collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 25 October 2020: $610 donated. Only $100 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Struggling Family of 5 by Cass Family
[Today at 01:06:32 am]


Re: Struggling Family of 5 by Jenett
[Today at 12:58:01 am]


Struggling Family of 5 by Cass Family
[Yesterday at 11:43:45 pm]


Re: Prayers for my lap band surgery by anubisa
[Yesterday at 06:48:40 pm]


Re: Developing and Nurturing a Positive Mindset by Ashmire
[Yesterday at 02:17:02 pm]

Author Topic: Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND  (Read 1066 times)

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10251
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:56 am »
Scientists with CERN and ATLAS have announced that they are 99.9999% certain that they have found a new particle -- a particle appears to fit the description of the Higgs boson.

Read the article

If you want to know about the Higgs boson (and the Higgs field) and why it is important, see CERN's Frequently Asked Questions: The Higgs! page.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

HeartShadow

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2195
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:23:33 am »
Quote from: RandallS;62722
Scientists with CERN and ATLAS have announced that they are 99.9999% certain that they have found a new particle -- a particle appears to fit the description of the Higgs boson.

Read the article

If you want to know about the Higgs boson (and the Higgs field) and why it is important, see CERN's Frequently Asked Questions: The Higgs! page.

 
Well, so much for time travel or the world gets destroyed!!!!

Faemon

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1229
  • Total likes: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:46:17 am »
Quote from: RandallS;62722
Scientists with CERN and ATLAS have announced that they are 99.9999% certain that they have found a new particle -- a particle appears to fit the description of the Higgs boson.

Read the article

Well, I did guess it was a stand-in-for something... like, once they reached where the Higg's thummy would be, it would actually be some cohesive kind of plexiglass and we'd see our parallel mirror universe out the other side of it where we all wear cowboy hats, and wave to each other. Or something.

Equally cool bananas, this.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Dragonoake

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Location: Arkansas
  • Posts: 328
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:05:58 am »
Quote from: RandallS;62722
a particle appears to fit the description of the Higgs boson.

 
Herein lies the problem ...
It fits the general description, but how can you be sure?
It's kind of looking for  67 Camaro without knowing what it looks like: all you know is that you're looking for a car about 15' long with a wheelbase around 107" and weighs around 2700 pounds ...
You found a car that car like that, but a 63 Valiant fits that description just as well, so you need more information to be sure

Etheric1

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 421
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:09:01 am »
Quote from: Dragonoake;62808
Herein lies the problem ...
It fits the general description, but how can you be sure?
It's kind of looking for  67 Camaro without knowing what it looks like: all you know is that you're looking for a car about 15' long with a wheelbase around 107" and weighs around 2700 pounds ...
You found a car that car like that, but a 63 Valiant fits that description just as well, so you need more information to be sure

Um, if they are as certain as they say, and considering how slow science is to acknowledge things unless there is strong evidence that stands up to scrutiny and can be repeatable, I'm inclined to believe them.  They are going to be way more specific than your above example about thing. They've put A LOT of money and time into this, they are not going to make bold claims unless they are prepared to back them up.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:12:22 am by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10251
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35:26 am »
Quote from: Etheric1;62810
Um, if they are as certain as they say, and considering how slow science is to acknowledge things unless there is strong evidence that stands up to scrutiny and can be repeatable, I'm inclined to believe them.

All they have really said is that they are certain they have found a particle (5 sigma certainty: 99.9999%). The particle found is where they expected the Higgs to be based on prior research. But they haven't said it is the Higgs -- that will take more research (determining its spin, for example). It probably is the Higgs, but there is a chance it could instead be some new, unexpected particle.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Amethyst

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2012
  • Posts: 75
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://aamethyst.wordpress.com/
Re: Looks Like the Higgs Boson Has Been FOUND
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:49 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;62816
All they have really said is that they are certain they have found a particle (5 sigma certainty: 99.9999%). The particle found is where they expected the Higgs to be based on prior research. But they haven't said it is the Higgs -- that will take more research (determining its spin, for example). It probably is the Higgs, but there is a chance it could instead be some new, unexpected particle.

 
In either case, it is an exciting new development :D (I hope it the Higgs, but it's for a sort of inside-joke with a class at school...) I'll have to keep an eye out for when they officially publish the information, with whether they truly believe it to be the Higgs or not.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.//Serbian Proverb
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.//Mark Twain
Member of the New Order of Druids//Greener Paths

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
1677 Views
Last post March 10, 2012, 08:21:23 am
by RandallS
1 Replies
630 Views
Last post December 22, 2012, 08:30:04 am
by RandallS
3 Replies
735 Views
Last post January 25, 2014, 07:55:54 am
by RandallS
97 Replies
7401 Views
Last post March 28, 2016, 08:56:55 pm
by DIASPORA-1963
4 Replies
769 Views
Last post July 05, 2020, 11:37:54 am
by Sophia C

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal