Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017  (Read 11858 times)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2017, 08:56:48 am »
Quote from: Kylara;203300
Check in

So, I feel like I have definitely neglected a check-in or two here, but never fear, I have not missed a day yet. Even if I have had to skip a Monday a couple of times because it's been ridiculously hot, I've still kept my three times a week workout schedule, so I'm happy about that. It's definitely slotted into my regular routine, which is always a good thing, so I'm confident about keeping this going, and working on my fitness for the rest of the year.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

DrgnflySpirit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2017, 11:58:43 am »
Good day everyone,

I just found this thread and I have a lot of catching up to do!  I'm barely on post 5,  I've been trying to get friends to do this with me for years.  OK have a couple of questions/requests that may have already been asked so I apologize in advance but I like you am very busy and I have 15 pages to get to know you all.

1.  Are any of you using My Fitness Pal,  or is there a group on MFP?

2. Are you using a fitness program like  s health or activity program that interacts with different OS and trackers?

I was just getting ready to go jump on the treadmill.  My bike buddy moved briefly and we got out of the habit.  I was logging 20-30 miles per week biking.  And stopped the treadmill.  So I got out of the habit of routine exercise.

My goal weight is 155 I bounce between 159(once)!  And 166 :-(  I lost 30 lbs over 5 years ago😀 and need to drop the last 10😣

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2017, 06:12:46 pm »
Quote from: DrgnflySpirit;203335
Good day everyone,

I just found this thread and I have a lot of catching up to do!  

Welcome, DrgnflySpirit! It's *never* too late...for fitness! (OMG, did I really just write that? Did you like the dramatic pause?)

But seriously, though we have just about 3 weeks to go with this challenge, that's plenty of time to start forming some good habits.

2. Are you using a fitness program like  s health or activity program that interacts with different OS and trackers?

1. & 2. Not me.

I was just getting ready to go jump on the treadmill.  My bike buddy moved briefly and we got out of the habit.  I was logging 20-30 miles per week biking.  And stopped the treadmill.  So I got out of the habit of routine exercise.

My goal weight is 155 I bounce between 159(once)!  And 166 :-(  I lost 30 lbs over 5 years ago😀 and need to drop the last 10😣

It sounds like you already have a base of fitness and healthy practices to start from. All the better.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2017, 06:14:29 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203332
So, I feel like I have definitely neglected a check-in or two here, but never fear, I have not missed a day yet. Even if I have had to skip a Monday a couple of times because it's been ridiculously hot, I've still kept my three times a week workout schedule, so I'm happy about that. It's definitely slotted into my regular routine, which is always a good thing, so I'm confident about keeping this going, and working on my fitness for the rest of the year.

That's awesome, Sobekemiti! That's exactly the result this thread is hopefully going to produce for many of us.

OK, everyone--we're in the home stretch!

Personally I'm doubling down on the diet, slashing carbs like crazy to get that stubborn last 1/2-inch (at least) off my waistline. Yesterday my sum total of complex carbs was a bowl of oatmeal in the morning; what little other carbs came from incidental sources (the carbs found along with the heaps of protein I eat, in the glass of wine I had at the end of the day, etc.)

Failure is not an option.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

DrgnflySpirit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2017, 10:14:54 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203347
Welcome, DrgnflySpirit! It's *never* too late...for fitness! (OMG, did I really just write that? Did you like the dramatic pause?)

TYX💜

But seriously, though we have just about 3 weeks to go with this challenge, that's plenty of time to start forming some good habits.

Oh no!  Does that mean this thread is ending in 3 weeks?

1. & 2. Not me.

It sounds like you already have a base of fitness and healthy practices to start from. All the better.

I had a good base. I lost momentum over the holidays.  My riding partner took a 3 month break from her husband

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2017, 10:07:18 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203332

Brilliant!  Sounds like things are going really great for you...good job!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2017, 10:09:20 am »
Quote from: Altair;203348

Personally I'm doubling down on the diet, slashing carbs like crazy to get that stubborn last 1/2-inch (at least) off my waistline. Yesterday my sum total of complex carbs was a bowl of oatmeal in the morning; what little other carbs came from incidental sources (the carbs found along with the heaps of protein I eat, in the glass of wine I had at the end of the day, etc.)

Failure is not an option.

It's kind of crazy all the things that carbs are in!  I've had good results with an almost no carb diet before....but it's ridiculously expensive where I live (partially because our groceries are not so good on stocking veg/fruit that is worth eating) and would be pretty boring (again, our groceries are horrible if you want real food and not just packaged junk)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:00 am »
Quote from: DrgnflySpirit;203335
Good day everyone,

I just found this thread and I have a lot of catching up to do!  I'm barely on post 5,  I've been trying to get friends to do this with me for years.  OK have a couple of questions/requests that may have already been asked so I apologize in advance but I like you am very busy and I have 15 pages to get to know you all.

Welcome :)

I don't use any kind of fitness tracker or program.  Right now I'm using a bullet journal inspired personal calendar, so I track my fitness in there (both in a daily and weekly way).

It's definitely easier with other people to cheer you on!

DrgnflySpirit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2017, 10:16:09 am »
Quote from: Kylara;203369
It's kind of crazy all the things that carbs are in!  I've had good results with an almost no carb diet before....but it's ridiculously expensive where I live (partially because our groceries are not so good on stocking veg/fruit that is worth eating) and would be pretty boring (again, our groceries are horrible if you want real food and not just packaged junk)
That's how I lost my 30 pounds low carb,  I tried to keep it under 15 bdm a day total.  let me tell you I was eating a lot of eggs just because I needed to do more research and find out what I could eat. I also  remember eating a lot of nuts literally had no good carbs that I could have eaten other than the veg the few vegetables but this time around I'm trying to go moderation I'm going to try to eat healthy and still keep the carbs as low as I can. Sorry for the run on sentences I'm using Google to type and I haven't learned how to use punctuation with my voice input.

DrgnflySpirit

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2017, 10:18:57 am »
Quote from: Kylara;203370
Welcome :)

I don't use any kind of fitness tracker or program.  Right now I'm using a bullet journal inspired personal calendar, so I track my fitness in there (both in a daily and weekly way).

It's definitely easier with other people to cheer you on!
Is this thread actually ending in March I'm totally bummed I thought I had until March to sign up and it was going to go through December so bummed. anyway I'm glad that everyone else here has found some success and maintaining their exercise regime. At least I'm still doing my 5 miles a day with my fitness tracker I have a Samsung Gear watch that tracks all of my data and import it into fitness pal

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2017, 01:37:40 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203016
And I say "so far" because we've got ONE MONTH TO GO, PEOPLE! Plenty of time yet, but time to get serious and FOCUS.

Less than three weeks now.

In years past, I'd be going, 'zomg, only three weeks left, and I still haven't [insert intermediate goal]'. It feels good to have no final goal, just putting one foot in front of the other. In Warrior I, natch.

I've been turning up diligently for class, except the week Storm Doris was raging, when I stayed home to revise, rather than brave the distance to uni and risk getting stranded. I was good and did home sessions on both days, though not as long as the actual class. I like the push of the group.

So I'm keeping up the habit. Some poses have improved dramatically, others not so much, if at all. But I like what this is doing for me. The real challenge will come once allergy season hits.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2017, 12:59:48 pm »
Quote from: DrgnflySpirit;203372
Is this thread actually ending in March I'm totally bummed I thought I had until March to sign up and it was going to go through December so bummed. anyway I'm glad that everyone else here has found some success and maintaining their exercise regime. At least I'm still doing my 5 miles a day with my fitness tracker I have a Samsung Gear watch that tracks all of my data and import it into fitness pal

We could possibly do another one...or extend this one...if people are interested?

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2017, 01:01:03 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;203375
Less than three weeks now.

In years past, I'd be going, 'zomg, only three weeks left, and I still haven't [insert intermediate goal]'. It feels good to have no final goal, just putting one foot in front of the other. In Warrior I, natch.

I've been turning up diligently for class, except the week Storm Doris was raging, when I stayed home to revise, rather than brave the distance to uni and risk getting stranded. I was good and did home sessions on both days, though not as long as the actual class. I like the push of the group.

So I'm keeping up the habit. Some poses have improved dramatically, others not so much, if at all. But I like what this is doing for me. The real challenge will come once allergy season hits.

Good job!  Ugh allergies, yeah that is not a fun time.  Perhaps you can use that time to try different things and see if there are activities that work for you when allergies are flaring up?

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2017, 05:03:56 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;203394
We could possibly do another one...or extend this one...if people are interested?

I see no reason why we couldn't (or shouldn't) do a round 2 between the equinox and the solstice- after all those who won't quite reach their goals- like myself- would love to come back and try again, while I'm sure those that have reached their goals would benefit from keeping up the momentum as well as maybe setting new, higher goals. :)

So anyway, again I haven't "officially" worked out this week, but I did get in some gardening again. This week I had 3 tests in 2 days (UGH) so I was a wee bit preoccupied, but tomorrow I'll be planting the 3 trees that came mail-order so that will definitely help me get my heart rate up.

I also signed up for an "Alternative Spring Break" program at my school, so during the week I'm out of class (March 13-17) I'll be spending 3 days doing community service projects in various locations where I live. Two of those 3 days are spent helping out in a community garden in one of our local food deserts, and doing cleanup and trail restoration at one of our city parks, so I'll be getting a workout in that week for sure. ;)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2017, 09:06:56 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;203396
I see no reason why we couldn't (or shouldn't) do a round 2 between the equinox and the solstice- after all those who won't quite reach their goals- like myself- would love to come back and try again, while I'm sure those that have reached their goals would benefit from keeping up the momentum as well as maybe setting new, higher goals. :)

We've done that in the past, yes! Sometimes it works; other times, I think a bit of "challenge fatigue" sets in, and to keep the fitness challenges effective it's better to knock off for a little while. That's one reason why this is the first time we've done this in a while.

But it sounds like it's working well, that you guys are interested in a Round 2, and that we even have some new interest. So why not? Keep your eyes on the coming equinox, but get ready with fresh determination and new goals for the solstice.

Tags: