Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Recently Blogged  (Read 171172 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Recently Blogged
« Reply #735 on: June 21, 2020, 04:55:22 pm »
It's nearly midnight and I've finally managed to post about the first full hour of my day: Solstice Sunrise.

I too have blogged a bit about the solstice and what I got up to in my latest post Equinoxes, Solstices, Cross-Quarter Days and Esbats (though I must confess I only included esbats in the title for the little bit of almost-alliteration it provides!)

It's early (again) if I'm aiming for weekly (or even, originally, fortnightly!) posts, but as mentioned in the blog inspiration struck a little bit.  (I'm now probably going to give myself a little break for a week or two --or possibly even three-- and finish off the next post more gradually.)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #736 on: June 24, 2020, 01:10:41 pm »
Thank you and yes, of course. 

It's nearly midnight and I've finally managed to post about the first full hour of my day: Solstice Sunrise.

This was lovely, thanks for bringing us along!

I too have blogged a bit about the solstice and what I got up to in my latest post Equinoxes, Solstices, Cross-Quarter Days and Esbats (though I must confess I only included esbats in the title for the little bit of almost-alliteration it provides!)

It's early (again) if I'm aiming for weekly (or even, originally, fortnightly!) posts, but as mentioned in the blog inspiration struck a little bit.  (I'm now probably going to give myself a little break for a week or two --or possibly even three-- and finish off the next post more gradually.)

I'm kind of right there with you when it comes to Esbats...I like the moon, I work with the moon...I don't hold formal rituals for the full (or new) moon.  I think that if I were in an established group who had the luxury of being able to meet multiple times a month, it would be really neat to do (at least for a year or two), but we are lucky to meet for the Sabbats, Esbats are completely out of our reach!

So, my blog post for this week was actually inspired by getting my hair cut (which was an interesting process...they were very safety conscious at the beauty school, it was nice, since most of the rest of my town seems to be trying to ignore that there is anything going on).  For context:  I get physically bothered by my hair as it grows, and when it's long it literally weighs on me and makes both my waking hours and my sleeping ones harder (yes, if my hair isn't in the 'right' position when I sleep it hurts *sigh). 

But anyways, I wrote about how being Different isn't wrong because I think it's something that a lot of us struggle with, especially when it comes to learning new spiritual things.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2020, 04:29:52 pm »
  For context:  I get physically bothered by my hair as it grows, and when it's long it literally weighs on me and makes both my waking hours and my sleeping ones harder (yes, if my hair isn't in the 'right' position when I sleep it hurts *sigh). 

I thought I was the only person with that issue. If the pandemic teaches me nothing else, I've learned to cut my own hair. I get bad headaches and tend to get easily overheated if I don't keep my hair very short in the summer. Since I'm doing the stay-at-home thing until the pandemic passes, it was either learn to cut it or shave it all bald (or be slowly driven batshit by it).

I've managed another post this week, inspired by Geosmin's Phobias and Paganism thread:  Forward Through Fear.   

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 01, 2020, 08:05:39 am »
I've managed another post this week, inspired by Geosmin's Phobias and Paganism thread:  Forward Through Fear.

That was a very evocative read.

I've blogged again (I think I'm a blogaholic now!) - this one talks about the appeal of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, so may have some small relevance for those struggling with extreme phobias (though I'm afraid it's a bit rambly).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 01, 2020, 02:57:54 pm »
I thought I was the only person with that issue. If the pandemic teaches me nothing else, I've learned to cut my own hair. I get bad headaches and tend to get easily overheated if I don't keep my hair very short in the summer. Since I'm doing the stay-at-home thing until the pandemic passes, it was either learn to cut it or shave it all bald (or be slowly driven batshit by it).

Amusingly, I would be quite happy fully shaving my head again (I have done this a couple of times...well fully buzz shaven, I never went to razor-bald)...but my hair right now is a compromise.  Hubby loves me with longer hair, and I actually like playing with longer hair (I do like being able to DO stuff with my hair), but I keep the back buzzed very short, with just longer around the ears, so it's cool and easy and doesn't hurt (mostly). 

I really liked your blog, I think that sometimes figuring out how to just make it through the worst times is a super-skill, and it's one of those things that may look like absolutely nothing on the outside, but it does wipe you out on the inside.

I've blogged again (I think I'm a blogaholic now!) - this one talks about the appeal of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, so may have some small relevance for those struggling with extreme phobias (though I'm afraid it's a bit rambly).

I had not heard of DBT, but I absolutely relate to both not being officially diagnosed with anything, and struggling with general anxiety (with a few more specific spikes inside it), and how it makes you think about (and question)...everything.

My own blog post for the week is sort of a call to action, but I really think that there isn't just one way to answer the call, and it is up to each of us to figure out how we can best bear ourmagical responsibility

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 05, 2020, 12:42:52 pm »

Thank you! 

I can see the appeal of DBT.  I'd seen the term but hadn't delved into it. A lot of what it encompasses have been things that I've done as an organic process along my path as well as in navigating through mental health issues. Will be adding it to my ever-growing list of things to research.

I really liked your blog, I think that sometimes figuring out how to just make it through the worst times is a super-skill, and it's one of those things that may look like absolutely nothing on the outside, but it does wipe you out on the inside.

It feels like a super-skill, but only after I've come out the other side of whatever is happening.  Mostly, during the process, it feels like a whole lot of "OMG, we're all going to die!", followed by incoherent mental mumblings.

I can relate to your post. Being stuck at home during this crisis has had me feeling like I must do something.  Now is not the time to sit on our collective behinds, that's for certain.

Somewhat related, I've rambled this week about dust clouds, dreams, and elementary physics just to come to the conclusion that I need to not sit on my behind right now:  Faster Than Sound

Neil deGrasse Tyson

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 05, 2020, 05:24:46 pm »
Thank you! 

You're so welcome!

Somewhat related, I've rambled this week about dust clouds, dreams, and elementary physics just to come to the conclusion that I need to not sit on my behind right now:  Faster Than Sound

And this one was equally evocative, and thought provoking to boot.

I went in for a simpler blog topic this time, being a very brief intro to 'fork theory' (a kind of spin-off from spoon theory), with bonus tree photos.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 08, 2020, 02:32:15 pm »

I love this!  And I think the ideas of not only sound sometimes not having substance, but also being mindful of what noise we are repeating back into the world, is really powerful and worth thinking about.

I went in for a simpler blog topic this time, being a very brief intro to 'fork theory' (a kind of spin-off from spoon theory), with bonus tree photos.

Fork theory (and spoon theory) are really useful, and I love how the word fork is close to that other word we use when frustrated...but I do think it's very useful mental imagery to consider how many forks we are carrying and what we can do to remove some when possible (especially when you know you are about to pick up some more, and you don't want to break).

This week, I sort of rambled about Magicing the science and how getting both parts of your brain working together is the ideal. 

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 15, 2020, 03:33:07 pm »
This week, I sort of rambled about Magicing the science and how getting both parts of your brain working together is the ideal.

I think it's going to be near impossible for me to avoid current events inspired topics this year.  This week, I got thinking about The Challenge of Transition and how we are all basically being pushed to a new way of life (as it is definitely starting to look like this isn't just a temporary thing to 'get over').

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 15, 2020, 03:42:52 pm »

Those are some good points in your latest post (and not at all rambly, I think).

I've written some mini-reviews of some Gizmos and Gadgetry which I've tried out in hopes of alleviating chronic health issues (some of which may have already been briefly mentioned in a similarly titled thread I started a while back).

I sort of wished I'd waited a little longer before publishing this post this past weekend, as I've just received deliveries of a couple more items including an acupressure mat and (it could totally just be the placebo effect) I already feel a bit better than I did before after just one use yesterday evening.

Anyway you can read the existing mini-reviews of things like my mini SAD lamp and and rather bizarrely named 'nodger' in my latest post.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 15, 2020, 07:43:37 pm »
I think it's going to be near impossible for me to avoid current events inspired topics this year.  This week, I got thinking about The Challenge of Transition and how we are all basically being pushed to a new way of life (as it is definitely starting to look like this isn't just a temporary thing to 'get over').

Current events are rather hard to ignore, aren't they?  You've got some good points in your post.  Agreed that we're not going to be able to go back to the world that we had.

I've written some mini-reviews of some Gizmos and Gadgetry which I've tried out in hopes of alleviating chronic health issues (some of which may have already been briefly mentioned in a similarly titled thread I started a while back).

That's awesome that you're getting good results with your SAD lamp.  I had to give up on the idea of using one - my face breaks out in a rash after a couple of minutes.   Nothing like fixing one problem and causing a different one!

I posted this weekend but forgot to update here. Not entirely happy with this one. It didn't quite come together as well on the page as it did in my head, but it's a start: What We Raise & Raze

[Edited to fix link - SP]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:53:52 pm by SunflowerP »

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 19, 2020, 08:00:00 pm »
I posted this weekend but forgot to update here. Not entirely happy with this one. It didn't quite come together as well on the page as it did in my head, but it's a start: What We Raise & Raze

This week's ramble is about shedding what's not necessary:  Got Baggage?

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 22, 2020, 04:02:21 pm »

Love this!  I adore seeing actual people talk about what works...and what doesn't work.  I would much rather try stuff that someone has recommended, and I always listen to downsides (sometimes they don't apply to me, but sometimes I know that a thing that bugged someone else will bug me!)

((your link to this one is broken somehow...I followed the link to your other post and found it through there))

I like the idea that the actions of our ancestors are present in our lives, but not necessarily an influence.  It kind of reminds me of the idea that people who have lived through traumatic experiences are absolutely changed by them, but using them as an excuse (and not trying to work on any bad behaviors that grew out of the trauma) is a choice of it's own.

This is a great idea, to unpack our practice!  I don't do it formally, but I often check in with what I am doing (particularly regular, repeated practices), and let go of those that aren't serving me anymore.

So...I had to write about the whole Cursing the Moon and the Fae thing.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #748 on: July 22, 2020, 07:54:47 pm »
((your link to this one is broken somehow...I followed the link to your other post and found it through there))

Fixed now!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #749 on: July 23, 2020, 06:01:23 pm »

Took a while but I'm back with a new blog post.
It's been a while of soul searching ( I notice I'm not the only one. It's nice reading the posts on here because they all make me stop and think ).
My question for myself today is - https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/07/23/who-am-i/

Tags: