Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Newbie testing  (Read 6632 times)

JuliaG

• Greetings and Salutations!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Philosophical Taoist Polytheist Nature lover
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Newbie testing
« on: January 30, 2021, 09:55:31 am »

Hello if anybody’s looking!
Just trying this out! I have almost no idea how to use this forum. Poking around a lot.
Don’t know about the quoting rules or what that exactly means  cause the page is not found.    :-\

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Newbie testing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 12:03:35 pm »

Just trying this out! I have almost no idea how to use this forum. Poking around a lot.
Don’t know about the quoting rules or what that exactly means  cause the page is not found.    :-\

Hi JuliaG & welcome to TC! 

What link were you using to try to see the quoting rules? If you can let me know, we'll take a look at it staff-side.   

In the meantime, the quoting guidelines should be accessible here:  Quoting Guidelines

The short version: you should always hit the quote button when responding to a post (the very rare exceptions are listed in the guidelines).  If you're responding to a long passage, trim it down to the relevant section you're responding to, being sure to leave the bb codes intact (anything between the brackets []). 

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 12:04:48 pm »
If you're responding to a long passage, trim it down to the relevant section you're responding to

^ Example of a trimmed quote for reference.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

JuliaG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 03:15:54 pm »

The short version: you should always hit the quote button when responding to a post (the very rare exceptions are listed in the guidelines).  If you're responding to a long passage, trim it down to the relevant section you're responding to, being sure to leave the bb codes intact (anything between the brackets []). 

Ok thanks! Like that?
Do you use the insert quote button?

Are there any YouTube videos to help
Figure this forum software out? I’ve just never used this kind of format before. I used to WYSIWYG stuff. Or the more typical social media stuff.
Thanks!

JuliaG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 03:30:07 pm »
[What link were you using to try to see the quoting rules? If you can let me know, we'll take a look at it staff-side.  ]

I%u2019m sorry I%u2019m really not sure. I was all over the site trying to figure stuff out. It might%u2019ve been from the welcome post from Jenett? In the text of one of the paragraphs.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:31:58 pm by JuliaG »

JuliaG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 03:34:45 pm »
[What link were you using to try to see the quoting rules? If you can let me know, we'll take a look at it staff-side.  ]

I%u2019m sorry I%u2019m really not sure. I was all over the site trying to figure stuff out. It might%u2019ve been from the welcome post from Jenett? In the text of one of the paragraphs.

Well that didn’t work right... sigh
What’s the difference between an insert quote and quote button?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 03:49:57 pm »
Ok thanks! Like that?
Do you use the insert quote button?

Are there any YouTube videos to help
Figure this forum software out? I’ve just never used this kind of format before. I used to WYSIWYG stuff. Or the more typical social media stuff.
Thanks!

Yes, but quote the post you're replying to.

On each post, in the upper right, there's a button that says, 'Quote'. That will automatically generate a quote for your reply. 'Insert Quote' only applies after you have a reply box open; it's useful if you want to reply to more than one different post in your reply (we generally prefer you to make separate replies to each, since that usually makes the thread easier for people to follow, but very occasionally separating them makes it less easy to follow), or for correcting it if you've quoted the wrong thing or trimmed too much of the quote.

As far as I know there are no YouTube videos. You can ask specific questions in the Board Questions, Suggestions, and Feedback forum.

Aha, that 'Insert Quote' button - the one in the buttons above the reply box, that just shows a speech bubble and only says 'Insert Quote' when you mouse over it. (The one I mention above is the one found on each post in the Topic Summary that you see when you scroll down from your reply box.)

That will get you the square brackets, but it won't quote any particular post.

The button you want is the one in the upper right of the post you're replying to, that just says 'Quote'.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 03:51:32 pm »
You can ask specific questions in the Board Questions, Suggestions, and Feedback forum.

Oh, and, feel free to experiment all you like here in the Test Forum; that's what it's for!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

JuliaG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 09:06:05 am »
Oh, and, feel free to experiment all you like here in the Test Forum; that's what it's for!

Sunflower

Ok thanks for that info!

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 257
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal