Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ketamine has been found to help with depression  (Read 2529 times)

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Ketamine has been found to help with depression
« on: July 03, 2020, 02:04:54 pm »
"A lack of neural plasticity in the hippocampus has been implicated in the development of depression. Ketamine is able to restore hippocampal plasticity in a rat model of depression, potentially illustrating a mechanism for the drug's anti-depressant effects"
Some key takeaways:
  • Accumulating evidence suggests that dysregulation of neural plasticity in the hippocampus contributes to the pathophysiology of depression
  • This study was conducted to explore the anti-depressant effects of ketamine in mice - specifically if ketamine is able to impact neural plasticity of the hippocampus
  • The results show that Ketamine was able to restore synaptic plasticity in the dorsal hippocampus of mice - indicating that it may be able to reverse the stress-induced lack of plasticity seen in depression
To read more about this study, please click here for the link.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Ketamine has been found to help with depression
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:20:21 pm »
"A lack of neural plasticity in the hippocampus has been implicated in the development of depression. Ketamine is able to restore hippocampal plasticity in a rat model of depression, potentially illustrating a mechanism for the drug's anti-depressant effects"
Some key takeaways:
  • Accumulating evidence suggests that dysregulation of neural plasticity in the hippocampus contributes to the pathophysiology of depression
  • This study was conducted to explore the anti-depressant effects of ketamine in mice - specifically if ketamine is able to impact neural plasticity of the hippocampus
  • The results show that Ketamine was able to restore synaptic plasticity in the dorsal hippocampus of mice - indicating that it may be able to reverse the stress-induced lack of plasticity seen in depression

Previous studies have shown this too, in humans, together with its positive effects for anxiety. It's pretty widely known by the medical establishment (although possibly not this specific mechanism of treatment). Summary of more studies here. https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/topics/anxiety/ketamine-a-promising-novel-therapy-for-anxiety-and-ptsd/

It seems to work very differently from most medication for depression and anxiety, with a 10-ish day effect that then wears off entirely. My guess is that it will never be widely prescribed due to how controversial it is, but maybe I'll be proven wrong...
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
It seems to work very differently from most medication for depression and anxiety, with a 10-ish day effect that then wears off entirely. My guess is that it will never be widely prescribed due to how controversial it is, but maybe I'll be proven wrong...

Just wait until the herbal supplement crowd gets hold of it ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:13:47 am »
Some key takeaways:

Yeah no shit lmao. Ketamine has different effects on different people ofc, and it can be tricky to avoid falling into the hellish purgatory of a k-hole, but it definitely has its merits in this area. I, too, doubt that it’ll hit the mainstream for mental health purposes, but it’s always nice and validating to see studies like these.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 11:37:54 am »
Yeah no shit lmao. Ketamine has different effects on different people ofc, and it can be tricky to avoid falling into the hellish purgatory of a k-hole, but it definitely has its merits in this area. I, too, doubt that it’ll hit the mainstream for mental health purposes, but it’s always nice and validating to see studies like these.

I take an *incredibly* small dose orally (for chronic pain - prescribed by a pain clinic). I don’t even get a high, never mind the very negative side effects like that. I think if doctors worked with it, they could get it to work for people without problems. Unfortunately I don’t foresee it happening because they’re so skittish. A shame really.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: