Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Recently Blogged  (Read 169175 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Recently Blogged
« Reply #615 on: September 30, 2019, 11:43:40 am »
and also I shamelessly stole your idea.  ;D

Yay stealing the idea! (I was thrilled when I saw the ping show up on the last post.)

Here's this week's what I've been up to.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #616 on: September 30, 2019, 12:03:30 pm »
Indeed, it is that season.  It isn't autumn unless my entire abode smells of apples and spice.

It's been a while since I've blogged, but I am slowly finding my voice and myself again: Words Gone, Self Lost.

Sounds like you've been on quite the journey, I'm glad you have figured out what was going on, that sounds terrifying!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 30, 2019, 12:05:07 pm »
Happy birthday!

and also I shamelessly stole your idea.  ;D

Practice Makes Progress: Sept 18th-25th.

Yay more everyday stuff!  I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Witches Book of Self Care

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 30, 2019, 12:07:12 pm »
Yay stealing the idea! (I was thrilled when I saw the ping show up on the last post.)

I really like making a donation as an offering, I also find service as an offering works really well for me, when I am able.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2019, 12:44:23 pm »
I really like making a donation as an offering, I also find service as an offering works really well for me, when I am able.

I am overstretched on the 'things that involve leaving the house other than work and the necessary errands and appointments' right now (and have been since about June, and I'm really feeling it: I do a lot better when that's one thing during the week and one on weekends, and I've been at 2-3 most weeks for ages, plus substantial weekend stuff.) But I really wanted something I could do reliably every month, so donation it is!

(I've had some longstanding auto donations set up for other things: this one I am deliberately not putting on auto so that I have to go do the thing every month, and I have a item in my to-do app to remind me.)

Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #620 on: September 30, 2019, 07:03:27 pm »
Sounds like you've been on quite the journey, I'm glad you have figured out what was going on, that sounds terrifying!

Thanks Kylara! It's been a roller coaster, but things are finally leveling out a bit.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 01, 2019, 01:41:54 pm »
I am overstretched on the 'things that involve leaving the house other than work and the necessary errands and appointments' right now (and have been since about June, and I'm really feeling it: I do a lot better when that's one thing during the week and one on weekends, and I've been at 2-3 most weeks for ages, plus substantial weekend stuff.) But I really wanted something I could do reliably every month, so donation it is!

(I've had some longstanding auto donations set up for other things: this one I am deliberately not putting on auto so that I have to go do the thing every month, and I have a item in my to-do app to remind me.)

Finding that balance is definitely helpful (and hard)!  Right now the big thing I'm struggling with is having son home (he did college last year, but not going back, instead heading to Air Force, probably shipping out around December), but I'm used to having the house to myself for big chunks of time, so having someone (even someone I like lol) around ALL the time wears on me.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #622 on: October 02, 2019, 04:50:22 am »
Finding that balance is definitely helpful (and hard)!  Right now the big thing I'm struggling with is having son home (he did college last year, but not going back, instead heading to Air Force, probably shipping out around December), but I'm used to having the house to myself for big chunks of time, so having someone (even someone I like lol) around ALL the time wears on me.

We Navy types like to joke about the Air Force (here's an example), but they're a valuable component of our national defense. And my own father is ex-Air Force (Korea). Which means that he can appreciate this:

"Why can't the services communicate? They simply don't speak the same language. Consider this:
  • If you tell the Navy to 'secure a building', they'll turn out the lights and lock the doors.
  • If you tell the Army to 'secure a building', they'll post armed guards at the entrances and on every floor to keep anyone from coming in or out.
  • If you tell the Marines to 'secure a building', they'll plan a Force Recon aerial assault with paratroopers and gunships and lay waste to every living thing in the vicinity (Marines are kind of nuts).
  • And if you tell the Air Force to 'secure a building', they'll look for a three year lease with an option to purchase..."

(Hee hee!  ;D)
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 02, 2019, 12:27:33 pm »
We Navy types like to joke about the Air Force (here's an example), but they're a valuable component of our national defense. And my own father is ex-Air Force (Korea). Which means that he can appreciate this:

"Why can't the services communicate? They simply don't speak the same language. Consider this:
  • If you tell the Navy to 'secure a building', they'll turn out the lights and lock the doors.
  • If you tell the Army to 'secure a building', they'll post armed guards at the entrances and on every floor to keep anyone from coming in or out.
  • If you tell the Marines to 'secure a building', they'll plan a Force Recon aerial assault with paratroopers and gunships and lay waste to every living thing in the vicinity (Marines are kind of nuts).
  • And if you tell the Air Force to 'secure a building', they'll look for a three year lease with an option to purchase..."

(Hee hee!  ;D)

Hahaha, yeah hubby is ex Navy (nuclear subs), and his father was also Navy.  My dad and Grandfather were Army.  Son is interested in mechanical engineering, so I think that's why he choose Air Force.  But yeah, hubby has made quite a lot of the jokes (because of course Navy is best in his mind lol)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 02, 2019, 02:36:18 pm »

Since spooky season has now started, I talked a bit about Making Scary accessible

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #625 on: October 02, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »
Since spooky season has now started, I talked a bit about Making Scary accessible

I love that you're using butterflies for the kids. 

I'm working on plans and projects: The Next Step

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 07, 2019, 07:28:27 pm »

My Witch in Practice, week 3 post is up, which is mostly a paen to interlibrary loan and the benefits for a current weird bit of Tarot-related research.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 09, 2019, 03:21:17 pm »
I love that you're using butterflies for the kids. 

something is broken in the original link, it looks like the number changed in the date part of the address?  The Next Step this one should work!

I think that focusing on the daily stuff is a great next step.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 09, 2019, 03:27:05 pm »
My Witch in Practice, week 3 post is up, which is mostly a paen to interlibrary loan and the benefits for a current weird bit of Tarot-related research.

I love seeing the process other writers go through...especially witchy writers!  I personally am currently getting over a 'does this break copywrite???' issue (I have determined that, for my current level of exposure/earnings, and the amount of inclusion of pop-culture references....I should be okay with adding a "These things I talked about are not my own creations" at the end)  Writing about pop-cuture Pagans brings interesting challenges LOL

I've been seeing a lot, especially recently about not being witchy enough, and the idea of Witchpectations came into my head last night, so I wrote about not only witchy expectations (I do really like my made up word:  witchpectations) in general, but also some of my own...along with the reality that is my practice and life.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 09, 2019, 04:35:45 pm »
I love seeing the process other writers go through...especially witchy writers!  I personally am currently getting over a 'does this break copywrite???' issue (I have determined that, for my current level of exposure/earnings, and the amount of inclusion of pop-culture references....I should be okay with adding a "These things I talked about are not my own creations" at the end)  Writing about pop-cuture Pagans brings interesting challenges LOL

I can copyright geek for hours (and fairly legitimately: I took the CopyrightX class a few years ago, and did well on the exam!)

My understanding is that referencing is totally fine, the two things that can cause trouble are quoting (especially if it's lyrics/key phrases/bits) and if you are disparaging the pop culture thing (a casual "Oh, that's not my thing" is fine, but misrepresenting the property, or, like, a five page rant about it might be a problem.) Non-fiction stuff that includes analysis, review, etc. can much more easily be measured against standards for fair use, and is usually a lot more straightforward.

(I do really like my made up word:  witchpectations) in general, but also some of my own...along with the reality that is my practice and life.

That's a great post. And I definitely agree.

I miss the 'requires three evenings of prep-work and at least three hours of set-up and an hour+ of cleanup' Samhain rituals we did when I was training. (for a ritual, to be fair, that was usually 3ish hours of ritual time plus a bit of time after). But I am totally not up for that these days. Maybe at some point in the future, with more people to share the workload with (rather than the current one initiate and three students pretty early in learning how we do stuff.) But not this year.

(On the other hand, I'm also someone who has the hobby of walking into Pagan stores looking like a middle-aged librarian, and seeing which people working there take me seriously. So it's not like I don't like messing with that)

Tags: