Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Other: Boredom  (Read 1992 times)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
Boredom
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:08:18 pm »
What are your solutions to boredom? Favorite past-times? Certain kind of discussions or practices? Anyway, it is one of the things that drew me towards neo-paganism. Whatever else it might be, paganism does not see mundane and boring.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:02:20 pm by RandallS »

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:24:06 pm »
What are your solutions to boredom? Favorite past-times? Certain kind of discussions or practices? Anyway, it is one of the things that drew me towards neo-paganism. Whatever else it might be, paganism does not see mundane and boring.

I meant to write "paganism does not SEEM mundane and boring." I hate typos and limited edit functions. I am a poor typist.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:40:16 pm »
What are your solutions to boredom? Favorite past-times? Certain kind of discussions or practices? Anyway, it is one of the things that drew me towards neo-paganism. Whatever else it might be, paganism does not seem mundane and boring.

I guess what I am asking is suggestions as to what you find interesting or entertaining in your downtime. That is, especially on your own, not in a social group. For example, I like table-top games but can't play them when I am alone and bored at night. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 11:45:23 pm »
I guess what I am asking is suggestions as to what you find interesting or entertaining in your downtime. That is, especially on your own, not in a social group. For example, I like table-top games but can't play them when I am alone and bored at night. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pretty much comes down to art( even if you aren't good at it, you can only get good by trying), exercise,  or reading.  Also I have a couple of dogs, at least one of whom is almost always up for playing.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 11:50:07 pm »
Pretty much comes down to art( even if you aren't good at it, you can only get good by trying), exercise,  or reading.  Also I have a couple of dogs, at least one of whom is almost always up for playing.

Yes, sounds good. My art skills have atrophied and I can't keep pets in my apartment. Maybe I should take an art class and reboot my drawing skills? Sometimes I will do Tai Chi at night as long as it does not overstimulate me. Anyway, thanks for the response!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 09:05:22 am »

Boredom is not a problem I have - I'm a lot more likely to have "I would like to do things, but don't have the spoons/focus/etc."

I work full time, so on the average weeknight there's about 5 hours between when I get home from work and when I should really be in bed working on going to sleep. Usually about an hour or 90 minutes is household stuff (make and eat dinner, have a bath, maybe tidy a thing), 60-90 minutes is writing time, and about 90 minutes is some other project.

There are days that other project is 'putter mindlessly on the Internet because no brain' but a lot of the time it's other things: creative projects, doing things that are not writing (I do a fortnightly newsletter of intriguing links). Sometimes it's knitting (though not very often, recently). Sometimes it's prepping for coven stuff. Basically, I keep very long lists of projects and things to watch, and I never get enough time for any of them.

I read for 15-30 minutes before falling asleep, and that time would be longer except that I'm usually up chatting to people online until past my best bedtime. Keeping in touch with friends via online tools is really important to me.

On the weekends, it varies. On average we're doing coven stuff every other weekend, and that eats up a significant chunk of that day (between prepping the space, the 3 hours we're together, cleaning up afterwards, and sending out the post-class notes.)

I do larger writing project tasks (like editing, which is a thing I can't do after work, my brain just won't reliably), and usually on Sunday mornings I take an hour or three to do more focused Pagan/magical/etc. study (I'm doing more astrology stuff, which works better for me with a bit more immersive time). I also often do a larger cooking prep thing sometime on Sunday, so I have a couple of meals for the next week.

Because of my health issues, I don't go out a lot beyond work and really necessary errands. (I actually limit my 'go out and do things' commitments pretty heavily outside of work, so I've gotten very used to doing the online thing for keeping in touch with people, and planning actual 'go do this' activities well in advance. I'm pretty much booked up for January right now, for example.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 02:32:07 pm »
Boredom is not a problem I have - I'm a lot more likely to have "I would like to do things, but don't have the spoons/focus/etc."

I work full time, so on the average weeknight there's about 5 hours between when I get home from work and when I should really be in bed working on going to sleep. Usually about an hour or 90 minutes is household stuff (make and eat dinner, have a bath, maybe tidy a thing), 60-90 minutes is writing time, and about 90 minutes is some other project.

There are days that other project is 'putter mindlessly on the Internet because no brain' but a lot of the time it's other things: creative projects, doing things that are not writing (I do a fortnightly newsletter of intriguing links). Sometimes it's knitting (though not very often, recently). Sometimes it's prepping for coven stuff. Basically, I keep very long lists of projects and things to watch, and I never get enough time for any of them.

I read for 15-30 minutes before falling asleep, and that time would be longer except that I'm usually up chatting to people online until past my best bedtime. Keeping in touch with friends via online tools is really important to me.

On the weekends, it varies. On average we're doing coven stuff every other weekend, and that eats up a significant chunk of that day (between prepping the space, the 3 hours we're together, cleaning up afterwards, and sending out the post-class notes.)

I do larger writing project tasks (like editing, which is a thing I can't do after work, my brain just won't reliably), and usually on Sunday mornings I take an hour or three to do more focused Pagan/magical/etc. study (I'm doing more astrology stuff, which works better for me with a bit more immersive time). I also often do a larger cooking prep thing sometime on Sunday, so I have a couple of meals for the next week.

Because of my health issues, I don't go out a lot beyond work and really necessary errands. (I actually limit my 'go out and do things' commitments pretty heavily outside of work, so I've gotten very used to doing the online thing for keeping in touch with people, and planning actual 'go do this' activities well in advance. I'm pretty much booked up for January right now, for example.)

That sounds like a great, full life. I myself normally do not get bored often, but when I do it can be a problem. I am pretty nocturnal, so I will often stay up reading and writing when I can not sleep. Sometimes I just need to do something mindless to occupy myself.

I think too much, and I need to find things to do to get myself out of my head. Something physical, not cerebral. Tai Chi helps a lot in that regard, but I try not to do too much of it so I don't get jaded with that either. Anyway, thanks for the response.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 03:43:23 pm »
I like table-top games but can't play them when I am alone and bored at night.

I used to spend lots of time playing different Patience type games with a deck of cards (Solitaire) - also, Mahjong on the computer (and then later hidden object games on the computer).

Maybe I should take an art class and reboot my drawing skills? Sometimes I will do Tai Chi at night as long as it does not overstimulate me.

An art class is an option, or if not affordable there's probably tutorials on YouTube you could watch.

I used to like tai chi for it's meditative effects.

This is more me these days, unfortunately for me.

Sometimes I just need to do something mindless to occupy myself.

I think too much, and I need to find things to do to get myself out of my head. Something physical, not cerebral.

I was given a book called Loom Band Jewellery All Grown Up, or something similar, along with a loom band making kit at one stage.  Not a hobby I'd have selected for myself but turned out it was good for taking my mind off my restless legs syndrome.  Not necessarily suggesting that you take up this in particular, but maybe consider learning knitting or crochet as a possibility.

Good luck with it, anyway.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 03:51:27 pm »
I used to spend lots of time playing different Patience type games with a deck of cards (Solitaire) - also, Mahjong on the computer (and then later hidden object games on the computer).

An art class is an option, or if not affordable there's probably tutorials on YouTube you could watch.

I used to like tai chi for it's meditative effects.

This is more me these days, unfortunately for me.

I was given a book called Loom Band Jewellery All Grown Up, or something similar, along with a loom band making kit at one stage.  Not a hobby I'd have selected for myself but turned out it was good for taking my mind off my restless legs syndrome.  Not necessarily suggesting that you take up this in particular, but maybe consider learning knitting or crochet as a possibility.

Good luck with it, anyway.

Yes, thanks for the response and the suggestions, Pickle. I had not thought to use YouTube to get art lessons. Good idea! I might try online chess also (instead of mahjong). Thanks again...

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 94
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal