Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017  (Read 9125 times)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2017, 12:38:35 am »
Quote from: Kylara;205677
That is always a fun problem to have (when your workouts start getting easier).  I'm a toss up when it comes to workouts.  I want to be familiar enough that I am not spending have the time trying to figure out what I am supposed to be doing (instead of actually doing it), but I also need to change it up enough that I'm not getting bored doing the same thing all the time.

I'm actually looking forward to trying a whole bunch of new things, now that I have a better sense of what I need to work on, and see if I can push myself a little harder. I like routine, but I also like having some variety for when life throws curve balls at you.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2017, 02:42:54 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;205678

Hubby noticed me measuring today, and asked what I was doing (amusingly not the first time he has asked that very question this year), and he was like "You're beautiful, you don't need to change", which is always lovely to hear....but I still plan on keeping with the measuring because I like seeing how the things I do pan out :P

The manfriend has noticed that I am stricter with my diet and goes out of his way to tell me he thinks I'm beautiful. He's very sweet, but I'm like, I still want to do this for me.  I like working out. I like running. I just haven't been able to the past few years.

*Fun fact about MeadowRae-I was kind of a she-beast in high school. I threw Shotput and disk and started lifting weights at 13.  

That being said, I did eat pizza for lunch today. I didn't feel awesome about it, but I haven't been slipping up much so I guess it won't hurt. I have had to step up my workouts, too, which makes me happy.

I haven't been progressing much on distance when it comes to running because I honestly don't know where to find time to do it. I run/workout on my lunch breaks, and I have a total of 20 minutes to get things done. I run in the mornings sometimes, too, but I only have about 35 minutes after I drop off my son at daycare. I don't run very fast, so that's not really enough time to get in a 5k. I'm thinking of doing a long run on Saturday when the manfriend can watch my son.

Overall, good problems to have. I will measure again in a few weeks.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2017, 11:40:13 am »
Quote from: MeadowRae;205848
The manfriend has noticed that I am stricter with my diet and goes out of his way to tell me he thinks I'm beautiful. He's very sweet, but I'm like, I still want to do this for me.  I like working out. I like running. I just haven't been able to the past few years.

*Fun fact about MeadowRae-I was kind of a she-beast in high school. I threw Shotput and disk and started lifting weights at 13.  

That being said, I did eat pizza for lunch today. I didn't feel awesome about it, but I haven't been slipping up much so I guess it won't hurt. I have had to step up my workouts, too, which makes me happy.

I haven't been progressing much on distance when it comes to running because I honestly don't know where to find time to do it. I run/workout on my lunch breaks, and I have a total of 20 minutes to get things done. I run in the mornings sometimes, too, but I only have about 35 minutes after I drop off my son at daycare. I don't run very fast, so that's not really enough time to get in a 5k. I'm thinking of doing a long run on Saturday when the manfriend can watch my son.

Overall, good problems to have. I will measure again in a few weeks.

I'm right there with you about outside appreciation!  It is absolutely wonderful, but I am doing this for me and because I want these changes in my life (which amusingly enough is typically why I shave my legs...it's not about other people, It's just that I like how it feels).

I threw discus in middle school!  And was one of our track team's long distance runner (I did 2 mile, because that was the longest thing we did)

Finding time can definitely be tricky, sounds like your plan of adding in a longer run on the weekend might work.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2017, 07:35:58 am »
Quote from: MeadowRae;205848

I'd imagine that you're still making a lot of progress even with just your short runs, so that when you do manage to find the time for longer runs you'll already have a good head start on things just due to consistently practicing in bursts. DHHS guidelines are to aim for 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise a week, 75 minutes of vigorous aerobics. If you're doing 20 minutes each lunch break that's 100 of the 150 right there, and that's me assuming you're not breaking too much of a sweat since you need to go back to work after- if you're really sweating it counts as vigorous and you're surpassing the goal. ;)

As for myself, I haven't updated but I have been working. Last weekend I got my workout in by resetting my sun patio- a 6'x5' square of concrete tiles in my lawn where I have an Adirondack chair, end table, and several unruly plants that need to be confined to potted prisons such as horseradish. It was getting overwhelmed with quackgrass growing up between the tiles so I moved everything off, pulled up all 30 of the concrete tiles, dug out the quackgrass rhizomes, put down a double layer of weedblock fabric, and put the tiles back.

This weekend my project was to work on the bed right next to the patio. I had a 2-foot wide strip of grass left between said patio and the rose bed I have on the fenceline I wanted to get rid of. I took a slightly different tactic than I usually do, since I wanted to fill that space with lavender and that plant doesn't like wet feet. So I basically dug out all the sod, set it aside, dug out 4-6 inches of the soil under the sod, and flipped their places, with the sod (roots up) on the bottom of the hole and the soil on top. Mixed compost into said soil, and planted the lavender into the now slightly raised mound I'd created. The sod underneath should decompose nicely and make nice loamy soil about 12 inches deep. I didn't completely finish (only about 4 feet of the 6 feet done so far) but I know I definitely got my workout in because I'm super sore from it today. :)

And I just realized my exercise talk is more like garden talk, LOL. You can tell what really gets my motor going!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2017, 10:54:16 am »
Quote from: Noctua;205899
I'd imagine that you're still making a lot of progress even with just your short runs, so that when you do manage to find the time for longer runs you'll already have a good head start on things just due to consistently practicing in bursts. DHHS guidelines are to aim for 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise a week, 75 minutes of vigorous aerobics. If you're doing 20 minutes each lunch break that's 100 of the 150 right there, and that's me assuming you're not breaking too much of a sweat since you need to go back to work after- if you're really sweating it counts as vigorous and you're surpassing the goal. ;)

As for myself, I haven't updated but I have been working. Last weekend I got my workout in by resetting my sun patio- a 6'x5' square of concrete tiles in my lawn where I have an Adirondack chair, end table, and several unruly plants that need to be confined to potted prisons such as horseradish. It was getting overwhelmed with quackgrass growing up between the tiles so I moved everything off, pulled up all 30 of the concrete tiles, dug out the quackgrass rhizomes, put down a double layer of weedblock fabric, and put the tiles back.

This weekend my project was to work on the bed right next to the patio. I had a 2-foot wide strip of grass left between said patio and the rose bed I have on the fenceline I wanted to get rid of. I took a slightly different tactic than I usually do, since I wanted to fill that space with lavender and that plant doesn't like wet feet. So I basically dug out all the sod, set it aside, dug out 4-6 inches of the soil under the sod, and flipped their places, with the sod (roots up) on the bottom of the hole and the soil on top. Mixed compost into said soil, and planted the lavender into the now slightly raised mound I'd created. The sod underneath should decompose nicely and make nice loamy soil about 12 inches deep. I didn't completely finish (only about 4 feet of the 6 feet done so far) but I know I definitely got my workout in because I'm super sore from it today. :)

And I just realized my exercise talk is more like garden talk, LOL. You can tell what really gets my motor going!

That is awesome though!  I love when something active is also something that someone is really passionate about.  And I didn't realize that horseradish needed to be kept in a pot.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2017, 10:58:27 am »
Quote from: Altair;203437
Check in

I did a whole bunch of nothing last week.  It was my birthday, and I just was feeling very uninspired, so by Wednesday, when I had gotten nothing done (and hubby was going to be off the rest of the week, so I knew chances were less that I would do things), I just decided to take the week off.

I did eat my fruit 4 times a week though!

Measurements:
calf- 18
thigh- 29.5
hips- 50
waist- 42
bust- 45
arm- 14

So a net of +1, which isn't bad.  I have been looking over the past couple of weeks though, and I've been sitting at 0 or gaining a small amount, so I definitely need to get more serious with the working out.  I'm feeling at that place though where I am very uninspired (though I am also slightly under the weather at the moment so that doesn't help)  But I'll get back to it!

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:55 pm »
Check in

A week past our deadline, and I finally make it back to this thread. I can't say I'm surprised; I always hesitate to commit to a spring challenge because my all-birding, all-the-time schedule for 6 weeks throws my usual routines and regimens into disarray.

But at least knowing I'd eventually have to report back here helped, in that I finished the spring at about the same waistline I entered it, which given my time constraints that time of year is an accomplishment. Now it's all about looking good for the guys for beach season!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »
A week past our deadline, and I finally make it back to this thread. I can't say I'm surprised; I always hesitate to commit to a spring challenge because my all-birding, all-the-time schedule for 6 weeks throws my usual routines and regimens into disarray.

But at least knowing I'd eventually have to report back here helped, in that I finished the spring at about the same waistline I entered it, which given my time constraints that time of year is an accomplishment. Now it's all about looking good for the guys for beach season!

I ran into some personal issues around the time the forum outage/swap happened...and really haven't gotten back on track.  Been keeping up with my measuring and that's about it.  And then last month I did something to my thumb, so my left hand has been more or less out of commission since then.  Been wearing a brace about 23 hours a day for the past two weeks which leaves me less able to do a lot of things.

On the plus side, my measurements haven't slipped that much, which I find both encouraging (because I can start up again from about where I stopped) and discouraging (it's hard to feel motivated to do more when doing nothing doesn't change things much).

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2017, 11:17:05 pm »
I ran into some personal issues around the time the forum outage/swap happened...and really haven't gotten back on track.  Been keeping up with my measuring and that's about it.  And then last month I did something to my thumb, so my left hand has been more or less out of commission since then.  Been wearing a brace about 23 hours a day for the past two weeks which leaves me less able to do a lot of things.

On the plus side, my measurements haven't slipped that much, which I find both encouraging (because I can start up again from about where I stopped) and discouraging (it's hard to feel motivated to do more when doing nothing doesn't change things much).

I ... yeah. May was an awful month in terms of doing things, and everything fell apart. It was a Hermit month I did need, but it never turned into exercising. I have comprehensively failed. But I'm okay with that. I'm hoping to get back into it this month, even if it's just a few short bits a week. I know I need to move more, but of course it's winter, and it's cold and wet and exercising is hard. So that's where I am, and how life took me in other directions.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »
I ... yeah. May was an awful month in terms of doing things, and everything fell apart. It was a Hermit month I did need, but it never turned into exercising. I have comprehensively failed. But I'm okay with that. I'm hoping to get back into it this month, even if it's just a few short bits a week. I know I need to move more, but of course it's winter, and it's cold and wet and exercising is hard. So that's where I am, and how life took me in other directions.

I think it is important to take time when we need to...and sometimes that means not doing the active things part of us thinks we should be doing.

I'm sort of lucky (or cursed lol) in that when I am inactive for too long, my body starts to ache and physically bother me.  It sort of encourages me to be more active by hurting when I'm not (two edged sword and all).  Definitely starting to feel the need to do more again, just trying to figure out a way to do that without aggravating my current injuries.

Tags: