collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: NASA Releases 'Told Ya So' Apocalypse Video Early.  (Read 1451 times)

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
NASA Releases 'Told Ya So' Apocalypse Video Early.
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:05 pm »
Dec. 21, 2012, has long been rumored to be the day of the Mayan apocalypse, when Earth comes to its inglorious end. The good folks at NASA want you to know that isn't going to happen.

Full article:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nasa-releases-told-ya-apocalypse-video-early-205905003.html

I had trouble getting the video to play on the yahoo page, so here it is on youtube:

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

WarHorse

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: NASA Releases 'Told Ya So' Apocalypse Video Early.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:01:48 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;84474
Full article:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nasa-releases-told-ya-apocalypse-video-early-205905003.html

I had trouble getting the video to play on the yahoo page, so here it is on youtube:

Like.
"The Author of all things watches over me, and I have a fine horse."  Mattie Ross, True Grit.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:10:20 pm »
Full article:

Science rules! ;)

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:59:28 am »
Full article:

I really wish that people who otherwise have zero knowledge about or interest in the indigenous cultures of the Americas in general, and the Maya in particular, would just shut up about this already. We've had one high-profile scientist give his uninvited (and uninformed) opinion about all of this to his cult following already. I don't care if it's "disproving" this, or what. The most basic level of human decency would be to at least stop attributing it to anyone but white sensationalist idiots if it has to be brought up. (And it will, because omg the traffic and ad impressions and indigenous people of Central America are all dead or summat anyways so w/e)

/rant
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:02:24 am by Maps »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:11 pm »
Quote from: Maps;84543
I really wish that people who otherwise have zero knowledge about or interest in the indigenous cultures of the Americas in general, and the Maya in particular, would just shut up about this already. We've had one high-profile scientist give his uninvited (and uninformed) opinion about all of this to his cult following already. I don't care if it's "disproving" this, or what. The most basic level of human decency would be to at least stop attributing it to anyone but white sensationalist idiots if it has to be brought up. (And it will, because omg the traffic and ad impressions and indigenous people of Central America are all dead or summat anyways so w/e)

Huh.  While I've seen science-centred takedowns that fail to note the existence of modern Central American indigenes, most if not all of the ones I see most definitely do make a point of saying, "the ancient Mayans who made the calendar didn't come up with this apocalyptic crap, that's modern misconception."  (Here's a recent example, with a bit more detail about how the modern newagey poppycock got started than many takedowns go into, but otherwise fairly typical of what I'm seeing.)

Might be a reflection of my choice in sources; I'm reading almost entirely directly from the astronomy community - I've pretty much given up on most mainstream media.

My Flash doesn't work, so no video for me.  Is NASA, of all entities, actually doing the "haha the Mayans were wrong" thing here?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:02:07 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;84683
My Flash doesn't work, so no video for me.  Is NASA, of all entities, actually doing the "haha the Mayans were wrong" thing here?

No, they went into full detail on how the Mayan Calender worked (they compared it to an odometer) and that there is nothing in the Mayan records that can be called a "doomsday prophecy."  The "told ya so" was aimed at the Westerners who misinterpreted it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:08:38 am by Melamphoros »

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tags: