Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Other: High School  (Read 4285 times)

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: High School
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:46 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;138175
I am really not sure where to put this, so apologies if it's not where it should be.

But I was just wondering. High school. How was it for you wonderful people?

Why do you ask, if I may ask? :)

My first half of high school were the worst two years of my life, but I made up for it by having the best two years of my life (so far, in terms of just plain fun) in the second half.

My freshman and sophomore years spent at a public high school after I had changed schools from a private middle school. I was depressed, and I didn't have any friends at school (although I did have friends from my previous school and from the barn). I wasn't bullied or anything, and I (thankfully) found people I ate lunch with friendly-like.

Digressive word of advice if you find yourself holding a lunch tray in front of a crowded cafeteria: head for the stoners (are they still called that?). They'll likely welcome you with open arms, not ask any questions, and give you a good laugh. For the record, I never smoked pot with them; I was a determinedly normal "smart" girl. But without that group, none of whom I had classes with even, things would have been a lot worse.

Having decided I needed to change my life if I was going to make it, I did two big things: I joined the cast of the ren faire and I convinced my mom to let me change schools. So my junior and senior years of high school were freaking' amazing. Acting at the faire let me be who I knew I was all along, and it pushed me in the best way possible. For school, I went to a cyber school with a part-time performing and fine arts program. I got to learn at my own pace, be around artsy-fartsy kids who were just as open-minded as I was, and enjoyed the most freedom I've ever had. I had a blast!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:28:51 pm by Hyacinth Belle »
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »
Quote from: Aiwelin;138241
Someone else said 'hellish', I think that sums mine up well.

((Aiwelin))
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 06:58:50 pm »

I graduated in 1975 so it was long ago. It wasn't that bad -- although I think when I went it was much different world than it is today. For example, when I was in high school, a bomb scare meant class was interrupted and we all stood outside like for a fire drill while 30-40 minutes was wasted with the police checking through the buildings with dogs. Classes then resumed. There were a lot of these during my first two years as the Vietnam War protests were still going strong and I attended high school in a town with 5 military bases. They seldom even made the news. They were annoying especially as they usually came during first period so whatever class you had that period lost 25-30 days out of the year.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
High School
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 08:02:12 pm »
I am really not sure where to put this, so apologies if it's not where it should be.

My secondary school years were hell on earth.
Bullies (including teachers), undiagnosed specific learning difficulties and a load of other shit.
Utterly awful.

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 08:31:50 pm »

I went to a private Catholic school that had a severe class divide, to the extent that some kids drove 25K cars and others like myself rocked a very sweet 1986 Chevy Nova that had no heat, A/C, and I couldn't roll down the driver window. Everytime there was any kind of discussion about money it was a serious gripe fest about how all the poor people mooch off of the rich and poor people are lazy, which really pissed me off since I worked a part time job and had to regularly give my mother money to help keep me in the freakin' place. I did graduate with NHS honors, so rich haters can go to hell...lol

I pretty much hung out with nerds and that was all well and good, but I do recall from my senior year in my AP psychology class (oh, also, took a ton of AP classes since my mother nearly gave me a panic attack once a week about how that 3.75 GPA wasn't good enough to get into college...any college). We were "organized" alphabetically by last name and it ended working out to where I sat right next to the most popular guy in highschool, who eventually started talking to me whenever he felt the need to make a smart ass comment about everything (side note: popular guy was actually smart and I kinda found that attractive at the time). The chick who sat behind me was a whiny rich pain in my ass who was so infuriated about this excessive attention I was getting from "her man" that she would reach across the aisleway and beg him to hold her hand. And he would, the entire class if possible. She then felt the need to make comments about how horrible gay people were and then look at me. Cool moment was when popular guy directly asked me if I was gay, I said no (I did at the time and still do have a short pixie haircut which in a Catholic school setting seemed to scream "gay?") and then told her to knock it off. He them made a comment about how gay marriage is "cool" and went back to taking notes.

I'm pretty sure that the only reason we went on one date is because the football team dared him to. Whatever, I got that date that whiny rich chick never got, so there's that. Also, he may have been secretly angry at me since I'm about 3 inches taller than he was and he couldn't get scouted to a NFL team since you have to be over a certain height for the position he wanted to play.

College on the other hand was way better since I didn't:

1. Have my mother constantly freaking out about everything in my life...and also around me at all since I lived with my grandparents the first half of college and on campus the last two years.
2. After freshman year, I pledged a sorority and they love the heck out of me :D (in fact I have been voted by many actives as coolest alumni). I was also able to really be myself and they still wanted me around, so not all greek life sucks. Yes, they know I'm pagan.
3. INDEPENDENT STUDIES YO! Not having to be in a class with morons, this. is. the. best. thing!
4. My senior year I found the man that I'm currently with for almost 6.5 years and he isn't a tool.

So yeah, it gets better and sometimes it sucks super hard.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:36 pm »

Not good, though I didn't have it that bad. I moved to a small town at the start of 5th grade, and since my family hadn't been there for a few generations we were "outsiders" and unaccepted.  I'm shy with a few hang ups relating to my father dying when I was young, so I had trouble making friends.  My mom dressed me funny and I've had acne since about the 3rd grade, so that sort of pigeon-holed me as fair game for ridicule the rest of my time there.  I got mocked for being smart and not looking pretty.  It was real petty stuff, but I always dreaded going to school each day.  I also run my mouth, so if I heard the mean girls mocking one of my friends, I would speak up and tell them to shut it, which of course just made it worse on me.  Most people were cool, including the popular guys, it was just one group of about 4 stereotypical "mean" girls.

But I did have some good experiences too and some good memories.  I also did a lot better once I started hanging out with the people in the class ahead of me, until senior year of course.  You couldn't pay me enough to go back to high school though.  College was much better.  There were some rough times, but overall it was great and I'd go back and relive it in a heartbeat.

Quote from: RandallS;138257
a bomb scare meant class was interrupted and we all stood outside like for a fire drill while 30-40 minutes was wasted with the police checking through the buildings with dogs. Classes then resumed. There were a lot of these during my first two years as the Vietnam War protests were still going strong and I attended high school in a town with 5 military bases.

When I was in kindergarten we had a few bomb scares through the year.  My school at the time was K-12, so even though the target was the high school we all had to evacuate.  My class went to the Methodist church and we'd continue class there for the rest of the morning.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:39 am »

I went to three different high schools. The second one was actually a pretty nice school, but it was a repeat of school #1 in terms of my social circle becoming too cool for me. In high school #3 I stopped caring and basically became Nancy from The Craft, so things got more entertaining. As school #3 was in the Bible Belt and this was the 90s I was naturally labelled a Satanist. Also a lesbian, because I'd snark back at the guys who made fun of me. (Girls on the other hand... nope nope nope. Where I was from a lot of the girls would physically kick your ass.)

We only ever had one bomb scare. We were evacuated to the other side of the road, which seemed useless then and still does now.

I was at this school from mid grade nine to graduation, and I hung out with the musical theatre/band kids. We were all huge losers, and looked like extras from Degrassi High. (The original.) There was no shortage of drama there, which was amusing. Never let anyone tell you ugly kids don't screw around a lot. My last year was the least awful, since I was taking the advanced English and Art shit and so got to avoid 80% of the people who made my life hell, and my sister and some of her friends and I made a lame little baby coven. So that was fun.

Most of the people I went to school with still live in the burbs and have kids and divorces at this point. I live in a beautiful city, work in the arts, dance, and get to practice my craft freely. Almost all the wonderful friends I have now were also total dorks as teenagers. So what I'm saying is, to anyone suffering through high school, it gets so much better. Don't peak now! Be a loser, be a freak, and you'll be so much more interesting as an adult.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 01:46:21 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;138251
Why do you ask, if I may ask? :)

Uhm, I'm having a bit of a tough time right now and I thought: Hey, these awesome people turned out okay AND survived high school, so why not ask? :whis:
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
High School
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 04:40:29 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;138285
Uhm, I'm having a bit of a tough time right now and I thought: Hey, these awesome people turned out okay AND survived high school, so why not ask? :whis:

For the most part not only can you survive high school, within 10 years you'll have a new circle of friends who you have more in common with than just going to the same school, and the worries and hassles of your teen years will seem trivial.

I thought I'd responded but it appears to have been eaten by the cyber gods.

I moved from a small Kansas town (K - 12 in one building) to the big city (hah!) At the end of primary school, so went from being mostly a socially inept outcast whom everyone knew to a socially inept who blended in with the crowd. By high school I was smart enough to be able to watch and work out how to act in various situations. I wasn't a jock or a cheerleader, wasn't a nerd. Wasn't popular but had a circle of friends who were also misfits and outcasts.

I was also severely depressed and probably had a variation of aspergers, both undiagnosed. To this day I still have problems interacting with people in groups of more than 1 other person at least in face to face interactions.

This was all 30 odd years ago, my class celebrates its 30th reunion this year.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:37 am »

Ah, that's a slightly different question from my end. Things I wish I'd done differently when I was in high school:

1) Spent more time with people who were actually *good* friends, rather than just tolerating me.

2) Spending more time with my own interests (and enjoying them with people who shared them) rather than trying to fit into what other people seemed to like.

And I was really really really nervous about college (my senior spring in high school involved my female friends at the time backstabbing me badly, and I was going to a women's college) but college was amazingly and totally awesome on the friend front. So, y'know. Not the thing I needed to worry about.

(It is notable, however, that when I got to college, I basically said "I'm interested in the stuff I'm interested in, I am going to go find the *other* people who are geeky like I'm geeky.")
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 12:37:40 pm »

I actually enjoyed my high school experience (all 5 years of it :P ). Sure I complained a lot through the whole thing but I learned to challenge the norms and I met three people I can't imagine my life without.

In that environment I sniffed out anyone that didn't seem to quite fit in. First day of Art class I met Kaylie, I had no idea then what she would be to me in the future but thats a story for another time! :P Kaylie and I crafted a little "family of misfits" as the "popular" kids called us. By the end of grade 12 our little family was a force to be reckoned with ;) I think we managed to push over the hierarchy system and as I go back to visit the family as it continues I'm seeing the clique system dissolve. Just a little bit but all good things start small right?

Anyways. High school! It was a wonderful experience for me! :)

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »

In some ways, it's true that high school never ends. But a lot of the bad stuff does go away. Namely you have more control over your life after high school: where you go, what you do, where you work, who you hang out with. So having more autonomy cancels out the cliques / bullies / close-minded people who are unavoidable in high school.

In the meantime, take whatever control you can. And try not to be afraid! Everyone is afraid in high school, at some point. Keep your eye on the prize (moving out, going to college--whatever your "prize" is) and just bide your time doing what you can to make things as good as possible for now.

You'll get there! :)
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 09:38:13 pm »

Well, there was that time when I switched the valedictorian's speech with an invocation I copied from pages of the Necronomicon by Simon. Caused the front row to pass-out, a lot of crows to start circling overhead, and every girl with a birthday on the 13th of the month came away from graduation mysteriously pregnant. :p

But all kidding aside, high school was an interesting time. It was right at the end of 8th grade that I transfered completely to the high school near where my dad lived. I was the new guy, and with that came all the lovely challenges that being the new guy came with. I wasn't some scrawny little dude, I was burly and large but didn't care for sports. I liked to think, liked to read, and found a lot of what went on in freshmen year to be kinda boring. I was a kid raised in the country, trying to blend in with all the suburban and city kids. You'd find me at lunch in the library, usually reading a gaming magazine or a copy of Budge's book of the dead, or something on grecian myth or japanese legend. In short, I was kind of a ghost.

It was how I dealt with the fact that at home my father's wife was as unstable a cat balancing fragile china plates on a cement floor. It was also the time where I started learning, to my dad's chagrin, that I wasn't like him. I was developing my own ideas about politics, religion, how people should treat one another. I was never an ass about it, but my dad thought I should be running around with friends, smokin weed, carousing and enjoying being young and stupid and learning from being stupid. He never really noticed that I knew that acting that way never ended well and I couldn't stand those kinds of people. I preferred reading magazines about card games like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic:The Gathering and dinosaur remains to sports illustrated.

After that year of feeling like a stranger in a strange land I moved back to where I had come from, the large town of Greenville, OH. All the friends I had made, all the people I had known...I fit right back in. My friends had always been the kids from the wrong side of the tracks, the freaks, the geeks, and the guys who took the piss out of everything. But I was also friends with the other cliques and was generally well liked by everyone. I was that one guy to whom social status meant didly. Granted it was also a smaller community, which I think helped in that regard. Also helped that our school had a very strong vocational training influence/building with it so alot of us were looking at the big picture from the get go and what we were gonna do once we got out of there.

Having said that, Greenville was one of the worst places you could be if you weren't part of the "norm". This was a school where the populace was, and still is, overwhelmingly anglo-saxon, protestant, conservative (we're talking tea party and KKK sponsored conservative), and VERY heteronormative. Being the guy whose ancestry was a mix of non anglo European (magyar), romani, and native american, who was deeply interested in non-christian religion, whose politics ran left of center, and who had no real beef with the LGB or the Trans communities made me very aware of just how much to keep to myself to avoid being shunned, exorcised, strung up, or all three. My close friends knew these things, and were the few students who were either agnostic/atheist, left of center in political views, had no qualms with people being "different", were none anglo, or a mix of all of the above. But I never let it push me down or stop me from succeeding.

I learned that no matter what, you leave high school, and in the real world all the crap of high school really matters only if you let it. Focus on what you want to do, how you want to do it, and who you want to do it with and the sky is the limit to what you'll accomplish.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Tags: