collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Other: Let's Talk About Death  (Read 1087 times)

Jenett

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Let's Talk About Death
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 10:31:26 am »
All people fear death. The ones who don't, they just reached to a conclusion after thoughts.  :)

*** MOD HAT ON ***

arete -

You have made extremely broad statements about the beliefs and experiences of other people a number of times.

This is against our rules.

Under the "Don't be annoying" rules, it says that rude and annoying behavior includes:  'Making overly broad "All Pagans believe..." or "All Pagans do..." or "Everyone knows..." type statements. Except in the most trivial cases (e.g. "All Living Pagans need to drink water"), such claims are almost always false

This is part of our rules because it is bad for conversation and discussion, and because it is very rude to the people you are talking to.

In this thread, you made the quoted post even after others said they did not believe what you stated, and even after a gentle reminder. This type of post needs to stop.

Because of this repeated pattern, even after reminders, staff are now issuing a strike.  If you continue with this pattern, we will issue additional strikes, then a temporary gag and/or permanent ban if you continue.

It is fine to express your own experiences or opinions, but do not tell other people what they must think, experience, or know.

If you have questions about this, you may contact staff through a private message.

Jenett
Staff Hat on
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 04:01:12 pm »
I think that my God hates death and that His entire purpose these past several thousand years has been to eventually do away with it.

This--among many other reasons--is why Christianity and I don't blend. Although never raised a Christian, living among them my whole childhood and adolescence (mostly Catholics) means I metabolized some of their worldview by osmosis, and the "Culture of Life" was part of that. It took quite some time for me to recognize it, from my experience, as unbalanced--a fetishization of life. My paganism has given me an understanding that better reflects the nature of the world around me.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 04:55:37 pm »
So in case you don't know, I'm a Mortician here in N. Carolina.  I'm not your average Mortician, I believe in having a positive attitude about death.  So I want to talk about death.  Let's clear the air, get read of the dust on the Book of Souls.  The following is a talk I'm giving soon at a local university, figured I'd share here, as well. 

"Death" is a five letter word that can strike any number of emotions into the hearts of anyone who hears the word.  But why?  Is it such a terrible thing that we must eventually face our own morality?  Well, yes, for many that's exactly the case.  I believe that death isn't something we should be afraid of.  It's something we should be prepared for, sure, but not afraid of.  I'm fond of the following definition: death is not the end of life, but simply the next phase in the cycle.  Or as Mister Twain put it "I do not fear death.  I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." 

But why do humans fear this natural occurrence so much?  Death is exactly that, a natural occurrence in the World.  After all, every living being that has ever been could not possibly continue to live for eternity on Earth.  It would be simple chaos and overrun.  There would be no where for even an ant to stand.  Could you imagine if all the ants that have ever lived on Earth continued to live?  It's a huge number.  6.e+26, to be exact.  That's a six with twenty-six zeros behind it.  What about humans?  With roughly seven billion humans on the planet right now, we're nearly maxing out our resources.  What if there were roughly a hundred and seven billion?  It'd be extremely crowded.  Humans have this fear of their own mortality.  It's a hard thing for humans to deal with.  Often times, we live in this bubble, thinking that we can somehow declare ourselves off limits to death.  Often enough, we're faced with the harsh reality of death without warning.  Without preparation of any sort.  Perhaps it's a grandparent, or a parent, or a sibling, or a friend.  Either way, it has a bad habit of slapping us in the face with a bunch of emotions we weren't prepared to deal with.  The truth is, we need death.  We need that part of the cycle, because if we didn't have death, well, it'd be quite crowded on Earth.

Unsolicited feedback:

1. I like this part very much; it highlights the essential necessity of death.

2. As much as I like that part, its abstract evaluation needs balance; I think it would behoove you to more deeply address people's individual, emotional reactions to death, which have little to do with the abstract facts of death's necessity.

3. (Which may help with 2) Humanize your talk with a personal anecdote. You're a mortician! You must have dozens. Maybe use the anecdote as a touchstone to shape your talk. Or to inject some unexpected humor?

Just some thoughts.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

arete

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 09:48:05 am »
*** MOD HAT ON ***

arete -

You have made extremely broad statements about the beliefs and experiences of other people a number of times.

This is against our rules.

Under the "Don't be annoying" rules, it says that rude and annoying behavior includes:  'Making overly broad "All Pagans believe..." or "All Pagans do..." or "Everyone knows..." type statements. Except in the most trivial cases (e.g. "All Living Pagans need to drink water"), such claims are almost always false

This is part of our rules because it is bad for conversation and discussion, and because it is very rude to the people you are talking to.

In this thread, you made the quoted post even after others said they did not believe what you stated, and even after a gentle reminder. This type of post needs to stop.

Because of this repeated pattern, even after reminders, staff are now issuing a strike.  If you continue with this pattern, we will issue additional strikes, then a temporary gag and/or permanent ban if you continue.

It is fine to express your own experiences or opinions, but do not tell other people what they must think, experience, or know.

If you have questions about this, you may contact staff through a private message.

Jenett
Staff Hat on

My own posts will get me banned!

RandallS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 06:24:04 am »
My own posts will get me banned!

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Yes, if you repeatedly break the forum rules when you post, you may eventually get banned. When you get three warning strikes, you get a temporary gag (meaning you can read but not post), then if you get another warning strike, you account is banned.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Tags: