Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Big Bang Was Actually A Phase Change: New Theory  (Read 1748 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Big Bang Was Actually A Phase Change: New Theory
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:06:10 am »
From an article posted yesterday on Space.com:

How did the universe begin? The Big Bang is traditionally envisioned as the moment when an infinitely dense bundle of energy suddenly burst outward, expanding in three spatial directions and gradually cooling down as it did so.

Now, a team of physicists says the Big Bang should be modeled as a phase change: the moment when an amorphous, formless universe analogous to liquid water cooled and suddenly crystallized to form four-dimensional space-time, analogous to ice.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Big Bang Was Actually A Phase Change: New Theory
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:53:23 pm »
Quote from: Sage;70181

It's an interesting hypothesis, but it needs to be a bit more predictive to be checked out. That is, the needs to be more specificity about the "cracks" before anyone can really look for them.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Big Bang Was Actually A Phase Change: New Theory
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:41:24 pm »
Quote from: Sage;70181

Weeeeelll...actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;70259
It's an interesting hypothesis, but it needs to be a bit more predictive to be checked out. That is, the needs to be more specificity about the "cracks" before anyone can really look for them.

The article seems to be pretty much all about the metaphor being used for this, and not about the hypothesis itself.  That could be simply because the only ways to talk about it are a) lots of advanced math, or b) metaphor - but I get the sense that it's not just the reporter taking the metaphor a bit too literally, but the researchers themselves being a bit too enamored of their metaphor.

Hard to tell without reading the paper, and I strongly suspect I wouldn't get any farther than the first equation.  (This'll likely make it to Universe Today; if so, there's a regular commenter there whose comments give every appearance that his first language isn't English, it's math - I can't follow most of his comments, either, but I can get a better sense of things from attempting to do so.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;70274
The article seems to be pretty much all about the metaphor being used for this, and not about the hypothesis itself.  That could be simply because the only ways to talk about it are a) lots of advanced math, or b) metaphor - but I get the sense that it's not just the reporter taking the metaphor a bit too literally, but the researchers themselves being a bit too enamored of their metaphor.

The effects briefly described in the article sound somewhat similar to "cosmic string" (1-demensional topological defects in spacetime that might have been produced during some of the phase transitions just after the big bang. The difference here seems to be that these "cracks" would have produced by the big bang itself (or what lead up to the big bang -- it hard to say form the article). I don't think any signs of cosmic string have ever been detected.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: