collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Nomad Planets on the Loose!  (Read 1790 times)

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Nomad Planets on the Loose!
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »
Our universe just keeps getting cooler. (Or anyway, our increasingly better knowledge of it lets us in on the coolness.)

‘Nomad planets’ may mob the Milky Way

“Nomad planets” are special because they do not orbit a star like Earth, but wander through space without a home. There may be as many as 100,000 times more “nomad planets” in the Milky Way than stars.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/2012/02/25/nomad-planets-may-mob-the-milky-way/

I vote we name the first one Melancholia. Or better yet, Mongo! (My fantasies of a tyrannical reign as Ming the Merciless may yet be realized!)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Nomad Planets on the Loose!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »
Quote from: Altair;44079

(The copy editor in me really wants to rewrite the quoted passage to read: "...because they do not orbit a star, as Earth does,...")
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:22:42 pm »

I vote we name the first one Melancholia.

:eek::eek:
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Nomad Planets on the Loose!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »
Quote from: Altair;44080
(The copy editor in me really wants to rewrite the quoted passage to read: "...because they do not orbit a star, as Earth does,...")

*giggle* I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that!
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:13:52 pm »

I'd love to know where the maybe 100,000 times more "nomad planets" than stars in the galaxy is coming from, given they've discovered 12. I'll look into this and see if this number is realistic or journalistic hype.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;44092
I'd love to know where the maybe 100,000 times more "nomad planets" than stars in the galaxy is coming from, given they've discovered 12. I'll look into this and see if this number is realistic or journalistic hype.

Even if your definition of a planet includes protostellar and post-stellar objects such as brown dwarfs, that figure seems very improbable to me

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:32 pm »
Quote from: Dragonoake;44607
Even if your definition of a planet includes protostellar and post-stellar objects such as brown dwarfs, that figure seems very improbable to me

Same here, but haven't been able to find anything (yet) to tell me whether this is journalistic hype/statement taken out of context or reality.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:44:58 am »
Quote from: RandallS;44617
Same here, but haven't been able to find anything (yet) to tell me whether this is journalistic hype/statement taken out of context or reality.

Found the original paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1201.2687.pdf

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:07 am »
Quote from: Dragonoake;44629
Found the original paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1201.2687.pdf

A quick scan isn't showing me where the number in the article is coming from. However, I noter that the paper talks a lot of uncertainty in the numbers of nomad planets. i also saw a mention of the idea that some of these planets may themselves have satellites (which may be included in the total nomad planets projections (but I'm not yet sure -- this was a very quick skim). If nomad planets do have satellites in about the same proportion as planets in our solar system and they each count as a nomad planet, then the huge figure stated in the news article might be believable to me as a upper end figure.  More after I have a chance to actually read the article.
Randall

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;44650
i also saw a mention of the idea that some of these planets may themselves have satellites (which may be included in the total nomad planets projections.

If you include any ice ball (comet, KBO, etc.) massive enough to form a spherical shape, the figure might be believable

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:44:30 pm »
Quote from: Dragonoake;44892
If you include any ice ball (comet, KBO, etc.) massive enough to form a spherical shape, the figure might be believable

And that may be where that figure came from.
Randall

Tags: