collapse

Author Topic: Recently Blogged  (Read 171233 times)

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Fencraft: Seekers of the Landweird
  • Religion: Fencraft (Pagan animism/trad witchcraft/cunning craft/folklore)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
Re: Recently Blogged
« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2020, 08:00:34 am »
I really like this quote, "One cannot really succeed or fail at the Practices – do not make them a stick to beat yourself or others with."  I also love how you talk about accessibility and the different ways in which you can approach the practices.

Thank you - I think it's a good match for a lot of pagan value sets, if that makes sense. An alternative to a human-centric mindset where you're always supposed to be accomplishing things, improving at things, accumulating more things; instead you just focus on being, and being ok with where you're at. You can't be a bad ecosystem or a bad tree or a bad otter, if that makes sense, so the values of (nature-centric animism, at least) should be the values one learns from the landscape. Rather than imposing a human value system.

A big part of my motivation in creating my own thing is that I find a lot of available pagan material inaccessible, so that was the original push.

I really, really like a good to-do list, and I also love the structure/pedantry in ceremonial traditions, but...so much of the writing coming out of this zone is just hideous. From statements misunderstanding mental illness ("If you have any kind of mental illness, it's just like having schizophrenia {which I also do not understand anything about except what I've seen in movies}, and you can't do any kind of magic until you Get Well"), to a complete lack of empathy for people who are struggling ("The only way to do anything is 20 minutes of meditation every day, and if you can't do this then you just don't want it enough, and that's your personal failing"), and finally, a good dose of free market capitalist logic ("If you work harder, you'll do better. Everything is personal responsibility and under your personal control. So if you are ill, or struggling, or disadvantaged, it's probably your fault") which is a mindset without much room for the disabled.

So yeah; I like a good Daily To Do List, so I've made my own; and I've designed it around tasks I can accomplish; but making space for "OK, how do I accomplish these outcomes but with a different method?".
Pagan life blog: Haptalaon @ Dreamwidth
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #706 on: May 06, 2020, 03:16:20 pm »

I really, really like a good to-do list, and I also love the structure/pedantry in ceremonial traditions, but...so much of the writing coming out of this zone is just hideous. From statements misunderstanding mental illness ("If you have any kind of mental illness, it's just like having schizophrenia {which I also do not understand anything about except what I've seen in movies}, and you can't do any kind of magic until you Get Well"), to a complete lack of empathy for people who are struggling ("The only way to do anything is 20 minutes of meditation every day, and if you can't do this then you just don't want it enough, and that's your personal failing"), and finally, a good dose of free market capitalist logic ("If you work harder, you'll do better. Everything is personal responsibility and under your personal control. So if you are ill, or struggling, or disadvantaged, it's probably your fault") which is a mindset without much room for the disabled.

Those types of thoughts are so unpleasant, I really dislike how close minded some people are!

And I'm right there with you on loving to-do lists....with my own twists (I struggle most with needing lists to keep myself on track and needing my lists to be flexible enough so that if I don't have the energy to do stuff listed I don't end up feeling worse about not being able to do them).

This week, I turned my thoughts to Solitary Birthdays...  Mine recently passed, and this is one thing I've seen a lot of people struggling with (often for kids, but I think it's something that we feel just as much as adults, we just don't always talk about it).
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 13, 2020, 03:31:57 pm »
Those types of thoughts are so unpleasant, I really dislike how close minded some people are!

And I'm right there with you on loving to-do lists....with my own twists (I struggle most with needing lists to keep myself on track and needing my lists to be flexible enough so that if I don't have the energy to do stuff listed I don't end up feeling worse about not being able to do them).

This week, I turned my thoughts to Solitary Birthdays...  Mine recently passed, and this is one thing I've seen a lot of people struggling with (often for kids, but I think it's something that we feel just as much as adults, we just don't always talk about it).

We are in a crazy time, but I think there is a lot we can do with Magic in crisis

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Fencraft: Seekers of the Landweird
  • Religion: Fencraft (Pagan animism/trad witchcraft/cunning craft/folklore)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
« Reply #708 on: May 15, 2020, 09:02:42 am »
We are in a crazy time, but I think there is a lot we can do with Magic in crisis

A quick, shopping-list/reading-list blog of Folklore Zines I've discovered on Twitter. Can't really support them financially right now, but can support them with some promotion and enthusiasm.

Of interest to people who do sacred walking, folk horror, traditional witchcraft, psychogeography, rural pop culture occult etc. Also, does anyone know of any other small-press/zine/small-circulation zines on these topics which I can add to the post?
Pagan life blog: Haptalaon @ Dreamwidth
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 20, 2020, 02:14:35 pm »
A quick, shopping-list/reading-list blog of Folklore Zines I've discovered on Twitter. Can't really support them financially right now, but can support them with some promotion and enthusiasm.

Of interest to people who do sacred walking, folk horror, traditional witchcraft, psychogeography, rural pop culture occult etc. Also, does anyone know of any other small-press/zine/small-circulation zines on these topics which I can add to the post?

Neat little resource!  I can't think of any I know off hand to add.

This week I wrote about how One small step at a time... can lead to big change.  I think it is so easy to get caught up in thinking only the big, perfect actions have value, and yet life is a series of tiny things that add up to something incredible.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 27, 2020, 01:58:00 pm »
Neat little resource!  I can't think of any I know off hand to add.

This week I wrote about how One small step at a time... can lead to big change.  I think it is so easy to get caught up in thinking only the big, perfect actions have value, and yet life is a series of tiny things that add up to something incredible.

Thinking a bit about 'once in a lifetime' events, and how we end up looking back on hard times

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #711 on: June 01, 2020, 08:58:25 pm »
Thinking a bit about 'once in a lifetime' events, and how we end up looking back on hard times

My witch in practice post talks some about the news from Minneapolis (where I lived for several years), and also about a series of posts I'm working on for being a coven in the time of Covid. (Introduction is up now, I need to do some conversations with various people, but expect to have the whole series up by the end of the month.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 02, 2020, 12:45:07 pm »
My witch in practice post talks some about the news from Minneapolis (where I lived for several years), and also about a series of posts I'm working on for being a coven in the time of Covid. (Introduction is up now, I need to do some conversations with various people, but expect to have the whole series up by the end of the month.)
Good morning this is a great thread a lot has been going on.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 03, 2020, 02:58:49 pm »

Those questions for group work in your Covid post are great!  As an almost exclusively solitary witch, these aren't things that come up often, for me, but when we do host group rituals some of these will be really good to consider (and even the ones about what makes you feel closer/distant from the group...our two local groups have a lot of online and fairly superficial interactions).

Today, I ended up writing a bit about how our perceptions of myths and deities evolve, and what this means to our practice.  Blending faith and fandom

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #714 on: June 06, 2020, 01:55:25 pm »
Today, I ended up writing a bit about how our perceptions of myths and deities evolve, and what this means to our practice.  Blending faith and fandom

It's been a while since I wrote but I ended up writing a piece on trying to understand the recent events in the US ( the murder and protests that have followed ); realising how our lives can all be so different; and how important and valuable we each are.
I'm afraid it's a bit heavy and I'm not sure if everyone will agree with my way of seeing things but, for what it's worth..

https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/06/06/worlds-in-worlds/

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #715 on: June 06, 2020, 04:03:04 pm »

Spoiler:  
"People crying out to be heard because they can’t breath any more."

Man, that line brought tears into my eyes.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 10, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »
It's been a while since I wrote but I ended up writing a piece on trying to understand the recent events in the US ( the murder and protests that have followed ); realising how our lives can all be so different; and how important and valuable we each are.
I'm afraid it's a bit heavy and I'm not sure if everyone will agree with my way of seeing things but, for what it's worth..

https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/06/06/worlds-in-worlds/

Great points about how marching in protests isn't the only way to make a change!

Today I wrote about Celebrating ordinary

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 13, 2020, 07:24:37 pm »
Great points about how marching in protests isn't the only way to make a change!

That's beautiful Kylara and, I hope it's something we'll all hold onto when the pandemic has passed.

So I'm afraid I couldn't help myself, but I can see a bright future which we can reach for and all I know is I have to at least shout for it in some small way.
So, this blog post is about my hopes and a cry to ask for us to try to build a brighter future, not just tear down a dark past/present https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/06/13/the-future/

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 14, 2020, 06:33:53 am »
So I'm afraid I couldn't help myself, but I can see a bright future which we can reach for and all I know is I have to at least shout for it in some small way.

Just wanted to add that the above blog post has been altered to add links I was shown which explain positive plans on/for police reform/defunding

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #719 on: June 15, 2020, 04:05:42 pm »

I'm glad you posted about celebrating ordinary, because I've gone ahead and started a blog of my own, and so far it's the most ordinary thing you can imagine (actually prosaic is the word I used, and is probably more accurate)!

(Although your post is actually quite meaningful and not at all ordinary!)

My first two (introductory) posts can be found here and here.

I can see a bright future which we can reach for and all I know is I have to at least shout for it in some small way.
So, this blog post is about my hopes and a cry to ask for us to try to build a brighter future, not just tear down a dark past/present

As mentioned toward the end of post 2, my next post's likely to be on the topic of 'Calamity', and unlike you Anon100 I've dwelt on that topic (at least in the current edit) without including any ray of hope, because that's just my outlook at present.  Perhaps that'll change by the time I go ahead and post it, but I wouldn't bank on it as it'd require a fairly major rewrite/quite a few new paragraphs.  I hope post 3 will be up in the next day or two (although probably no-one'll want to read it now, given what I've said about it!)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: