collapse

Author Topic: Travel: Stonehenge with mobility issues  (Read 681 times)

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Stonehenge with mobility issues
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:51:24 pm »
My mom is taking a cruise (UK, Ireland and associated isles) and taking me along as her companion because otherwise she couldn't go.  She can't walk long distances or very fast, (she will use a wheelchair to go places, but she can walk from the door to the table in a restaurant and clinb into a bus with assistance, but uneven ground is very hard for her to walk over), and she desperately wants to go to see Stonehenge.  Can any one who has been there give me an idea of how feasible this is? 
Tx
Katrina
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:18:53 am by RandallS »
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Beryl

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Mar 2016
  • Posts: 77
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehenge with mobility issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:57:33 am »
Quote from: mandrina;202865
My mom is taking a cruise (UK, Ireland and associated isles) and taking me along as her companion because otherwise she couldn't go.  She can't walk long distances or very fast, (she will use a wheelchair to go places, but she can walk from the door to the table in a restaurant and clinb into a bus with assistance, but uneven ground is very hard for her to walk over), and she desperately wants to go to see Stonehenge.  Can any one who has been there give me an idea of how feasible this is?  
Tx
Katrina

 
I haven't been myself, but English Heritage's website  is pretty comprehensive (many points to them for including several different types of disability info!): http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/access#

"The main areas in and around car/coach parks, the visitor centre and the Stone Circle are accessible by wheelchair via tarmac and grass paths (subject to weather). The visitor shuttle carriages are also accessible. The wider landscape is not accessible to standard wheelchairs. Two wheelchairs are available to visitors on request at the admissions tills on a first come, first served basis. "

I would assume the wheelchairs available are really basic manual ones, not suitable for the 'wider landscape', but I would contact them to check. It might be possible to hire an 'off road' wheelchair somewhere nearby for the day, so that could be something to look into, if she would want to go 'off the beaten track' so to speak, but it sounds as though her main focus would be on accessing the Stone Circle, not wandering around some fields.

Dynes Hysbys

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Feb 2016
  • Location: Snowdonia
  • Posts: 263
  • Country: wales
  • Total likes: 53
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Stonehenge with mobility issues
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »
Quote from: Beryl;202873
I haven't been myself, but English Heritage's website  is pretty comprehensive (many points to them for including several different types of disability info!): http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/access#

"The main areas in and around car/coach parks, the visitor centre and the Stone Circle are accessible by wheelchair via tarmac and grass paths (subject to weather). The visitor shuttle carriages are also accessible. The wider landscape is not accessible to standard wheelchairs. Two wheelchairs are available to visitors on request at the admissions tills on a first come, first served basis. "

I would assume the wheelchairs available are really basic manual ones, not suitable for the 'wider landscape', but I would contact them to check. It might be possible to hire an 'off road' wheelchair somewhere nearby for the day, so that could be something to look into, if she would want to go 'off the beaten track' so to speak, but it sounds as though her main focus would be on accessing the Stone Circle, not wandering around some fields.


The "wider landscape" is rough, uneven and can be muddy. There can be sheep in the fields so they are fenced. It's been a while but I think you need to negotiate a kissing gate to get to the circus and the series of round barrows.

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehenge with mobility issues
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 06:05:57 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;202892
The "wider landscape" is rough, uneven and can be muddy. There can be sheep in the fields so they are fenced. It's been a while but I think you need to negotiate a kissing gate to get to the circus and the series of round barrows.

 
thanks to both of you.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
2434 Views
Last post October 24, 2011, 10:34:02 pm
by RandallS
13 Replies
2368 Views
Last post June 21, 2012, 10:10:59 am
by r2squared
3 Replies
974 Views
Last post January 24, 2013, 01:16:43 pm
by Laveth
2 Replies
776 Views
Last post January 27, 2013, 02:29:00 pm
by Revenant
6 Replies
1196 Views
Last post March 20, 2013, 06:40:45 pm
by Snowdrop

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall