deck, you might as well lay out the whole thing (there are full-deck layouts for 78-card decks, so it's not unreasonable to do that with a 22-card deck - in either case, I'd think it would be all about the positional relationships among the cards).

I can also see where a Major Arcana deck could be really useful as a study deck, for becoming better acquainted with the MA or for meditiating - here, aesthetics would take a back seat to effectively capturing the import of the card.

Sunflower

I was considering a Past/Present/Future kind of reading just for myself to see how I'm doing spiritually-wise for this deck.  If I can find a two digit price range for it, that is...

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 11:49:02 am »
Quote from: Tana;32972
But there is one spread, that uses only the MA.
It's called "The Fool's Journey". It serves to determine the point on which a person is now, when it comes to a certain issue.

That sounds like it'd be a spread designed specifically to apply the characteristics of the Major Arcana.

I don't know it, but I believe I've heard the phrase "The Fool's Journey" used to refer to the "storyline" of the Major Arcana, so it's not much of a stretch to imagine a spread applying that to personal progress - yep, here it is at, surprise surprise, Joan Bunning's Learn Tarot site; no spread there, but otherwise very much geared toward the "personal progress of the individual" theme.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:51:58 am »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;32986
I was considering a Past/Present/Future kind of reading just for myself to see how I'm doing spiritually-wise for this deck.  If I can find a two digit price range for it, that is...

Heh, yeah - when I looked it up over at Aeclectic, I checked the Amazon link and noticed it was not exactly cheap.  I suspect that may be related to the "collector's deck" thing.

Sunflower

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 11:59:04 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;33002

I don't know it, but I believe I've heard the phrase "The Fool's Journey" used to refer to the "storyline" of the Major Arcana, so it's not much of a stretch to imagine a spread applying that to personal progress -

*nods*
That is exactly how the spread works.
Only you shuffle and take 12 cards of the MA and then shuffle them again with The Fool. The place The Fool will lie in the line of the 13 cards shows what is already done, what is yet to do.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:23:12 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;33002
That sounds like it'd be a spread designed specifically to apply the characteristics of the Major Arcana.

I don't know it, but I believe I've heard the phrase "The Fool's Journey" used to refer to the "storyline" of the Major Arcana, so it's not much of a stretch to imagine a spread applying that to personal progress - yep, here it is at, surprise surprise, Joan Bunning's Learn Tarot site; no spread there, but otherwise very much geared toward the "personal progress of the individual" theme.

Sunflower

That link is alot like the one on aeclectictarot.com for learning the MA. :) I really appreciate you guys having so much about divinitary things on this site! :0 I've learned tarot quite awhile ago and left iot, so now it's kind of learning it all over again, but these links have made it so much better and easier-better even than the first time around!!! Sure beats just learning soley from the little white book.

Tags: