collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 24 September 2020: $539 donated. Only $171 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Disconnection by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 08:06:59 pm]

Re: Recently Blogged by sevensons
[Yesterday at 07:56:07 pm]

Re: Recently Blogged by Kylara
[Yesterday at 02:53:33 pm]

Re: Disconnection by sevensons
[Yesterday at 12:33:30 pm]

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead, and perhaps so is the U.S. by anubisa
[Yesterday at 01:28:57 am]

Author Topic: Op-Ed: Stop doing companies’ digital busywork for free  (Read 881 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Op-Ed: Stop doing companies’ digital busywork for free
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:54:10 pm »
The title of this long op-ed piece is somewhat misleading as it is not really about "getting paid"....

Consumer technologies – whether user reviews and recommendations, social media or health care portals – involve logistical effort that means more administrative work at home. As economic anthropologist David Graeber observes, “All the software designed to save us from administrative responsibilities [has] turned us into part- or full-time administrators.” Companies may benefit when customers create content, provide feedback and do busywork once done by paid employees, but what about the customers themselves – all of us?

Read the entire article
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Op-Ed: Stop doing companies’ digital busywork for free
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:15:18 pm »
The title of this long op-ed piece is somewhat misleading as it is not really about "getting paid"....

Read the entire article

I do know that everybody these days is asking you to "fill out a survey". Sometimes they dangle "a drawing for a gift card" as a carrot. Yeah, one gift card for every 50,000 surveys. I've gotten sick of it. About the only time I ever fill one of those things out is if someone has really made me mad. Which happens more and more often, these days....
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:54:39 pm »
I do know that everybody these days is asking you to "fill out a survey". Sometimes they dangle "a drawing for a gift card" as a carrot. Yeah, one gift card for every 50,000 surveys. I've gotten sick of it. About the only time I ever fill one of those things out is if someone has really made me mad. Which happens more and more often, these days....
I refuse to any more. My husband’s job used to be affected by those surveys, so I don’t leave bad ones ei

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Niuve

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Asatru (loosely), shrubbery (hedgecraft), <insert_religion_here
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 11:05:30 pm »

Read the entire article

#selfcheckout

But yeah...it’s huge right now for companies to herd consumers into doing work for them to cut employment costs. Kind of funny after all that fuss about immigrants...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: