collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017  (Read 6605 times)

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 09:28:10 am »
Quote from: Altair;200447
Back by popular demand!

Lots of us pagans (and non-pagans, too) want to be in better shape--because our path might regard the body as the ultimate temple, because it would allow us to better serve or honor our god(s), because we simply want to improve our health generally, or a host of other reasons--but our community seems too often to be heavy on the bookishness and light on the athleticism. Here's an attempt to rebalance that a bit.

No, we're not going to groom a horde of Schwarzeneggers (though if you're in that league, that's fine, too.) The idea is to use this thread as mutual encouragement to get us all to make incremental improvements in our fitness, no matter where we're starting from, and no matter what physical challenges we may face on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--

• Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.

• Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.

• Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!

END DATE for this iteration of the Fitness Challenge: March 21, 2017.

(The spring equinox, about 3 months from now. That will give us most of the winter, even after the inevitable gluttony and slacking of the holiday season, to get our act together.)

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."

I want my legs to be slimmer than they've always been. The problem is I'm obsessed with chocolate :eek:
I despertaely want to lose leg fat and stop feeling so tired.
I'm on thyroxin tablets as my thyroid gland was removed 3 years ago, since then I'm always tired. Before then I was fit and always up, walking, doing things. Now it's been impossible to stay awake for a whole day anymore. Not sure what excersises to help me stop being tired. I know that I must wean off chocolate and have trim legs.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:12 am »
Quote from: Altair;200447

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."

Hey, all

Would there be any difficulty if I were to start a similar thread in the Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG for those of us who have specific limitations?

Goal threads that focus on either reference numbers (weight loss, repetitions, etc.) or are about pushing exertion are both things that are actually bad for my health, but I'd love a place to support people and talk about it where I can participate, and I suspect I'm not alone in that particular set of preferences.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 10:25:42 am »
Quote from: Jenett;200867
Hey, all

Would there be any difficulty if I were to start a similar thread in the Chavi Memorial Chronic Illness SIG for those of us who have specific limitations?

Goal threads that focus on either reference numbers (weight loss, repetitions, etc.) or are about pushing exertion are both things that are actually bad for my health, but I'd love a place to support people and talk about it where I can participate, and I suspect I'm not alone in that particular set of preferences.

A new fitness thread for folks facing health challenges would be totally welcome, Jenett! The idea is to encourage folks to improve their fitness, and whether that happens here or elsewhere, I think we're all for it, as long as it happens.

And I hope everyone feels welcome here, no matter where you're coming from healthwise. Whether longtime competitive triathlete or dealing with long-term disabling medical issues, we ALL have room to improve, and that's what this thread is about,
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Alexeigynaix

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 10:29:10 am »
Quote from: Alexeigynaix;200607
Goal pt 1: Figure out a free indoors exercise varietal that I am willing to do. (This is probably going to involve, after I get my freaking living room clean, experimenting with a bunch of exercise Youtubes on my laptop. --I wonder if there's Irish-dance-for-beginners exercise Youtubes?)

Goal pt 2: Do that thing at least twice a week.

This works better when my lungs cooperate. /o\

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 10:33:40 am »
Quote from: Obsidia;200866
I want my legs to be slimmer than they've always been. The problem is I'm obsessed with chocolate :eek:
I'm on thyroxin tablets as my thyroid gland was removed 3 years ago, since then I'm always tired. Before then I was fit and always up, walking, doing things. Now it's been impossible to stay awake for a whole day anymore. Not sure what excersises to help me stop being tired. I know that I must wean off chocolate and have trim legs.

A fellow chocoholic here. I control it by going for intensity over quantity: I'll indulge periodically in the highest quality, richest, most sinful chocolate in a small burst, and then turn my nose up at the lesser stuff for days at a time. Cultivate your inner chocolate snob.

Can you think of a metric that will let you quantify your goal of slimmer legs?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 10:34:40 am »
Quote from: Obsidia;200866

I'd go back to your doctor and see about having your dose adjusted. I'm also on levothyroxine (autoimmune hypothyroid here, honestly it's been so long I doubt I have any thyroid left) and I felt like crap until my dose was raised. Same symptoms- tired all the time, I'd once or twice a week come home from school and just crash immediately and sleep til the next day. Since my dose was fixed I've been able to get by just fine with a normal sleep schedule of 7-8 hours a night and feel great. Just going from 112mcg to 125mcg made a world of difference.

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2017, 05:18:59 am »
Quote from: Altair;200871
A fellow chocoholic here. I control it by going for intensity over quantity: I'll indulge periodically in the highest quality, richest, most sinful chocolate in a small burst, and then turn my nose up at the lesser stuff for days at a time. Cultivate your inner chocolate snob.

Can you think of a metric that will let you quantify your goal of slimmer legs?

That chocolate idea sounds like a nice plan :)
Not sure about weight as mine doesn't tally with my appearance. I used to be very thin  but scales showed I was heavy and no one could believe it. My only idea was my bones are heavy. I've got large knees and big thighs.

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 05:20:12 am »
Quote from: Noctua;200873
I'd go back to your doctor and see about having your dose adjusted. I'm also on levothyroxine (autoimmune hypothyroid here, honestly it's been so long I doubt I have any thyroid left) and I felt like crap until my dose was raised. Same symptoms- tired all the time, I'd once or twice a week come home from school and just crash immediately and sleep til the next day. Since my dose was fixed I've been able to get by just fine with a normal sleep schedule of 7-8 hours a night and feel great. Just going from 112mcg to 125mcg made a world of difference.

I've been meaning to visit the doctor about it for ages but something comes up and I cancel those appointments. This time I'll definately make the appointment as it's affecting my daily life. Now I plan to go to bed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:20:52 am by Obsidia »

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 09:04:50 am »
Quote from: Obsidia;200923
That chocolate idea sounds like a nice plan :)
Not sure about weight as mine doesn't tally with my appearance. I used to be very thin  but scales showed I was heavy and no one could believe it. My only idea was my bones are heavy. I've got large knees and big thighs.

What about measuring the top of your thigh and using that as a metric? I find body measurements to be far better for my mental state than what the scale says - especially as, like you, I weigh much heavier than I look.
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 04:01:01 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;200939
What about measuring the top of your thigh and using that as a metric? I find body measurements to be far better for my mental state than what the scale says - especially as, like you, I weigh much heavier than I look.

Hi, that was a better metric way of doing this. Urgh not sure I feel confident enough saying on here what it was :( lol

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 04:37:55 pm »
Quote from: Obsidia;200952
Hi, that was a better metric way of doing this. Urgh not sure I feel confident enough saying on here what it was :( lol

You can always share your progress without sharing your actual number - you know, say you've lost an inch without having to say you started at x number of inches.
Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Polytheist, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Monastic, Druid, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: xe/hir/xem
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 04:09:43 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;200602
So I've set my workout days for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday, and I've now written them in my diary up til the equinox. It might seem like an odd selection of days, but I work (volunteer work) Tuesday and Wednesday, and I don't want to have to try to remember to exercise if it's been a busy day and I'm already exhausted. I want to give myself the best chance to succeed at this.

Well, that's my fourth workout done. I'm feeling pretty good about this. I've had a few achey muscles, but nothing that's stopped me functioning, so I'm happy about that. I'm also going to do use one workout to do knee strength work because my knees are dodgy af, and I would like to be able to tackle stairs without feeling like my knees are going to drop off. D:

I did weigh myself a few days ago, just so I had a baseline in my head, but I'm not going to bother monitoring it consistently. I might check in at the end of this challenge, just to see if there's been any change, but that's about it. I'm just about consistent workouts right now, and so far, I haven't missed any.

I'm also going to try to be more conscious of what I'm eating. I still live at home, and I don't really cook, so I don't have full control over what I eat, though my parents are pretty healthy cooks, so I don't worry about that. It's my own choices that I want to work on, and try not to just pick the stuff I want (chips), and find better food to eat, particularly at work. Though it would be easier to take lunch with me if I had more than just a fridge and a kettle, ffs. (My shop is very small, and our "lunch room/store room" is not much bigger than a fitting room. Yeah!)

So that's where I'm at for the moment.
Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 10:40:02 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;200958
You can always share your progress without sharing your actual number - you know, say you've lost an inch without having to say you started at x number of inches.

I agree with this...if you don't feel comfortable sharing, you can just share that you measured!

For me, I'm biting the bullet and sharing numbers...part of my own process of owning where I am at.  I measured at the start of the week (Sunday actually....using a new calendar system, so adding measurements when I make up my weekly spread).  This is all in inches, and I added the calf measurement because hubby got me a lovely new pair of boots that are quite tight around the calf, and I'd like to see how that changes and hopefully get to where I can wear them more comfortably (and curious how much of that will be the boots stretching versus my calf shrinking)

Calf:  18
Thigh:  30
Hips:  51
Waist:  41
Bust:  47
Arm:  14.5

I tried to measure as best I could, and will try to keep measuring consistently once a week.  Have also managed to do a yoga routine every day....being part of the 31 day challenge I joined helps (I don't want to fall behind!).  Am on the last days of a cold, but also hitting the hard part of my month, so will probably stick to just the yoga (they are about 30 minute routines) for another week maybe, but eventually would like to add in some other stuff on top of the yoga (or instead of once the challenge ends).
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 04:02:13 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;201000
Well, that's my fourth workout done. I'm feeling pretty good about this. I've had a few achey muscles, but nothing that's stopped me functioning, so I'm happy about that.

and

Quote from: Kylara;201013
Have also managed to do a yoga routine every day....being part of the 31 day challenge I joined helps (I don't want to fall behind!).  Am on the last days of a cold, but also hitting the hard part of my month, so will probably stick to just the yoga (they are about 30 minute routines) for another week maybe, but eventually would like to add in some other stuff on top of the yoga (or instead of once the challenge ends).

Beautiful, Sobekemiti & Kylara! It sounds like you're not only doing the workouts, but enjoying them/how you feel after them. Which is fantabulous.

I too have a cold, so I've laid off the gym and running for a bit. However, I've also relocated to Southern California for the month--I despise winter and was able to arrange this getaway with my job allowing me to work remotely--and I'm using the change of locale to shake up the routine and bad eating habits. Plus I'm much more active here, since I'm outdoors so much, than I would be in wintry NYC.

And most of all: I don't drive! Try existing in SoCal when you don't drive. What I DO have is a bike, and I use it to get everywhere. So that's also boosting my calorie usage.

So no waistline measurements yet, but between the better eating and the greater activity, I'm confident I'm at least holding the line while I mend from this cold. And once I'm back to weightlifting and running again, I should be able to whittle away at the waist.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2017, 09:46:04 am »
Quote from: Altair;201022

I too have a cold, so I've laid off the gym and running for a bit. However, I've also relocated to Southern California for the month--I despise winter and was able to arrange this getaway with my job allowing me to work remotely--and I'm using the change of locale to shake up the routine and bad eating habits. Plus I'm much more active here, since I'm outdoors so much, than I would be in wintry NYC.

And most of all: I don't drive! Try existing in SoCal when you don't drive. What I DO have is a bike, and I use it to get everywhere. So that's also boosting my calorie usage.

It's always hard when you're sick to balance taking care of yourself and keeping up with your goals!  And way to go taking advantage of your getaway to break up old habits!  It can definitely be easier to do things differently when you're not around your regular places.

No car is definitely a challenge.  I have family in CA, and though I do drive, I don't when I'm visiting...and my family is pretty big on walking so I do a ton out there.  Bike is a great way to get around and get extra exercise in!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: