collapse

Author Topic: Recently Blogged  (Read 171561 times)

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Recently Blogged
« Reply #675 on: February 23, 2020, 06:35:08 pm »
I've suddenly found myself bombarded with blogs and tv programmes that keep leading me back to how we value ourselves and others . Primarily how we do that on the basis of belonging and difference.
I'm working on a new post about that and am wondering if you'd mind me linking back to your post from it ( I'm also hoping to link back to a post from another blogger about belonging as it's also relevant to my post)?

Ps. I should add that the other blog post I'm hoping to include link to is from a group talking mostly about emotional struggles in life and hasn't any religious ties either way ( this is them if you want to check before allowing me to link your post to my post - https://pointlessoverthinking.com/2020/02/23/do-you-belong/ ).

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #676 on: February 24, 2020, 12:31:45 pm »
I've suddenly found myself bombarded with blogs and tv programmes that keep leading me back to how we value ourselves and others . Primarily how we do that on the basis of belonging and difference.
I'm working on a new post about that and am wondering if you'd mind me linking back to your post from it ( I'm also hoping to link back to a post from another blogger about belonging as it's also relevant to my post)?

Absolutely feel free to link!

Thank you. I honestly hadn't imagined I'd think of much to blog about when I started.
I know, it's amazing that so many people do that. Is it a more recent thing do you think or is it just something that's more obvious now?
I guess some of it is being so overwhelmed in our own bubbles we don't look out or feel things are too big and shy away?

I think there are more options for blogging now, so many different sites and tools for having space to voice your thoughts.  But I do also think people are finding their voices, and starting to pay more attention to what is going in on their head.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 24, 2020, 02:13:46 pm »
Absolutely feel free to link!

Thanks. I've posted it here ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/02/24/what-gives-a-person-value/ ). Simply put value isn't a set of justices scales and sometimes it's the things we thought didn't have value

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 26, 2020, 02:18:25 pm »
Thanks. I've posted it here ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/02/24/what-gives-a-person-value/ ). Simply put value isn't a set of justices scales and sometimes it's the things we thought didn't have value

Hmm, looks like I fell asleep at the end of that post... and sometimes it's the things we thought didn't have value which are the most important parts of us.

Ps. I hope what I put referencing your post was ok Kylara

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 26, 2020, 03:39:51 pm »
Hmm, looks like I fell asleep at the end of that post... and sometimes it's the things we thought didn't have value which are the most important parts of us.

Ps. I hope what I put referencing your post was ok Kylara

Your reference was great!  I also really liked the point that we often judge ourselves more harshly that we judge other people, because I definitely see that as a common thing.  If someone else does something and they are feeling insecure about it, we may encourage them, but we do a similar thing and we think we just aren't any good.  It is often, I think, easier to see the value in other people than in ourselves.

Today, I wrote about Time Correction and how we tend to box ourselves into certain patterns or cycles, and what we can do to reset things when we feel out of alignment.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 01, 2020, 03:42:27 pm »
Your reference was great!  I also really liked the point that we often judge ourselves more harshly that we judge other people, because I definitely see that as a common thing.  If someone else does something and they are feeling insecure about it, we may encourage them, but we do a similar thing and we think we just aren't any good.  It is often, I think, easier to see the value in other people than in ourselves.

Today, I wrote about Time Correction and how we tend to box ourselves into certain patterns or cycles, and what we can do to reset things when we feel out of alignment.

I agree, it's so easy to see the good in others that's hidden in and from ourselves.

I liked your blog. Very good point about how hard it is to take time off. I always feel guilty if I try to do nothing. Even when I'm too ill to work I find myself laying in bed thinking, "Well I feel better now, and anyway I'm sure I'm exagerating how much I need to rest.

The chat on discord and a reminder of how my image on here may sometimes be more 'how great am I' than I know I am has prompted me to create  this post ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/03/01/loneliness-of-living-the-mask/ ) on the lies and masks of my own life and the fears of going maskless. Hopefully its also a reminder of the great lie that we all need to fit in a box.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 04, 2020, 02:24:21 pm »
I agree, it's so easy to see the good in others that's hidden in and from ourselves.

I liked your blog. Very good point about how hard it is to take time off. I always feel guilty if I try to do nothing. Even when I'm too ill to work I find myself laying in bed thinking, "Well I feel better now, and anyway I'm sure I'm exagerating how much I need to rest.

The chat on discord and a reminder of how my image on here may sometimes be more 'how great am I' than I know I am has prompted me to create  this post ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/03/01/loneliness-of-living-the-mask/ ) on the lies and masks of my own life and the fears of going maskless. Hopefully its also a reminder of the great lie that we all need to fit in a box.

Some really great things to think about.  I do agree that often people wear masks as a form of protection, and sometimes that mask becomes such a comfort to them, they cling to it even when they are around people that they don't need it for. 

In an ideal world, I think we could all be true to ourselves, but I don't think we are quite there yet.  I think there is great value in being authentic when showing yourself isn't dangerous, but that we shouldn't feel like we are failing if we have to hide bits of ourselves to stay safe.  It's a very hard call sometimes.

This week I ended up writing a bit about Daylight Savings, but with a twist.  Reframe: more light  Not only about Daylight Savings day and how we react to it, but also how we respond to any inconvenience or challenge in life.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 11, 2020, 03:23:28 pm »

This week I ended up writing a bit about Daylight Savings, but with a twist.  Reframe: more light  Not only about Daylight Savings day and how we react to it, but also how we respond to any inconvenience or challenge in life.

I think that's a great point. It's so easy to see the negative in things but if we see the positive it can have an amazing affect.

My new post is about the current Coronavirus pandemic, or rather our reaction to it and how, if we think first, we can help ourselves and each other in scary situations ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/03/11/think-dont-panic/ )

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 11, 2020, 04:39:17 pm »
I think that's a great point. It's so easy to see the negative in things but if we see the positive it can have an amazing affect.

My new post is about the current Coronavirus pandemic, or rather our reaction to it and how, if we think first, we can help ourselves and each other in scary situations ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/03/11/think-dont-panic/ )

Very good suggestions!

It's funny, I didn't see your post, and I don't tend to write about current events...but this is such a big thing that I ended up writing a response to the panic caused by the pandemic as well (especially the way that news/social media is making things extra crazy).  Great minds think alike! 

I think that Fighting fear is something useful at all times, but especially when there is any kind of emergency going on.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
« Reply #684 on: March 12, 2020, 08:49:41 pm »
Very good suggestions!

It's funny, I didn't see your post, and I don't tend to write about current events...but this is such a big thing that I ended up writing a response to the panic caused by the pandemic as well (especially the way that news/social media is making things extra crazy).  Great minds think alike! 

I think that Fighting fear is something useful at all times, but especially when there is any kind of emergency going on.

Can I be a pedantic little shit for a sec?

"Plastic sheeting and duct tape" was born out two separate pushes by the CDC and the US Department of Homeland Security and neither had anything at all to do with SARS. The CDC published recommendations in late 2002 to have plastic sheeting and duct tape on hand in case of a radiological terrorist attack (ie: dirty bombs). The Department of Homeland Security made a push in very early 2003 to get people to assemble disaster kits, including plastic sheeting and duct tape, in case of a chem/bio terrorist attack.

It had absolutely jack-shit to do with SARS and was not framed as such. The CDC didn't even bother saying anything about SARS until late March 2003 and it wasn't terribly panicky. Domestic advisories didn't start ramping up until early April.

Plastic sheeting and duct tape as a meme might have been associated with SARS by the general public, but that did not come from official sources.

(This is the kind of useless crap that accumulates like dust bunnies in the mind of someone who's not only a nuke nerd, but an infectious disease nerd too.)
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 13, 2020, 01:01:19 pm »
Can I be a pedantic little shit for a sec?

"Plastic sheeting and duct tape" was born out two separate pushes by the CDC and the US Department of Homeland Security and neither had anything at all to do with SARS. The CDC published recommendations in late 2002 to have plastic sheeting and duct tape on hand in case of a radiological terrorist attack (ie: dirty bombs). The Department of Homeland Security made a push in very early 2003 to get people to assemble disaster kits, including plastic sheeting and duct tape, in case of a chem/bio terrorist attack.

It had absolutely jack-shit to do with SARS and was not framed as such. The CDC didn't even bother saying anything about SARS until late March 2003 and it wasn't terribly panicky. Domestic advisories didn't start ramping up until early April.

Plastic sheeting and duct tape as a meme might have been associated with SARS by the general public, but that did not come from official sources.

(This is the kind of useless crap that accumulates like dust bunnies in the mind of someone who's not only a nuke nerd, but an infectious disease nerd too.)

Oh, I am quite certain you are absolutely right, and it was random sources that were suggesting it.  Probably that whole rumor/phone tree effect, where someone remembers hearing it suggested 'for something', and then a new scare came up so they tell a friend, and they tell someone and somewhere along the line it becomes a thing.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 13, 2020, 03:17:39 pm »
Very good suggestions!

That was a surprise. I think maybe it's where it's got to a point that we just had to say something. I think you made a great point about worry weakening health.

So between crazy 'cures' for the Coronavirus, reading about the fair folk, a new set of adverts for Starbucks in which people's relation to their chosen names was front and center and a few memories coming up I felt I needed to write about the power of words and how we need to take care in using them ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/03/13/words-have-power/ )

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 18, 2020, 03:37:08 pm »
That was a surprise. I think maybe it's where it's got to a point that we just had to say something. I think you made a great point about worry weakening health.

So between crazy 'cures' for the Coronavirus, reading about the fair folk, a new set of adverts for Starbucks in which people's relation to their chosen names was front and center and a few memories coming up I felt I needed to write about the power of words and how we need to take care in using them ( https://musinghouse.home.blog/2020/03/13/words-have-power/ )

As a writer I very much think about the power of words...a lot.  And I am definitely more careful choosing my words when I write (whether for something more formal like a blog post, or just a comment on social media) than I am when I speak (I try to be when I speak, but it's so much easier to say something thoughtlessly, at least when I am writing, I have a second to think before I hit post).

My post was sort of inspired (in a roundabout twisty way...) by All Snakes Day, but really it focuses on Fakelore

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 25, 2020, 04:53:57 pm »
As a writer I very much think about the power of words...a lot.  And I am definitely more careful choosing my words when I write (whether for something more formal like a blog post, or just a comment on social media) than I am when I speak (I try to be when I speak, but it's so much easier to say something thoughtlessly, at least when I am writing, I have a second to think before I hit post).

My post was sort of inspired (in a roundabout twisty way...) by All Snakes Day, but really it focuses on Fakelore

Some of the things I am doing right now to help Dealing with dark times...

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 25, 2020, 06:57:10 pm »
Some of the things I am doing right now to help Dealing with dark times...

Another great post.. I've been a bit preocupied of late but this has given me focus for a new post. Would it be ok for me to include a link to your post please?

Tags: